FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 09:34 am   Permalink

Here is another mask getting close to being done. Been busy as usual so the carving time only comes in small spurts.

Still have lots to go, but he's getting there.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 11:46 am   Permalink

Looking good. I'm glad to see that your not too busy to carve. I like the way the "mouth" runs flush at the bottom. Keep 'em comin'.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 11:53 am   Permalink

lookin' good, loki!! you wouldn't guess it's all hollowed out on the back by looking at it from the front. it's looking great so far, keep the progress pics coming.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 12:05 pm   Permalink

hey that looks REALLY nice. good stuff. like the nose on em

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 12:10 pm   Permalink

LOki, this Mask is really Nice, probably among your Best piecesss. Verrry Nice! I Likee!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 1:16 pm   Permalink

Looks great, Loki! And hey, don't worry about the coming in small spurts - it's pretty typical actually...

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 1:19 pm   Permalink

Josh, i set that up just for you....just wait till tomorrow night..i'll be the guy heckling from the back of the room...

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 2:05 pm   Permalink

That's a really crisp and clean piece of work Loki, I'm looking forward to seeing how you're going to finish this guy.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 4:10 pm   Permalink

Been busy building a new bar and finishing some new masks. My father in law (Papa Bear) is visiting and has been helping us with the bar build. Stumpgrinder had knee surgery on monday so she got to be on the artistic side of this build out.

we wanted a clean design with a modern shape. The idea is to have the piece look like a nice piece of furniture and not a bar. It is on casters and will sit against a wall and has a tile top, almost like a butchers block. We also wanted a Maori theme to it. No disrespect to the Maori people intended with it being a bar. All the booze will be hidden in the inside and it will only be rolled out for bar use. I think we got close. Its all custom made from the design to the finishing touches.

The frame is made from 2x3's, and we used venered 1/2 plywood for the skin.

A Maori pakura pattern was drawn onto 1x3 pine boards by Stump Grinder and I carved the design into the wood. It was over 32 feet of custom carving. Very tedious but fullfilling. I actually carved it faster then Stump could draw it. I think she had the worse job. We were closed up for Hurricane Ernesto, so we had the time. She really started to get the hang of the pattern and i really got quick with the carving.

The artwork used were prints of Maori Chiefs we bought when we visited Rotorua, NZ. We wanted to use them in the house but just couldnt decide what to do with them. Then we got this idea. Stump Grinder cut the shapes and burned the edges to give it an aged look. They were glued on and then lightly stained the same Red Oak we used for the finish color. She applied the Poly with added stain to the prints and gave it a few heavy coats to seal them in well.

The bar in its new home with Slacks Ferrets Tiki's Playing Poker art. Thanks again Slacks, it looks so great on the wall.

The inside of the bar has a custome made lazy susan for all the syrups and smaller bottles to use the space more efficiently and we have plenty of storage space for glasses and bar accessories.

The photos dont really show the true color of anything. It looks so great in person.

Well thanks for looking and cheers.

More goodies coming in the next few days.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

Loki is represent'n !!! Dayumm! That mask, The bar! The details....Whoa! (and I saw the STI! Keep it down there please) Too fast for my wanna beast (stage III SC comin soon though.)

Awesome work Loki

Peace

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 7:08 pm   Permalink

hey, loki, here's that pic. weird, huh?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 7:34 pm   Permalink

Loki,

Wow, I love the carved trim you put on there. Very nice! Who is that funky lookin' dude with the goate and the back brace? He looks kinda shady? It looks like Stumpgrinder came up with the magic touches for this one. A beautiful project all around. I bet it look awesome in the house. Is it down by the pool table or up in the main room? I love the whole idea of it. Very well done!

Tell Stumpgrinder to heal fast and feel better. I hope she is doing OK. It's time for you to run that race car across the state for a bone session.....and to pick up your hogfish gyotaku......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 06:38 am   Permalink

That looks great. Can't wait to put it to task.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 08:15 am   Permalink

First, Say a Big HELLO to Pappa Bear, Nice to see him in your garage again! HappyHappyHappy.
The work you are doing on the Bar is really SWEET. I love how you did the border and with a Hand chisel even! Also I love the frame you found for the poker players too!
KEep up thr good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 3:14 pm   Permalink

Nice bar! I'm with Aloha Station, Can't wait to put it to use. And, I see you already have the El Dorado out and waiting.......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation