FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Pappy's tiki lounge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Pappy's tiki lounge
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 6:19 pm   Permalink

I've been inspired by Finkdaddy's great work to post work on my bar. Hopefully, this will shame me into working on it nights and weekends.

Space is 11x22 and I'm starting with bare concrete and NO electricity. (Well, no outlets. I'm plugged right into the fusebox.)

This first pic is actually quite far into the project. Everything I know I learned from This Old House so the going is slow. The walls I built with screws because I can't drive a nail straight. Bottom studs are pressure treated.

The subfloor is a basement owner's dream from Superseal.
http://www.superseal.ca/dimpledmembrane.html
It comes on a UPS truck and you just roll it out and cut it with a utility knife. Seal the joints with duct tape--no fooling. I recommend it to everybody. It's exactly as nice as I hoped it would be.

On this wall, I added some furring strips to the only studs in the basement (besides me!) Floor is 3/4" cedar OSB that I put down with my friend Chris who was smart enought to own a jigsaw. He rules.

Here's Karol the electrician. He rules too; a fast worker from the old country. I decided to forego the studs on this wall not to save labor but to save space. Drilling into the concrete for the furring strips was incredibly hard. I kept hitting rocks in the foundation and had to make new holes. The furring strips on this wall alone (also pressure treated fir) took a week of weeknights and much cursing. I plan on two tiki head sconces on these walls.

Here you can see the sconce mounting on the long wall and the rest of the subfloor on the big, black roll behind the unfinished stud wall.

More pics soon. If anybody wants to help me name my new lounge/bar/baby refuge, I can offer you a swell, restored, antique electric clock for your trouble. Also, if anybody has good ideas for the ceiling, I'm needing them in a hurry. Aloha!

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2010-07-28 13:53 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 6:26 pm   Permalink

Hey Pappy,
You are welcome to come visit the Lava Lounge here in Maine for some inspiration. For the ceiling, what I did probably won't work for you, but other thoughts include matting, cool fabric, or painted ceiling tiles.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 6:48 pm   Permalink

Congrats on a solid start. Any drawings or sketches of what you envision available? I found it helps alot. It is also a fun thing to compare when your work is done. My finished products rarely come close to the initial concept. Keep the pictures coming.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 8:14 pm   Permalink

See how I'm busy? OK, these are from tonight but the drywalling was done Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm out of drywall not because I messed up my cuts (I did) but because I'm bad at math.

Thanks, SB. New England's small but Maine is kind of a fer piece from me. Got any pics?

Matt, no. No sketches. I always figured I'd kind of add the tiki later. It will feature a painting by my friend, Nate and a cool 5 ft. Lono commissioned from Benzart during da Hukilau and if I'm REALLY motivated, a teeny replica of the Kahiki fireplace. But for now, I want to have it done for the Superbowl (don't crucify me--yes I want a TV in there.)

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2010-07-28 13:16 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 10:22 am   Permalink

I'm really happy for you Pappy!

Exciting stuff!

Can't wait to see it progress.

Carl

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 7:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Carl. I can't wait either.

I found a pic of the basement I took during the home inspection way back in April or May.

A couple people wanted to see the subflooring stuff. Up close, they look like little muffin tins you'd have if you were on Atkins.

Here's the drywall all done. Tomorrow I call the plasterer. He needs to come cover up all my mistakes!

My sconces came today and I couldn't resist seeing how they might look...

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2010-07-28 13:17 ]

turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 10:46 am   Permalink

i love threads like this... Post alot of pictures!
Good luck!

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 1:35 pm   Permalink

Pappy, I've got a t.v. also. Just gonna figure a way to keep it hidden untill a special event like a boxing match or something. Then unveil it. It looks like you are making good progress.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-06 13:35, Matt Reese wrote:
Pappy, I've got a t.v. also. Just gonna figure a way to keep it hidden untill a special event like a boxing match or something. Then unveil it. It looks like you are making good progress.

Exactly! Glad you understand. If things work out, there will be a false window with a nighttime island scene but during the Superbowl, a TV will replace the that idyllic view.

I just spent $300 bucks on grass mats and lauhala--oh, it hurts!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 08:01 am   Permalink

A question for anyone and everyone: I've busted the bar budget all to hell. There's no way I can do everything I wanted for awhile. Should I go ahead and build a bar without a sink or just wait and build the one I want (and enjoy the bar-less tiki room)? Is it really that big a deal to bring dirty glasses back to the kitchen sink? Do I really need that sink. Obviously it's all a question of money but how much better is a bar with a working sink?

thanks loads for any input

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 09:04 am   Permalink

Screw the sink, mix the drinks!

I think you should always do everything you can, when you can on a project. It will feel finished enough. Nothing's ever really finished anyway, so do all you can.

Get a nice, lightweight bamboo topless box to gently carry mugs to and from the sink. (the following morning)

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 09:39 am   Permalink

Can you retro-fit the sink later? Full speed ahead, before you lose your spark of inspiration and determination.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 05:05 am   Permalink

You could always put in a cheap sink now and replace it with the sink of your dreams later; just make sure they both fit in the same cut-out.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 03:04 am   Permalink

Well, the bar I want is big and built-in. The bar I can afford right now is kind of a scrap lumber bench with raffia glued to it so it's not really a question of just building it w/o a sink.

Plasterer comes Tuesday to give me an estimate...

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 05:17 am   Permalink

Yeah, unless you've just won the lottery, there's always a disconnect between what you want and what you can afford. Are you financing this through a loan, or just doing it pay-as-you-go? I found that financing took off a lot of the pressure to compromise my vision of what my bar should look like, but other factors still forced me to cut a few corners.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation