FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Pappy's tiki lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Pappy's tiki lounge
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 05:09 am   Permalink

Very, very cool. You must be stoked! You know it'll be fun to fit it out with art and knick-knacks. Looks real good. Betcha' start on the bar before next year.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 08:32 am   Permalink

Sweet! Can't wait to eventually see it in person!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 09:41 am   Permalink

Nice job man! The total's a little scary. Was the bulk of the budget spent on bamboo?

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:49 am   Permalink

Red Sox fans drink free!

Yeah, that does seem like alot but Mrs. Pappy keeps the books and she lives for that kind of stuff. Biggest single expense was carpet, then plasterer, then bamboo, then probably the electrician, then grass mats and lauhala, then lumber. Gosh, I'm starting to upset myself! If I can help you with yours, just say the word.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 11:27 am   Permalink

got any leftover matting?

It looks great Pappy. I want to do something similar on my walls with matting, but it has been low priority. My carpet was cheap (under $200) because we scored carpet tiles at Mardens that I laid myself. And Mardens is butt cheap. They're a surplus joint.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 04:28, pappythesailor wrote:

Eventually a tiki pull for that door to the fusebox.

What about working in a little Kustom Kulture, like a Giant Flying Eyeball doorknob?

http://www.frightcatalog.com/Halloween-Props/Decorations/Diabolical+Doorknob+Eye-1006052/

Add some coathanger-and-stocking wings, et voila!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 1:43 pm   Permalink

Very nice, I bet the bar comes soon.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 4:34 pm   Permalink

It Really IS getting there. Can't wait to see the whole thing. Looks like you have poured a lot of money down thise stairs.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 6:33 pm   Permalink

wow. Just today i read this entire thread and reviewed all the pics. Very very well done. Now i'm just 18 and all, but i'm an artist, so i was wondering if i could point some things out and make a few suggestions. Anyways, the first thing that would probably look very Hawaii-esque is deffinately put some of those shields with the 2 spears behind em, that'd be pretty neat. The 2nd thought is a possible bamboo beaded curtain to go infront of those stairs (Sorry but those stairs sort of kill the aura). I seem to be ranting, sorry. A Third idea is deffinately some authentic palm plants around the room, probably in the corners. Anyways, thos are my tips that i thought of at the moment. You're doing a great job! And from one Bostonian to another, Pahk the Cah in Havahd Yahd.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 8:55 pm   Permalink

Pappy...
Hat Tip to you and the Misses ....Job well done !!!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 7:17 pm   Permalink

Freddie--I dunno if I wanna mix themes!

JohnnyP --You're right but I have lay low with the spending for awhile.

Ben--thank and you're right.

Pocky-- believe me, I got lots of ideas

TikiLaLe--thank you!

P.S. It occured to me that I obviously didn't lay the carpet myself either. First drink in the Bora Bora basement: Zombie. First album played: (What else?) Voodoo by Robert Drasnin. Also Mrs. Pappy says it turned out much better than she feared so happy, happy, happy!

Now let's focus on johnman and the Krakatoa Room! johnman?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 7:25 pm   Permalink

I hear ya pappy. I'll probably get things rolling early summer and you're most certainly welcome to help out.

Can't wait to get over to your place. Hopefully we can get something going after Kowloon.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 8:30 pm   Permalink

NICE!!!!!

Place is lookin really groovy pappy. Can't wait to see it in person!

As far as the expense, I hear ya there! Part of the reason why mine took 18 - 24 months to get where its at (and still no sink or permanent bar!)

Now just watch the bills add up as you buy crap to fill it with!! "Enchanted tiki room drummer replicas? need 2 of those...ANOTHER limited edition mug from tiki farm for $50?? need a few of those...Oh, and 3 more from munktiki? need those too.....a genuine Leeteg velvet painting on ebay for only $600...need that....heh heh.

If Jess had any clue how much was REALLY tied up in the bar...I'd prob be sleeping there on a regular basis!

Let me know when you'll be pouring for guests...i'll be there in a heartbeat!

PS LOVE the sconses.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 1:48 pm   Permalink

Great job Pappy!

I wanted to chime in on your earlier question about the necessity of a sink in a working bar. When Mr. cheeky half and I bought our house it had a bar already built in (part of the reason why we bought it.) The bar had a small fridge, but no sink. I would be much happier and the bar would get even more use if it had a sink. It's not just the glasses that have to get cleaned, but also the cocktail shakers and strainer, especially if people are drinking very different types of cocktails. I find that if we have over lets say 8 people and each person has 2-3 drinks that's 16-24 glasses that sit dirty on the bar unless someone takes them to the kitchen and a shaker that needs rinsing out probably 15 times. Anyway, every time I think we may be getting closer to getting a sink installed something else comes along that takes precedence and well......

So my 2 cents would be to install the bar when you can put the sink in as well. Of course right now probably the last thing you want to think about is more work or spending more money. So don't. Enjoy what you've created, it's a thing of beauty.

cheeky half

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 07:27 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2010-07-28 14:03 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation