Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-02 12:07 am   Permalink

1 ounce 151-proof rum
1 ounce heavy cream
1 ounce Grand Marnier
1 ounce sherry
1 ounce orgeat

Shake and strain.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RikiTikiTavi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-10 11:34 am   Permalink

Anyone else have tiki recipes well-suited to the colder temperatures? I admit my tiki mugs haven't been getting as much use in the last month or so.

View Profile of RikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to RikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 06:39 am   Permalink

When I'm looking for something to cut through the chill, a good ol' reliable Hot Buttered Rum always does the trick. If you've got a Trader Vic's skull mug, all the better.

Mix up the batter:
1 lb. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
(all spices ground. of course!)
Mix up and keep in fridge. Dissolve about 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp in mug of hot water. Add 1 to 1-1/2 ounces Myers's dark rum. Take a deep whiff of that bouquet - mmmm, if that don't smell like Christmas...

My second favorite:
1 big mug hot coffee
3/4 oz. Kahlua
1-1/2 oz. gold tequila
Dollop of cream or whole milk
I've encountered considerable initial skepticism about this one, when I offer it on a cold day at the marina - tequila in coffee?! But they always ask for a second.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-11 06:40 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-11 7:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-11 06:39, Limbo Lizard wrote:
When I'm looking for something to cut through the chill, a good ol' reliable Hot Buttered Rum always does the trick. If you've got a Trader Vic's skull mug, all the better.

Mix up the batter:
1 lb. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
(all spices ground. of course!)
Mix up and keep in fridge. Dissolve about 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp in mug of hot water. Add 1 to 1-1/2 ounces Myers's dark rum. Take a deep whiff of that bouquet - mmmm, if that don't smell like Christmas...

Sounds tasty. Usually I just use the Trader Vic's batter but it is fun making your own.

Quote:

My second favorite:
1 big mug hot coffee
3/4 oz. Kahlua
1-1/2 oz. gold tequila
Dollop of cream or whole milk
I've encountered considerable initial skepticism about this one, when I offer it on a cold day at the marina - tequila in coffee?! But they always ask for a second.

Available at most Mexican restaurants as a Mexican Coffee. I love these, although I must admit that I like an Irish Coffee more.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-11 7:14 pm   Permalink

WoooHooo! How about a Girl Scout Cookie:

*Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Snapps

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-11 19:14, WooHooWahine wrote:
WoooHooo! How about a Girl Scout Cookie:

*Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Snapps

That's what me and my best friend's wives like. Unusual, because my wife generally has an aversion to sweet cocktails or to alcohol in hot drinks. With women, chocolate changes all the rules, I guess. (OK, I'll admit I like this one, too... but in a manly way.)

Another cold weather drink I like: hot Dr. Pepper, with a lemon slice and a splash of bourbon or Southern Comfort. My wife hates this one - "too sweet, alcohol goes up your nose, why waste good bourbon", she says.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-12 07:56 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RikiTikiTavi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-12 10:03 am   Permalink

These do sound tasty. Since posting, I've been thinking about creating something akin to a hot spiced cider (with rum, natch), but possibly using some more exotic nectars to give it that tiki touch. I'll report back with my findings.

View Profile of RikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to RikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 09:14 am   Permalink

Another tasty treat is a mug of hot chocolate with a shot (or so) of Grand Marnier.
Mmmmmmmm...
Aloha,

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-01-14 09:14 ]

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation