FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 11:16 am   Permalink

Does anybody have a good drink recipe using Captain Morgan's Tattoo Rum? In case you haven't had it is a very sweet almost berry tasting spiced rum.

Thanks in advance!
JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 3:43 pm   Permalink

I can tell you what not to do with it, mix it with Coke®.

A bar near where I live was running a drink special on all tatto rum drinks. I normally like most spiced rum in Coke® (especially Trader Vics spiced rum). This stuff just does not taste good (mixed with cola).

Good luck finding something to mix it with.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2005-12-07 15:44 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 4:09 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine recommended Tattoo to me and I picked up a bottle. I have yet to crack it open, but it looks like it's dark (could just be the bottle). Is it considered a dark or medium rum?

I can't wait to see some recipes to use it with.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-07 15:43, captnkirk wrote:
I normally like most spiced rum in Coke® (especially Trader Vics spiced rum).
[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2005-12-07 15:44 ]

I know this is a bit off topic since I don't know anything about Tattoo rum, but I do own a bottle of Trader Vic's spiced rum. I have never tried sucking on a sweaty year-old gym sock, but if I did I think that's what it would taste like. That stuff is awful!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 5:29 pm   Permalink

Tattoo tastes very much like cough syrup. Thus, it's a natural for making a Flaming Moe, but probably not much else.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 5:44 pm   Permalink

Or is that a Flaming Homer

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 7:22 pm   Permalink

some rums should never be mixed......they are meant for sipping or drinking straight( mainly, the real expensive rums). I suggest you stick to the less fruity flavored rums for mixing...after all, the whole point of tropical drinks was to disguise the taste of rum to make it more palettable to the general public, without compromising the alcohol content........if a rum already has a sweet flavor to it it needs no more....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 10:29 am   Permalink

I checked the Captain Morgan website and this was all the info they had:

Make your mark with Tattoo, the bold, spiced black rum from Captain Morgan. Great straight. Or add a shot of Tattoo into your favorite energy drink.

Then, they're (only) recommended recipe is:

Ink Drop
1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled)
3 oz Energy Drink
Serve straight.

Hmmmm. Not very Tiki at all. Seems we aren't the target market on this one.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-10 03:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-09 10:29, MachTiki wrote:

Then, they're (only) recommended recipe is:

Ink Drop
1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled)
3 oz Energy Drink
Serve straight.

Hmmmm. Not very Tiki at all. Seems we aren't the target market on this one.

Energy Drink + Tattoo. Isn't that how Belushi died?

I know that you're trying to make something from this rum and I applaud you for that. It took me years to find a good recipe for my years old bottle of Campari. But that recipe on the Capt Morgan site should be enough for you to just dump the bottle and make yourself a decent tiki drink. I suggest the Noa Noa which in contrast to what Tipsy says can be made with your finest. I prefer Lemon Hart Rhum Demerara.

Hey I don't want to seem like a tiki drink(ing) rum snob here but the Ink Drop 1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled) 3 oz + Energy Drink? Come on!

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 10:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for the responses.
I did check the Captain Morgan website a couple months ago when I first bought and tried Tattoo. At that time they did not have any recipes listed. I guess it took a while to find something to mix with it. The Ink Drop does not sound all that good and I don't think I want to drink this straight, so it looks like I get to have a cool looking bottle on the shelf.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 1:43 pm   Permalink

Here's my hoitytoity opinion on said rums:

If you can find it on your neighborhood supermarket shelf, it is usually shite.
All except Myers and Mount Gay. But what else does one see there:

Bacardi, bacardi and BaCardi. Malibu and Malibu, and Captain Morgan. All FLAVORED rums are yuck, in my taste. That includes all these new designer rums, like Voodoo: It has a Tiki on it, but it ain't Tiki. A man's rum is a rum that is hard to find: Like Barbancourt, Lemonhart, or Dagger.

And by god, what was riding the Trader people when they chose the rums for their new labels. What a shame, what a shame. Here was a chance to undo the taste aberration crime that had been perpetrated by the Bacardi syndicate when it squelched all other brands, but no, they missed it. Palpable for profit. Sigh.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-11 10:35 am   Permalink

Jp Try it with cherry 7up or cherry coke. I like it in a 14oz. glass filled with ice to the top, 1.5 oz. of rum, add coke, enjoy. For a stronger drink, use 12oz. glass. Remember, different rums for different folks. Doc Tiki

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 09:27 am   Permalink

AFTER THE STORM
1/2 ounce Stolichnaya Orange Vodka
1/2 ounce Myers Rum
1-1/2 ounces Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
1-1/2 ounces pineapple juice

Mix ingredients together and serve in a tall hurricane glass. Garnish with orange slice and lime twist.

[ This Message was edited by: MachTiki 2005-12-15 16:14 ]

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 5:53 pm   Permalink

Actually the drink "after the storm" posted my MachTiki wasn't too bad. Not my favorite but ok. It did taste a little like rum and Dr. Pepper though.

Anybody else try it? What did you think?

Thanks MachTiki.
JP

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 5:45 pm   Permalink

HOITY TOITY?....... DEAD BANG!

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation