FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-13 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-13 17:11, mauimama wrote:
... I thought this drink was pretty good and thought I would share....

Welcome to TC, Mauimama. As to your drink recipe... You like it and that is all that matters. Most good drinks are only good because of the memories that drink has. I had some of the nastiest Mai-Tai things on a dinner cruise in Honolulu, but, I remember them fondly and try and make the nasty things every year around the anniversary. Ah, to be in Honolulu on your honeymoon......

So, if you haven't figured this out yet, the Mai Tai is like a Holy Grail of drinks to most people here. Your comparison to the Mai-Tai caused many people, including me, to shout 'Are You Nuts?' We, the drinkers of TC, are always looking for the "Great Mai Tai" and are going from bar to bar to bar to find it. And, this is one of those quests where the journey is the goal, not the destination....

and

Quote:

On 2006-06-12 19:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Is any flavored rum a "repulsive variant"?

Yes. Well, to me at least. If you like them go for it! I have found many recipes that call for flavored liquors and most of them are quite tasty, or at the very least fun to mix (Try Bacardi Melon, Orange Juice and Champagne). But, when mixing 'Classic' recipes, they are evil. Orange Rum is not the same as adding Rum to Orange Juice or adding Cointreau or Curacao to Rum.

And, to get back on topic: I don't like Tattoo. I find it to be overly astringent on the tongue and the only spice I can taste is pepper. It smells OK, but I really don't like the taste. And this is the point where those of you who do like should be saying "Good! More for me!"

That is my two cents worth. And, I will say it again... drink what you like and like what you drink. We should all be drinking to be happy!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marcusb24

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:53 am   Permalink

Tattoo Rum is horrible.

Sailor Jerry Rum is ruling the local world and heading for domination.

Real product, based on a real dude. High proof (92) with AMAZING TASTE.

This is going to be the real deal in no time at all.

ROCK STAR RUM!!!!

View Profile of marcusb24 Send a personal message to marcusb24  Email marcusb24     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-19 1:32 pm   Permalink

Also welcome to TC Mauimama . . . don't feel too bad. At my first foray into this forum I was sent directly to "Mai Tai Hell" where all those 'variants' dwell!

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SparkleDog

Posted: 2007-04-22 4:51 pm   Permalink

I have to say that I am a die hard Captain Morgan (Spiced Rum) lover, and I was not disappointed with Tattoo! I got bored in the kitchen this weekend and came up with this-- simple, but sweet!
In a one cup glass, mix one shot of Tattoo and then fill the rest of the way with apple juice and a good margarita mixer. I like it best on ice.

EDIT: Sorry for digging up such an old thread! I actually had Googled mixed drinks for Tattoo rum, and this page came back. I couldn't help but respond. ;3

[ This Message was edited by: SparkleDog 2007-04-22 16:53 ]

View Profile of SparkleDog Send a personal message to SparkleDog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-23 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:
mix one shot of Tattoo

STRIKE ONE!
Quote:
and then fill the rest of the way with apple juice

STRIKE TWO!
Quote:
and a good margarita mixer

STRIKE THREE! YOU'RE OUT! Back to the Tiki Bench.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 11:44 am   Permalink

people here are ELITISTS...though often with good reason

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 3:36 pm   Permalink

No, the people here simply fight for keeping Tiki culture true, and fight against the watering down of it.(..as I put it, the "Jimmy Buffetization" of it). That's what this forum is about.
One reason why people began staying away from Tiki temples was that the art of mixology became forgotten, Bacardi cornered the market, dark rum was "out"...and what where once delicious taste sensations (the original recipe cocktails) deteriorated into syrupy sweet cool aid. So the temples fell into ruins.

To try to bring back a lost quality of life is not elitist for me, it's merely an attempt to survive.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bincho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-23 3:43 pm   Permalink

I was never disappointed by making mixed drinks with super premium ingredients, instead of using middle of the road components- You know the old saying "garbage in garbage out."
Some might think it vulgar, or wasteful, but the truly decadent hedonist can overcome these objections and relish in the bliss of the "Patron Margarita" the "Potrero Rye Whiskey Sour" and the "Ron Zacapa Zombie".

After all you only live once.

View Profile of Bincho Send a personal message to Bincho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 3:56 pm   Permalink

I do get irritated with the Tiki snobs on the board. We should at least have a sub-board or a sticky that allows us to share recipes that takes advantage of products made for consumers.

I love true tiki, but I'm a college student. I don't have the money to go out and buy Pyrat, Grand Marnier, or 20 limes whenever I want.

There have to be others that agree with me.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 4:42 pm   Permalink

Aaaah, the two lasts posts represent both ends of the spectrum here, but there is a middle road. Mixing on a budget is still no excuse to use bad stuff like Captain Morgan. Jeff Berry himself does not recommend using your most expensive stuff for mixing, but saving it for sipping. And there are great tips here on TC on how to find inexpensive but quality rums ...via MAIL ORDER. All it takes is a little more time and effort, or- a true love for the ancient craft of mixilogy.
There are tons of other cocktail mixing boards for generic stuff...come to think of it, most of them are probably haunted by some "elitists", too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 03:24 am   Permalink

Yeah, what bigbrotiki said.

You can save a buck by buying Cruzan white, or spend an extra buck buying Ron Matusalem Platino - both of which are better than Bacardi. The Foursquare Spiced Rum I recently tried is about the same price as the regular Captain Morgan, and beats it by a mile.

And buying limes when you need them is certainly cheaper than the quart of sour mix (though you do have to scratch up more often).

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 05:54 am   Permalink

Well, I'm living in downtown DC right now, with no car. Liquor stores here are small, space is at a premium. Accordingly, the only spiced rum around, for example, is Captain Morgan. It will have to do, at least until I get out of here. I don't trust the University mail system to deliver me rum.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-24 06:58 am   Permalink

Believe me, I'm no "elitist"...my "one/two/three strikes" was meant to be a gentle chiding.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 07:21 am   Permalink

poked it with a STICK i did....
I am kinda BETWEEN these factions here--bad is BAD (Tommy Bahama certainly proved THAT this weekend!) but newbies here DO take a real THRASHING just because they express a certain amount of NAIVETY to what is pretty much a lost art of crafting ACTUAL COCKTAILS...you go out to a ny CIVILIAN BAR (non-TIKI) and its a CRAPSHOOT as to what you're gonna get when you ask FOR ANY of these ancient concoctions...there was a thread once on the tiki road trip site that rated Mai-Tais at every stop he made---and the standard for THAT drink certainly got lost in the shuffle over the years! Just that all the Falernum/orgeat/orange liqueur talk that seems to be MINUTELY picked over DOES strike a few of us BETWEENERs (and YES I HATE buffettization--keep it Denny or at least Combustible Edison!) as a bit OBSESSIVE. Some of the cheaper products thrown in a Coke are just FINE..its just you wouldn't wanna SIP them. ..but you don't always have the TIME or WILL to drink straight liquor of ANY kind--if you do more power to ya though

[ This Message was edited by: bb moondog 2007-04-24 07:23 ]

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-25 10:03 am   Permalink

I was on my way towards the authentic Tiki camp, and then literally fell head first into it after my first Zombie at the Tiki-Ti. But the only way to get Tiki back to anywhere near where it was 40 years ago is to embrace and extend the newbies. So I have a high tolerance for stuff like the what do I mix with Tattoo? (a quart of lime juice to cut the sweetness...)

But then I would try to go in the direction of: have you tried a rum that is spicy by nature, not because anything was added? Barbancourt 8 perhaps? Or smoke and spice...Demerara. Then there is this thing called a Demerara Dry Float... Get them interested in the history, the flavors, the methods, and the mood of real Tiki drinks.

To the guy in DC on a budget, those small (usually narrow and deep) liquor stores usually suck for Tiki ingredients. Try the Internet. There are some stores up in New York that ship, and you're relatively close (as far as UPS is concerned). Astor Wine and Spirits comes to mind...

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation