FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
SparkleDog

Posted: 2007-05-05 6:44 pm   Permalink

I think I stated in my post that I had GOOGLED THIS UP and I only posted because nobody seemed to have any good mixes for Tattoo. I'm sorry if you don't like it, I do. And yes, I apologize for trying to be friendly even though I really don't know much about mixology-- I'm not old enough to (legally) buy it for myself yet, so I work with what I've got. And no, I'm not some idiot fifteen year old who cleans out her parents' stash, so please don't start with that.
As I said before, sorry, guess this'll be my last post here since I'm not "tiki" enough. Thanks for introducing me to what your "culture" and little "community" here is all about, though-- a complete and total refusal to anyone who may be curious.

View Profile of SparkleDog Send a personal message to SparkleDog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-06 06:53 am   Permalink

Sheesh! . . . and . . . Yikes!
As I stated earlier, when I ventured out for the first time in this community . . . I was thoroughly trounced (must have been by the Elitists) and sent directly to 'Mai Tai Hell"! I not only survived . . . I've thrived . . . and I'm still here!
A sense of humor and a light attitude goes a long way.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-26 04:55 am   Permalink

Concerning Capt. Morgan. This summer I gave a party at home and someone showed up with a bottle of regular Capt. Morgan, "Well, I didn't find that St James stuff you suggested, so I brought that 'cause I'm a pirate" uh... Thanks! It was very nice of him, but I don't know what to do with that bottle. Anyone has an idea? I tried to mix a Mai Tai with it and man, it was painful. So, if anyone knows any way to take pleasure of Capt. Morgan, please let me know.

And about the newbie thing: well, I am a newbie myself although, though I have very few posts, I have been several months around here. Anyway, moreover I'm european, and not even british or whatever, I'm an spanish guy with lousy english and a lot of difficulties to find certain tiki supplies. So, usually my posts go like "I can't find Demerara 151, what should I do?" and that kind of pain-in-the-ass quiestions. And I have never been treated in a mean or rude way.

It's true that I have always been very shy and never explained how I mix a Mai Tai with Bacardi (once I did) or things like that, because when you enter a community you have to look around and try to understand what's happening.

And the veterans around here should understand that not everyone is born with a deep knowledge in rums and limes and stuff, I think that's the point in a discussion forum like this one, spreading the word.

Mahalo for reading all that, Um, and sorry for reviving this, just wanted to give my oppinion.

BS

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 06:33 am   Permalink

Personally, if you mix a Mai Tai with Captain Morgan or Bacardi and find it terrible, please let folks know! There's no such thing as a failed experiment, since you'll always learn things. And knowing what sucks can be just as important as knowing what's good or great.

And you'll be helping folks in similar situations - that is, folks who can't find tiki stuff. At least now they'll know not to try CapMorg in a Mai Tai just in case they get desperate. So maybe that person will try something different, and maybe post that it's bad but drinkable. Or good and very drinkable. Or that it didn't taste right. In any case, that's more knowledge.

As to your Captain Morgan, I'd try "fixing" it. Take a look at the "Bumbo" forum for some ideas on making your own spiced rum. A touch of nutmeg, some sugar, and a splash of a better rum can possibly salvage it. I recommend going slow. You've got little to lose. So add 2 teaspoons of sugar, a few ounces of juice, a little nutmeg and wait a few days and shake it and taste it every day. Once the nutmeg is strong enough, strain it, and add a little bit of some other spice. Vanilla Extract, almond extract, allspice... There's a list of good spices and things to try at the end of the Bumbo thread.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 08:07 am   Permalink

I had a housemate once who was a Captain Morgan fanatic. Personally, I can't stand the stuff. He was such a great customer, CM sent him a leather jacket with the logo on the back.

His ONLY drink was CM and Coke.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-28 08:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-26 06:33, Scottes wrote:
Personally, if you mix a Mai Tai with Captain Morgan or Bacardi and find it terrible, please let folks know! There's no such thing as a failed experiment, since you'll always learn things. And knowing what sucks can be just as important as knowing what's good or great.

And you'll be helping folks in similar situations - that is, folks who can't find tiki stuff. At least now they'll know not to try CapMorg in a Mai Tai just in case they get desperate. So maybe that person will try something different, and maybe post that it's bad but drinkable. Or good and very drinkable. Or that it didn't taste right. In any case, that's more knowledge.

As to your Captain Morgan, I'd try "fixing" it. Take a look at the "Bumbo" forum for some ideas on making your own spiced rum. A touch of nutmeg, some sugar, and a splash of a better rum can possibly salvage it. I recommend going slow. You've got little to lose. So add 2 teaspoons of sugar, a few ounces of juice, a little nutmeg and wait a few days and shake it and taste it every day. Once the nutmeg is strong enough, strain it, and add a little bit of some other spice. Vanilla Extract, almond extract, allspice... There's a list of good spices and things to try at the end of the Bumbo thread.

OK, Scottes, I'll take a jar and begin to pour rum and other stuff. That sounds like fun!

That's the kind of nice answer one usually get here. Thanks!

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-28 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

OK, Scottes, I'll take a jar and begin to pour rum and other stuff. That sounds like fun!

Keep notes! Then you - and we - will know what to do the next time.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-28 6:25 pm   Permalink

I have a bottle of Tattoo hiding in the bar that I never found many options for. It blends into pineapple juice reasonably well but almost disappears. Mixing 1 part Tattoo, 1 part Malibu and 4 parts pineapple results in a drink that can be served to someone who dislikes strong drinks and does not want to taste their rum.

Another amusing recipe I came across when Tattoo was released but never dared to try out out was "The Captain's Gobstopper" which was 1oz each Tattoo and orange vodka and 6oz of Coke.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-29 11:13 am   Permalink

My advice is to mix it with something that doesn't center on rum. I particularly like the Spiced Cap'n in some ginger ale, but never comprising more than 1/4 of it. That's what you have to do: mix it when there's not much of it to mix. It's not refined enough to be the center of attention.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zombie11b

Posted: 2008-04-14 12:23 pm   Permalink

Tattoo isn't one of the capt's better ideas. Seems most recipes involve energy drinks or ingredients going for a grape taste. With that in mind, I just mixed tattoo with some fierce grape gatorade I had in the fridge. Not a bad drink, for sure it's no worse than tattoo straight, and you can drink as much as you want and not wake up with a hangover headache! woohoo!

View Profile of zombie11b Send a personal message to zombie11b  Email zombie11b     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
morozkot

Posted: 2008-06-12 12:18 pm   Permalink

Try Tattoo and Pepsi.....pretty good. Much better than Tattoo and coke

View Profile of morozkot Send a personal message to morozkot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-21 5:09 pm   Permalink

I haven't found anything to mix Tattoo with that comes out well...I do like sipping it to some extent.The first time I tried it though ,I went through a pint in about 20 mins on an empty stomach with no effects other than my face getting flushed.What?.....It does have a real molasses-y,raw kind of taste......makes me think I would have found something like it in 1700s Port Royal.
I have never been a fan of Bacardi products...they all taste like they belong in plastic bottle in the generic section...
I saw a ton of the Sailor Jerry rum at my local package store...haven't tried it yet though.I should get the spiced type right?I know it's priced pretty well here.

[ This Message was edited by: savoy6 2008-08-23 05:18 ]

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ken1234

Posted: 2008-10-21 3:10 pm   Permalink

this stuff is bomb if you mix it with mountian dew im drinking it right now

View Profile of ken1234 Send a personal message to ken1234      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

Apparently mixing Tattoo & Dew causes impaired spelling, grammar and loss of apostrophe

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-22 07:48, Rum Balls wrote:
Quote:

Apparently mixing Tattoo & Dew causes impaired spelling, grammar and loss of apostrophe

Well then, it must be bomb if youre drinking it right now.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation