FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Balis' Hai'deaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Balis' Hai'deaway
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 04:58 am   Permalink

The glue i use the most is Gorilla Glue. It is really a great product. You wet the surface your going to glue and once applies it expands slightly. Almost like the foam "Stuff". The residual can be trimed with a knife or sanded. It's not cheap but well worth the price for most house projects.

I really like the effect of the rope light on the bamboo.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 05:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

As far as filling the crack, you are better off leaving it.

That was definitely my first choice, but since it went all the way around the circumference of the post, I was concerned that the entire base might fall off over time if I didn't do something to at least stabilize it and keep it from widening any further. Good idea about coating the crack with varnish, but what's done is done, so I guess I have to live with the filler. The wood glue I used seeped into the crack around the base, so I'm hoping that will prevent the base from detaching from the rest of the post, or at least slow the process down somewhat.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the post was covered with icky white mold when I took it out of the packing material. The crack was filled with it. I removed as much as I could with a bleach dilution, but I won't be surprised if it comes back.

I'm glad to hear so many people liking the overall look. When I started this project, I only drew up dimensional plans for the bar, the walls, and the general layout, so I really didn't know if it was all going to pull together into a coherent whole until I was almost finished. The art, lighting, and color scheme were critical elements that I gave a lot of thought to as well. Building in the basement of an older home is always an adventure, and plans change as you encounter unexpected things.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 05:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

I really like the effect of the rope light on the bamboo.

Yeah, the rope lights are great; plus they're very cheap and easy to install. Actually, that's a tropical reed matting I bought from Oceanic Arts specifically because it looks like bamboo. I already had so much light-colored bamboo on the walls, I figured I needed something darker on the bar for contrast.

I've used Gorilla Glue before with good results, but for some reason, it didn't occur to me to apply it here.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 10:31 am   Permalink

Fantastic new bar, I really like it! I, too, also like looking at pics of other people's bars as it gives me so many good ideas. The amount of creativity that exists on TC is unbelievable.

Oh, and I really dig the OA door frame posts. That looks SO great and really preps the visitor for the goodies that await inside.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Oh, and I really dig the OA door frame posts.

Thanks, they presented us with some unique challenges. First, we built special jigs so we could saw them in half, then we lag-bolted them to the doorframe studs. The carved lintel piece that I got from OA was so badly warped that we wound up having to screw it down onto a stud before we could install it. The framing around the door opening was done with a biscuit joiner, so it came out looking very professionally done.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 4:23 pm   Permalink

I have had success spray painting the inside of the cracks with flat black.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Impressive. I have no idea how to do what you just described. If I had to do that doorframe, it would be stuck up there with hot glue and duct tape.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 12:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I have no idea how to do what you just described.

Neither did I, that's why I hired a good handyman specifically to bail me out when I got stumped!...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 12:55 pm   Permalink

Hey MrBaliHai,

The Mr and I were very glad to make your acquaintance at the Tiki Ti. You were right about the Jimmy's Special! I was just reading your blog (thanks for the mention) and I am in awe of how many places you were able to visit, people met and drinks drunk during your trip to L.A. You get around man. Sorry you won't be able to make the Kon Tiki party in April.

Great bar too! Love the tropical reed matting and the decoupaged bar top.

cheeky half

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hey, it was a pleasure meeting the two of youse as well! If you ever wind up in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, give me a shout and I'll give you my special 10-cent tour of the Hai'deaway. One free drink per customer.

It just sounds like I did a lot last week. Actually, I probably spent a good 3/4 of my time driving around aimlessly on the vast L.A. freeway system, looking for swap meets and antique malls.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

My best bud from Spain has been visiting me this week, and brought his new 10.5 Megapixel SLR camera with him, so we've been spending a lot of time down in the Hai'deaway, suckin' 'em up, and taking low-light photos. Thought I'd share them with all of youse, so you can see how it's been evolving over the past 18 months or so.

Here's the view from the front entrance:

Here's how it looks from the rear:

My Bali Hi pinball and a mug shelf:

The coconut-lamp shrine of Mr. Bali Hai:

The Wall 'o Masks and fishing-float lamps:

Oceanic Arts mask and Bali Hi pinball:

Lighted Mr. Atomic sign and mug shelf:

Shell lamp, Mookulele, and tiki carvings:

Okole Maluna, and Happy 4th of July!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 6:56 pm   Permalink

It looks fabulous. No wonder you are always making those great drinks.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 7:00 pm   Permalink

Yeah if I had that bar in my house I would be drinking all the time!

Looks awesome! I love the lights under the bar area.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 7:05 pm   Permalink

I don't suppose you live anywhere near Boston, do ya?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimyniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-03 8:53 pm   Permalink

ooooh! Love it. Love the lighting!

View Profile of tikimyniki Send a personal message to tikimyniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation