FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 09:29 am   Permalink

My Aunt, Bungy Hedley, is just about to join TC.

She worked with Eli the most and has many story to tell!

Hope you all treat her with the most kindest respect.

The story she'll talk will fill in many holes for the first tiki wave that washed up on our shore many moons ago.

Aloha,

Bamboo Ben.

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-19 08:50 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 09:32 am   Permalink

Super cool! Can't wait...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-17 09:43 am   Permalink

Fantastic!

I look forward to hearing her tales and perspectives. At times it can be easy to think that the tiki community is made mainly of the people who register and post to Tiki Central, that we can forget that there is a whole elder, and probably wiser, generation who loved tiki as much in their time. Perhaps Ben's aunt will be the first of many who will come to share their tales with us who are eager to hear stories of tikis long ago.

Perhaps there are others who might be willing, if invited, to share their stories with us?

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 10:58 am   Permalink

Total users: 3977 Total posts: 195630
The newest Registered User is -bungy-.
-------------
Yee Haw!!

Welcome aboard Auntie Bungy!!!

( yes. that is her real name. like bungy chord. we have a slew of classic names in the family. i'm sure ya'll will find out soon.)

Just remember TC that she is my Aunt and she might praise me a bit but I'm sure it will fade in time.

Now I have to work on my Mom, (the Elf) and my other Aunt, Marilyn, who wrote the Beachcombing Hedleys book.

Major positive tiki vibrations!!!.

Tiki Tiki!

B-booBen

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 12:24 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Aunt Bungy!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 1:43 pm   Permalink

Ooooh! I'm gettin' chills here, one by one we're getting the "Beachcombing Headleys" involved in TC! Yay!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-17 12:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
Welcome to Tiki Central Aunt Bungy!

Bunga welcomed Bungy!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 2:30 pm   Permalink

Big Welcome Aunt Bungy! Come on in and sit a spell and tell us a story or 2. we want to know all about Ben too. We want all his childhood, embarassing stories and how he became such a great artist.
Welcome

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-17 5:34 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard Bungy! I was just down in your old stompin grounds the other day (royal palms/japs) and marveled at the fact that people used to LIVE down there. What a totally awesome spot. Thanks for joining and I'm looking forward to your posts!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-17 10:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Just remember TC that she is my Aunt and she might praise me a bit but I'm sure it will fade in time.

yeah, nobody else ever does that....

We want to hear about Ben's dorky childhood, hahahahaha!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 7:05 pm   Permalink

I got an email from her this eve and she kinda doesn't know where to start. If any of you Tiki Central, Suave' People out there can e mail her and give her the low down ( the easy way) I'm sure she'd be posting story left and right.

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 06:53 am   Permalink

Really looking forward to the tales she can tell. Thanx for the heads up.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 08:45 am   Permalink

Bungy was looking around TC and really didn't know where to start so I'll throw out a question to get things rolling.

Aloha Aunty Bungy. Do you remeber any cool stories about the Island Trade Store at Disneyland?

(The story from my Mom I get all the time is that is was real hot there and you all used to put your feet in buckets of ice water to cool you down behind the counter. Classic!)

Oh, and one more. Did you ever meet Don Beach??

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 09:10 am   Permalink

p.s.

Here is a list that Bungy gave me that contains some of the press that they received a while back. Maybe some of you TC library lurkers can dig these up on the ol' microfilm....

Eli Hedley, Hedley Family. American Magazine, 8/41

Life Mag. 1/21/46

This Week, 11/45

Wall Street Journal, 4/46

Christian Science Monitor, 10/47, 5/49, 4/53

Coronet Mag. 3/48

Saint Louis Globe Democrat, 1/49

Seventeen Mag. 4/49

Mechanics Ill. 7/50

Orange County Register ( like grandson like grandad ) 1960

Herald Express " Books and Art" 1/13/58

Pasadena Star News " Virginia Kay Column" many times during 1960's-1970's

Daily Breeze, 2/10/02

Tiki News, 04

Tiki Mag. 05

-------

on film....

Movie tone news, 1944

Return to treasure Island( Tab Hunter), 1950

Trader Hall ( Johnny Weismuller Movies) 1949-1950

-------

This should be a fun treasure hunt. I see Freddie Freelance
in the library on this.

Aloha and Mahalo!

Bamboo Ben

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-21 06:55 am   Permalink

Aloooooha!!! I laughed and laughed with all your NICE welcomes!! Yes! Bamboo Ben alias Benjie was quite a character.. and ALWAYS went his own way!! Which he is still doing!! he may say he is getting "mana" from Eli (his grand dad).. but he is clearly going his own way, too! I have seen pix of his jobs and WOW!! I am thrilled with his work! Am going to be able to actually see his Kona job in San Fran soon.

Re Donn Beachcomber:
My dad, Eli Hedley, Beachcomber ,Yes! that was his title for all the life I knew him! and Donn Beach (Beachcomber) were partners for about a year, in a tropical Shop at 595 La Cienaga Blvd during WW11 in Hollywood. They both wanted the name of "Beachcomber" so Hollywood was too small for them.. and Donn went to Hawaii! They remained old friends and finally saw each other in the 1970s, at the International Market Place on Waikiki, where Donn had an office in the Banyan Tree!!! We were invited to lunch, and had stir fry and tropical (non-alcoholic) drinks high above the crowds with the soft,balmy breezes cooling us!

Re: Disneyland: I learned to sail when I was 12 around the Los Angeles Harbor area (that was in 1946!)and started crewing on larger boats between CA , Hawaii, South Pacific, Mexico when I was 18. In 1955, I signed on the 134' sailing schooner, Te Vega, out of New port Beach on my way to nearly 3 months through-out the French Oceana. We had landed in Tahiti, and I received a letter, General Delivery, from my family.. telling me that they had started a brand new biz in a place called "Disneyland".. The descripttion was so weird that I just put the whole thing out of mind!! How could my family, especially my dad, who was so uncommercial.. get into a regular biz??? Well, we sailed on to Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora, and on up to Honolulu, where I got to sail my outrigger canoe that I had picked up in Bora Bora for $100. at Ala Wai Yacht Basin! I headed home and was whisked from LAX to Disneyland, thrown behind a counter, showed how to run the register, and started selling! You never had to actually sell during those first few years, you only had to put a Disneland decal on anyhting.. and they pushed it with $ into your face!! From sailing in the Pacific and riding on the main mast cross tree of Te Vega, at sunrise and sunset.... to 28,000 customers pushing and shoving was a great culture shock!!!

Re Tikis at Island Trade Store in Bazaar in Adventurland:
We had a huge date Palm at our home that had died.. so dear ol' dad cut it down, and we all hacked and cut all the palms leaves off, and he proceeded to make a 14' high tiki. He didn't have a chain saw at this time.. so I guess it was with axes, hatchets, and hand saws! He had this friend who had a big truck.. and hauled stuff, so he got him to come downm and we all pushed, shoved, lifted, and slid that Tiki onto the old truc k. The guy was a real character, and had a real live lion who went with him everywhere! So, off we started to Dusneyland, where we had to unload it after 10 PM, when DL was closed! So we pushed, shoved and rolled that Tiki into place and there it stood for the 5 years of our shops ..Disney began not renewing leases as they came up.. more profit to them!) I don't know if the tiki was sold to Disney or who.. but I was sure glad I didn't have to help move it again!

Hope I haven't bored you all with these memories!! It was fun for me to be able to think of them again! Thanks!! Bungy
(by the way, on my birth certificate it says, "Lady Weldon"!!! Bungy is nick name... thank goodness!) And I love Bunga's greeting!!

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation