FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 8:23 pm   Permalink

"Dwight had a lecture series for 30 years, at least, at Royce Hall UCLA, and Ebel Theater in Westwood. It wa scalled "Arm Chair Adventures". He booked sailors like Alan Villiers, Irivng Johnson, Thor Hyerdahl and many more. "

Aloha Auntie Bungy,

The one I remember going to when I was a wee lil' dude, was the one that they built a big boat out of reeds and sailed it somewhere. I remember some of it but just can't remember names.

I have a busy week and will try to post some more pics this weekend. I'll post some of Auntie Flo's, Awsome Mosaic art.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 8:32 pm   Permalink

BUNGY! BUNGY! BUNGY! oh and bamboo ben too

Boy oh boy Auntie B I think your makin' us all envious of your adventurous life.

But don't stop now!

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-30 9:26 pm   Permalink

Could have been the Ra expediton by Thor Heyerdahl

http://www.plu.edu/~ryandp/RAX.html

Live like a Beachcomber! www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 06:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-30 15:30, bungy wrote:
Freddie freelance (not freeloader??!! Red Skelton)

I prefer the Miles Davis "Freddie Freeloader" to the Red Skelton skit: Freddie was a New York Bartender who'd allow musicians & writers to "freeload" or sit at the bar without ordering drinks. But I'll take Red as a fine second.
Quote:

The Book is called "View From the Top of the Mast", and I will definitly advertise on Tiki Central! it will probably be 2-3 months more.
Am also reprinting Daddy's catalog from the Trade Winds Trading Company in 1942. It has lots of items that he made from beachcombings!

Got it, I'll start bugging booksellers in the spring.

On a side note, is there a possibility of a reprint for How Daddy Became a Beach Comber?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-31 3:40 pm   Permalink

Yes! That was Thor Hyerdahl's famous Kon Tiki voyage that Dwight had on his lecture series.. I recently found an old paper back of anohter one Thor wrote about his "honeymoon" in the marquesas!! What an awful time they had!!! Those islands were still pretty backward and had not been out of canabalism for long!
By the way, I met a Marquesan in Hawaii. He works at the Kona Village, and also life guards at the public pool in Kailua, on the Big island. He is a pretty famous Tiki carver. His Father, and Uncle and grandfather were, too. Hies name if Rario Temetiki(spelling?). he also sailed on the famous canoe that makes the trip to Tahiti, etc, and up to Honolulu and back again, navigating the old way, with water in a coconut refelcting the stars,etc! Amazing! Any of you who might end up in Kona, there is a Capt Kiko who has built a double sailing canoe an dtakes out 6 passengers. You sail out and then, race before the wind and ride the waves coming back in. He took me out for a special lesson in sailing it.. It was LOTS of fun. I had bought a 12' sailing canoe on Bora Bora in 1955, for $100. but I have forgotten how to sail it. That canoe hangs in one of daddy's decorating jobs in Reno, Tahoe, or Las Vegas!

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-31 3:49 pm   Permalink

to freddie free lance! Am also re-printing How Daddy Became A Beachcomber in Paper back.. so it also ought to be a few more months. Will also advertise this on Tiki Central!
I was just going along today and a memory hit me.. I was crewing on the 3 masted barquentine, California, and we were headed around the world, but couldn't get started becasue there was so much to do! We were tied up at 22nd street yacht Landing in San Pedro, and Humphrey Bogart's boat, Santana, was tied up just opposite us. One sunday afternoon, they pulled in after a weekend in Catalina, and as Mr B. started down the dock i said, "Oh! Please sir! Can I take your pix? Showing him the camera in hand. He grumbled and then finally said, Well, OK! I said, "smile" and shot him im the face with a stream of water from my trick camera. He was shocked, and then guffawed loudly, gave me a big hug, and chuckled off down the dock! Ah! Youth!

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-31 6:41 pm   Permalink

I love it when your memories "hit" you, bungy! they're great!

I also eagerly await your book and the reprint of "How daddy..."

Thank you! Keep 'em coming!!!!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2006-01-31 18:41 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-04 05:45 am   Permalink

Our home at the Cove: Our living room was upstairs and had a fireplace made from the stones on our beach.. These had to be picked carefully in order that they would have holes in them to keep the stones form "popping" with the heat.. It didn't work out very well, I can't remember how many times they would pop right out into the living room when guests were there! I wonder what they talked about on their ride home that night! The chimney was an old ship's funnel. I don't know how daddy put it on, but every once in a while, when we had guests sitting around the living room,the wind would shift, and start blowing right down that funnel. That would start blowing the smoke out into the room, and pretty soon, the guests eyes started watering and they started coughing! Mother never batted an eye. She actually never admitted to the smoke, but said, "Let's all go out to the beach and watch the full moon come up over the cliff. It is a wonderful sight!" So, all put on their coats and went on out to watch the moon, which really was a gorgeous sight to behold! meanwhile daddy, would say to one of us girls, "Quick!Go change the dang funnel!". So, off we'd go..out the back door, around the house which sat right up next to the cliff, scramble up the cliff, and over the ice plant, onto the roof, and crawled up the roof to the funnel. We'd put our arms around it, and tug and tug until it slid around far enough so the wind wouldn't come down into it, and then hurry back to help usher the guests back up to the livig room . When I was younger, I thought all chimneys worked like that! Hare Maru!! Auntie Bungy

mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-31 15:49, bungy wrote:
to freddie free lance! Am also re-printing How Daddy Became A Beachcomber in Paper back.. so it also ought to be a few more months. Will also advertise this on Tiki Central!
I was just going along today and a memory hit me.. I was crewing on the 3 masted barquentine, California, and we were headed around the world, but couldn't get started because there was so much to do! We were tied up at 22nd street yacht Landing in San Pedro, and Humphrey Bogart's boat, Santana, was tied up just opposite us. One sunday afternoon, they pulled in after a weekend in Catalina, and as Mr B. started down the dock i said, "Oh! Please sir! Can I take your pix? Showing him the camera in hand. He grumbled and then finally said, Well, OK! I said, "smile" and shot him in the face with a stream of water from my trick camera. He was shocked, and then guffawed loudly, gave me a big hug, and chuckled off down the dock! Ah! Youth!

Aunty Bungy - Every few days I check this thread to see if you've posted anything new, and this made my morning! All of your adventures are amazing, but squirting Humphrey Bogart with a squirt camera may be the icing on the cake! Keep the stories coming, we're waiting for the book!
mrs. pineapple

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-04 7:38 pm   Permalink

Aunt Bungy-

After reading about all your travels I would be interested to know… in all the far away places you have seen and experienced…which one inspires you the most and why? Is there a place you have always dreamed of discovering, but have not yet had the opportunity to encounter? I would also be curious to know how your journey lead you to Texas. I think one of the things that I am most grateful for in my life is that I have had the opportunity to travel to many distant lands and get an understanding of the cultures outside my own pre-conceived boundaries, which has had a profound effect on who I am today. You clearly have had the courage to embrace what for most of us can only be imagined. I ask these questions because I wonder if there is a place in your past that has moved you beyond your expectations. Thanks for being you and sharing with us….

Karbora

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-07 10:40 am   Permalink

to Karbora! Who asks a really hard question!! What is my favorite place!!! I'd say anywhere on a sail boat.. as long as it is in the tropics! I was thinking not too long ago, actually, about what I'd really like to do.. and that was to sail the Hawaiian Islands once more! Having just enough time at sea to absorb infinite horizons, approach an island, come into port, all the sights, sounds, smells of that experience, stay for a couple of days, then, take off again!Onward! I don't really like vacations or trips that say "You will have a free day to shop!"!!! I like to do stuff.. like snorkle, parasail, hike up to 1000 foot watrefalls (which is what I did last year! I wanted to roll down the mountain coming back!!) A few years ago, on a Carribesan cruise I took scuba lessons.. it was kind of scary.. but I'd go again! Machu Pichu beakons! I read all of Richard Haliburton Travel Books when I was 13 or 14.. and he is my hero when it comes to travel adventures. He swam the Pananma Canal and paid 16 cents tonnage! He hid in the garden of the Taj Mahal, and after all had left, he swam under a full moon in the pool! He did stuff like that all over the world. Of course, his era was around 1925!!!

Like you, I love meeting the "locals" and interacting. I took a Greek cruise ship around the Greek Isles year before last. Thye are soooo beautiful, and I loved the Greeks! So full of soul! I would like to stay on one of the islands a month.. to see if I would become one of them for a while! If any of you are looking for something unusual.. I'd recommend going on the interisland ferry.. much better than the cruise ship and you can stay as long as you want on each island!
I'd really like to go to Spain! (I speak a bit of Spanish)...And dance with the flamenco gypsies in the Caves! Ah! well! The world is out there.. ready to be explored!

The last couple of years, I have produced and directed a Czech Night of Muziky Muziky! It turns out that there are over 1 million Texans of Czech heritage.. and they have kept their heritage going thru song, dance , and music! So, that is fun!Last year, so many wanted to be in the Musical that we had to run 3 hours insted of the 2 we advertised!
This month I am teaching Hula to 80 grade school kids!! It will definitely be a very fundamental hula!! I don't think we can enter the Merry Monarch contests!
In April I am on my way to Kona, Hi to dog sit for a neice and nephew, Sid & Claudia Kono for anyone who lives there! (the dog sitting is a dirty job, but someone has to do it!!) And will half day sail on a catamaran and a sail boat! So that is near to sailing all the islands!!
I'm pretty sure that each of you Tiki Central afficionados have that sense of adventure inside you too! Just make sure you keep it alive, even by doing little unusual stuff! And if you think it is easier to sit in front of TV .. don't do it.. Get up and get out! The world is wide and fun!!!! Auntie Bungy

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 1:39 pm   Permalink

wow

just, wow.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-14 10:40 am   Permalink

I just had to post my 2 cents worth. In fact - this thread is the reason I joined Tiki Central. What a fantastic life. I love your nostalgic writing style. It really makes me feel good to read your posts. There's something very special about the way you describe your adventures, and I feel like I've gotten a glimpse of better times. Now that's a life worth living! Thank you very much Bungy!

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-04 4:48 pm   Permalink

Iaorana! It's been a long time!! I have been trying to finish my autobio.. So many adventures, and my memory keeps getting jogged.!!!
By the time I was a senior in San Pedro High School, which sits right on this wonderful hill that overlooks the Los Angeles Harbor! all I could think about was going to sea. On the first day of school we had to choose our curriculum, and were given sheets and sheets of different kinds of classes we could choose from, and what kind we needed for credits. I spent an extra long time, trying to figure out which ones I could take so that they all had a view of the Harbor, and I could gaze out and watch the big ships coming and going.

Each day, After school, I dashed home, threw my little eight foot sailing dingy into the back of our new Woody! and set sail from Cabrillo Beach. The 4 O'clock breeze had always just come up, and it was pretty chancy. One time, I asked one of my gal friends if she wanted to go. She said," well, maybe, but I don' t know how to swim. Is it safe?" "Certainly," I repleid, and off we went. It was winter and we both had on heavy jackets and I had her in a life jacket besides. Suddenly a gust of wind knocked us right over and into the water.She started screaming! I told her to just hang on to the boat and she'd be alright. Just by chance, a 65' Coast Guard Cutter was heading out to sea, right past us! They screeched to a halt, and threw a line in to the water to haul us aboard. They got her up, and took her into the cabin for hot coffee. But when they told me to come up, I said I had to save my boat. I had bought that boat for $100. that I had earned weaving palm hats at a luau! They tossed me a line and said, tie this to your boat, and we'll tow her in. But the mast was now stuck in the mud at the bottom of the bay. I dived down several times and was finally able to unhook the stays, pull up the mast, turn the boat right side up, and lay the mast inside the boat! I was ready to get out of that 60 degree water! I swam to the side of that huge ship and it took 4 guys to pull me up. My clothes were sodden and they acted like a suction. As i came up, I also brought up gallons and gallons of sea water! It poured all over their beautiful white uniforms. All over their highly polished brass, and made a mess of their sparkling clean deck! They were so disgusted that they said, sit here on deck, and we will bring you a cup of coffee! I really didn't care because... I had saved my boat! See ya soon! Aunty Bungy

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 12:26 pm   Permalink

<<I really didn't care because... I had saved my boat>>

This is who I want to be when I grow up.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation