FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:
... he also sailed on the famous canoe that makes the trip to Tahiti, etc, and up to Honolulu and back again, navigating the old way, with water in a coconut refelcting the stars,...

that would probably be the Hokule'a.
btw; this year marks the 30th anniversary of the first sailing of the Hokule'a from Hawai'i to Tahiti...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-12 06:16 am   Permalink

You are absolutely right! It is the Hoku lea (spelling??) I can't believe that it ahs been that long that they have been doing this!
What a trip that would be. And they have proven so much about the Hawaiian culture with these trips. The most interesting being that they had traveled to New Zealand, even, in all their travels. So it was not a hit and miss situation. They KNEW what they were doing! And however did they know?????
When you think about something like that, you wonder what can we do that is new! A guy I met on the Grand Canyon rafting trip (14 days worth) was a Triathalon competitor. He had a job, but he worked at it part time, and he did triathalons the rest of the time. He told me that he and 3 others were going to try to get together a tri. in Antartica! Now! That is something new!!
Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-12 06:16, bungy wrote:
You are absolutely right! It is the Hoku lea (spelling??) I can't believe that it ahs been that long that they have been doing this!

yes, Hokule'a... (no space), glottal stop before the last letter, making the pronunciation; hokuleh ah.
Your interest in the Hokule'a is gratifying to see. It's very satisfying to see the story reach around the world as it has...
Hokule'a means "star of gladness" in Hawaiian. It refers to the star Arcturus, a guiding zenith star for Hawaiian navigators.
It falls directly overhead at Hawai'i's latitude.

I see the magnificent Hokule'a a few times a week. It is well respected as a symbol of the resurgence in interest and pride in the Hawaiian culture here among kama'aina.

Another replica on the North Shore was being built a couple years ago, and I met the chief carver and we talked story for quite some time while we were on and in... the outrigger. It was awe inspiring. incredible craftsmanship. Beautiful work and the backstory on it as well as the kane's history in carving was amazing. I felt very priviledged. Never will forget it.

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-03-12 07:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-03-12 07:48 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-13 2:58 pm   Permalink

I just saw your "Lanakai"! In 1953, I crewed on 106' Dwyn Wynn fromCa to Hawaii. We landed in Honolulu, Pier 6, and whiel there, I took my letter of intro given to me by Deight Long, to an old gal who lived in Lanakai. She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai! It was either the sunset or sunrise bed you slept in. I chose sunrise.. always liked to get up early!. Her garnd daughter was there too. It was quite an expereience. I go to Hawawai once ayear to odg sit fro niece and nephew on Big Usland, then, come to Kailua on Oahu to visit son and his family! I lived a year in th old red barn in Waimanalo. It was heaven! Am on my way back to Hawai'i nei april 19th, with 3 weeks in Kona and a week in Kailua ,Oahu! My bag is packed! I took sailing lessons from Capt. Kiko last year, on his double hulled sailing canoe. I bought my own 12 footer in Bora Bora in 1955. That is now hanging inthe "Top of the Wheel" in Lake Tahoe, I think!
I feel like Hawai'i is MINE!!! My first child was born in Lahaina in the Territory, 2nd was 1st child born in Kaiser Hospital, when we lived on Block Islander called UAU, at Ala Wai Yacht Basin!
Much ALLLLLOOOOOOOHA!! Auntie Bungy
maT

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-13 14:58, bungy wrote: She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai!

I remember that place well. Was the early morning paperboy in the mid 60's there in Lanikai and I delivered to that house. Still pop over that side about once a week.

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-13 15:06, lanikai wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-03-13 14:58, bungy wrote: She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai!

I remember that place well. Was the early morning paperboy in the mid 60's there in Lanikai and I delivered to that house. Still pop over that side about once a week.

Me too. I always wanted to go inside that house. I lived at the other end of Mid-Pac golf course when I was a kid and used to swim all the time at Kailua and Lanikai beaches. We also used to hike on top of the mountain above Lanikai to play in the old WWII pill boxes. Wild guava and mango grew up there, so we used to eat those when they were ripe. Good times.
Mahalo for all the great stories.
KailuaGeoff

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 12:59 pm   Permalink

we lived makai of midpac golf course. usta fish out golfballs from da lagoon and resellum to da braddahs.

We would hike da ridge alla time, too, check out da pillboxes. was good fun spok da bullet holes all ovah da kine. remember the rusty gun turrets insai?
Got alotta pics of Lanikai back in those days, shot from that vantage point. All da old small kine shacks on mokulua torn down, no mo nuttin but multimillion dollar mansions along da beach, with their dag blasted sea walls eroding da rest o da coastline!

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-03-14 13:01 ]

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-16 10:29 am   Permalink

I can just feel that beach at Lanakai!! It is so beautiful.. and the tropical breezes wafting over the land, bringing sweet scents of plumeria and ginger! This last time, when I was in Kona, I was driving in pretty heavy going to work traffic (tyring to get to snorkling befor the tourists arrived!). We were crawling along, and There was a medium sized panal truck in front of me. The top of the truck swiped the branches of an overhanging plumeria tree and the blossoms fell onto the windshieled of my car!! I'll never forget that!!Auntie bungy

lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-16 10:29, bungy wrote:...The top of the truck swiped the branches of an overhanging plumeria tree and the blossoms fell onto the windshieled of my car!! I'll never forget that!!Auntie bungy

you see how you are?

getting a lei once in a while ain't good enuff for ya!

the gods drop flowers in yer path as you go along.
I guess you may be keiki o ka aina...

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-03-16 10:42 ]

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-16 8:16 pm   Permalink

You made me smile re: answer about the plumerias on wind shield!!! Really sweet!!!AB

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 12:28 am   Permalink

Bungy,

Thanks so much for your stories. It's the best thing I've read on Tiki Central... or anywhere, for a long while. After a stint in the Navy , I've been landlocked for 8+ years and do miss Hawaii, traveling and seeing land come over a dawn horizon. Your stories help sate my wanderlust. Skiing on barrel slats reminds me of my grandfather's stories of doing the same, he was a storyteller but his story has passed with him to a new world. Skiing on sand is something I do at the Bruneau sand dunes on my old rock damaged skis. It's great fun and greatly funny. I've gone on some great weeks long adventures whitewater rafting the Salmon or "River of No Return" and you are right, along with backpacking and sailing it's a fine adventure, especially when you awake to find bear prints all over your beach...
Bungy, your life is truly amazing, your stories are funny and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Mahalo
Sneakytiki

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-18 00:34 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-21 1:35 pm   Permalink

I was thinking about my high school! I went to San Pedro Hi, and Richard Henry Dana Jr, High, in San Pedro, Ca. The Jr. Hi was named that for the author of "Two Years Before the Mast" He had been shanghied and sailed before the mast for 2 years before he could escape. At that time mariners had no rights, and he pointed out the horrible conditions they sailed under. From this book, the mariners began unions, etc, and today it is a very respected carreer. Each year, the school ran the old Charles Laughton film for us , so that we would realize the marine history of our town.
San Pedro was built on this. Many dads were fishermen, or long shoresmen, or crews on a frieghters, or , for me the highest, a tug boat captain! Sitting right on the huge Los Angeles Harbor, evrything about San Pedro revolved around the ocean.
San Pedro Hi was on the side of a hill overlooking the whole harbor, and by the time I got to High school all I wanted to do was sail the South Seas, so when they gave us those long lists of classes with what credits we needed, I took an extra ammount of time figuring out what classes I could take to receive those credits... that sat on the second floor in front, with a view of the whole harbor with all the ships coming and going. And.. I took International morse code, instead of typing, so I could cut my braids and run away to sea and be a radioman on a freighter! There were no women allowed at that time.
Both schools were WPA projects,and I took a tour not too long ago, and they are just as beautiful as they always were. The Jr. Hi has a compass rose in tile on the entry floor!

Each week, I waited for that last bell to ring, and I could escape to a 32' Block Islander owned by Dwight Long, my sailing mentor, and we'd sail to Catalina or the Channel Islands! In other words, I escaped to my real world! Auntie Bungy

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 12:32 pm   Permalink

Aunty Bungy, could you please read This Thread and help with the history of your time at Disneyland? Thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-04-14 07:30 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 1:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Freddie!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 4:38 pm   Permalink

You'd better be working on the book.

I felt something was missing in my life and I actually took 10 minutes to ponder it today and this thread popped into mind.

Bungy, hope all is well and your travels have been relaxing and rejuvenating.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation