FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 5:19 pm   Permalink

I think word has it that Aunt Bungy's book is finished. Just a rumor and I don't have any details, but it came from a decent source. I hope it's true.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 5:41 pm   Permalink

Don't believe anyone named "Ben."
That's all I'm sayin'.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-02 7:54 pm   Permalink

Had a great time in Hwaii, and now I'm back in harness.. whatever that means.. when you don't have to work anymore!! I can't stand saying "retired!"'The best action I had was on Magic Sands Beach in Kailua, Kona.. the first day, the waves were probably about 4-5 feet tall, and that was pretty good. I'd never used a boogie board before so, when I saw a really fancy one with the rubber cord at a yard sale for a dollar I picked it up.. and was already to go boogie surfing. I stood on the shore for a while, until I saw a couple of little 12 year old girls go in, and said, "Why! If they can do it, so can I"! I'm into my seventh decade, so it is a little scary! But, I dove in and paddled until here came the next big 6 foot wave. It was just curling at the top, and I thought I would cut through it and go further out. I held the boogie board in front of me and took oof thru the wave. It curled and the force threw the boogie board right back in my face. Whack! I turned around, deposited the board on the sand, and had a great time riding the waves solo!
The next day, there were "Danger" signs all over the place, abnd the guards were right at the oceans edge. So, I stood for a while, finally said, "I'm going for it!" and dove in. It was gloruois! Waves crashing all around,thundering over me. The sun shining, the water clear as a bell, the soft breezes blowing! WOW!
I wrote in a lot about Disneyland's hsitory after I got home.. has anyone seen it! I still can't get around this computer too well!
Update on Book! It is at publishers, and will probably be 3 more weeks.. It was so much fun actually accomplishoing it.. you are all so interesting, you ought to try it too!! I will put an ad on Tiki Central and in Tiki Mag.
Are we having a "Pot luck Luau" at Royal Palms State Park in San Pedro on Aug 20th?? It's my old home where I was raised! I read somewhere that Catalina Island has a big Tiki somehting going on that weekend, maybe those who go can stopp off and LUAU on there way home. Royal Palms is only 10 min. from Catalina Terminal. Ask Bamboo Ben, that scally wag!
Right before I went to Hawaii, I taught over 100 kids to dance the hula.. they were given a Luau for passing a really hard test! It took 4 hours !! It was FUN! Tomorrow I go to the local airport, where I help out qwith a big BBQ Fly-in.. little planes from all over the area fly in, eat, greet, and meet, and then, they take off again. We are raisung scholarship funds for future pilots! I keep telling those guys I want to learn to fly.. but they just change the subject! One has a paraplane.. which is a plane with a parchute! Now, that would be fun.. but a bit trickey.

I am sorry I can't answer all back.. I can't figure out how!!!
Hawaiya, Hawaiya, Hawaiya, like Arthur Godfrey used to say when he started his radio program in the '40s?.He played the ukulele!
Aunty Bungy

PS: I have started reading Richard henry Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast" again.. and it is a wonderful history of San pedro abd the Calif. coast with all the sailign ships in the 1830's..

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-03 10:40 pm   Permalink

Great to hear that the book is at the publishers.
Can't wait to read it.

Glad you had fun in Hawai'i as well.
I guess you've always laughed when people told you to be careful, ehhh?
Wish we could all be a little more like that.

Since you like to travel so much, maybe you can talk Bamben Boo into bringing you to the Hukilau.
It would be nice to meet you and hear some spoken stories.

Take care... oh never mind that - just have fun.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-03 22:40, pablus wrote:
Since you like to travel so much, maybe you can talk Bamben Boo into bringing you to the Hukilau.
It would be nice to meet you and hear some spoken stories.

Agreed!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-04 5:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha Aunt Bungy....

At this years Hukilau there will be an emphasis on the Aloha spirit that captured America in the 50’s & 60’s. As you are without question a pioneer in this realm, I can not think of a more perfect scenario then to attend what promises to be the best Hukilau yet, and have you be there!! What a thrill and honor it would be to be able to meet you in person!! Tiki Kiliki productions has put together a mind blowing schedule of events. If you have never seen, or always wanted to see the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale, now is the time to go. Check out the website.........www.thehukilau.com.

I am glad to hear you had a great time in Hawaii......I had a feeling there might be a story or two

Karbora

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-02 19:54, bungy wrote:
Are we having a "Pot luck Luau" at Royal Palms State Park in San Pedro on Aug 20th?? It's my old home where I was raised! I read somewhere that Catalina Island has a big Tiki somehting going on that weekend, maybe those who go can stopp off and LUAU on there way home. Royal Palms is only 10 min. from Catalina Terminal. Ask Bamboo Ben, that scally wag!

Bamboo "Scally Wag" Ben mentioned the Luau several months ago, I've been waiting until it was a little closer to the date to bring it up again, but I'm keeping that weekend open. I've read "How Daddy Became a Beach Comber" twice and I'd love to meet your family.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 8:47 pm   Permalink

"A laid back luau".

Just show up and what ever happens, happens. That's all I meant. No plans, no worries, the Hedley way.

Unfortunately, I'm "on call this summer" and might have to be away to further All of Your Tiki needs.

ie; Jimmy Cliff, Sitting in Limbo ...I can't commit to any event, party, etc.

Work before pleasure. No rest for the wicked!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 10:21 pm   Permalink

Aunt Bungy, your stories are amazing and your writing draw you in to a wonderful time. They are thrilling and I can't wait for the book.

Ben, thank you too for sharing your aunt and your family, it's all so amazing!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-05 11:25 am   Permalink

So Glad to Have you back home Aunt Bungy. Can't wait for your book to come out.The Hukilau trip is a great Idea, you Should do it, And bring a few cases of your books, thay would go like hotcakes!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 1:27 pm   Permalink

I love Hukilaus.. in fact that is the dance I taught to over 100 school kids recently! BUT.. I don't know what you all are talking about! I can't seem to find what everyone else is talikng about!! Is that the Catalina trip?? HELP!!
It is very hard trying to keep up with all you hip tiki aficionadas!!!
Will be in Calif. from 20th to 2 more weeks.. and hope to take a trip up to Kona Club ibn San Fran!! What fun!

Alooooha! Auntie

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-06 1:34 pm   Permalink

I have just found all the new emails.. and I would just like to say.. "You all are soooo happy"!! I am looking forward to meeting you!! You are my kind of people!!!
LOVE!!! Auntie B
Tell me about Hukilau!

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-06 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 13:27, bungy wrote:

It is very hard trying to keep up with all you hip tiki aficionadas!!!
Will be in Calif. from 20th to 2 more weeks.. and hope to take a trip up to Kona Club ibn San Fran!! What fun!

Please post in TIKI EVENTS when you are going to hit the Kona Club! PS; a guy named Bamboo Ben also built a new bar in ALameda about 10 minutes away from the Kona. It is called the Forbidden Island!
hope to meet you when you are up here! ZAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-10 08:13 am   Permalink

Good Morning!
A few months ago, I ran across a site called
http://www.bookmillionaire.com, and they were wanting contestants for a reality show! So, my daughter helped me put togetehr a video and we submitted it! Every week they chose a handful of contestants and have ended up with 50, of whom I think I am one of! I'm not sure becasue it is kind of confusing and I never get notified..just that I was # 5 on week 6.. so if you go to this site and punch in my name or # 6 ,I think you will see the video.. and THEN, there is a place for you to vote for me!!!
So, like the song, I think it is a Beatles song,, I am saying, "Help!! I need someone to vote! Not just anyone, but y'all!!!"

And a BIG Mahalo! in advance! Auntie Bungy

If you win, They give you all this help for publishing etc for your book!!

Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-11 10:29 pm   Permalink

Great video Aunt Bungy.......you always have my vote!! I used to live in Central Texas near a town called Buffalo Gap. We used to ride horses everywhere including the grocery store. There were more hitching posts in town then parking spaces. It was great fun and nothing beats a good gallop across the open prairies! Such a sense of freedom with just you and a horse and wide open spaces

The Hukilau that has been mentioned is being held in October in Fort Lauderdale. This is a different event than the Catalina Tiki Fest that will be taking place in August. I know how you feel….it is hard to keep up with all the awesome events. This is the fifth year in a row that the Hukilau is being held. It is a four day event with non-stop activities planned. Some of them include:

•Special musical performance by Billy Mure & APE, together on one stage
•Italy’s I Belli di Waikiki
•Special presentations by Tiki luminaries such as The Book of Tiki author Sven Kirsten and Grog Log author Jeff “Beachbum” Berry
•A Tiki Bazaar full of fantastic vendors
•A special exhibit showcasing never-before-seen photos and memorabilia from the Mai-Kai’s archives
•Of course, a magical evening spent at the Mai-Kai itself

This celebration is a true Hukilau that emphasizes the spirit of family and community and of course the ohana! It is an International event that brings together the lovers of Polynesian Pop and Tiki culture , which I have heard you may know a little something about
If you want to check out all the details of the Hukilau celebration, Tiki Kiliki productions has put together a lot of information on a fabulous website that was designed by Humuhumu (www.thehukilau.com). After you read about what has been planned it will be hard to resist. I know that I speak for many when I say I hope you will be able to incorporate a road trip to Florida in to your otherwise very full and exciting life. It would be grand to have you there to celebrate some major milestones for both the Mai Kai (50th anniversary) and the TC ohana.

Mahalo-

Karbora

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation