FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-12 06:02 am   Permalink

In answer to Karbora! I cannot believe that I am actually talking to someone who used to live in Buffalo Gap!!! That is where my great grandfather/mother had a boarding house and the town clerk boarded with them, and then fell in love with there daughter to become my grand parents!!! That must have been around 1880s!!! What FUN!!
I now live in a woods on my kids ranch east of Austin in Fayette County which is the most cattle raising county in Texas. Every once in a while, they will call over from ranch headquarters and ask me and my red 4 wheeeler over to help them move cattle from one pasture to the ohter.. they on horse back.. me on my red Baron.. It is a lot of fun.. but kind of scary, when a mama cow has been separated from her baby and comes at you with ggreat big horns.. you know!
Thanks for all the info.. I will try my best for Ft Lauderdale Tiki fun!
Aunite B.

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-13 8:38 pm   Permalink

Aloha Aunt Bungy-

That is so wild! Buffalo Gap really is a cool little place. I remember riding into town and seeing the welcome sign proudly announcing a population of 387 town folk. Are any of your relatives still there? Did your father ever live in Texas? We used to hang out at this cantina called Judy's Gathering Place. It was practically the only place in town to quench that prairie thrist and we always loved entering her place through the grand swinging saloon doors. There was one main ingredient in everything that Judy rustled up and it was cactus!! In every form you can imagine....always with a side of Indian fry bread that was definitely all that. We used to board horses at Betty's Horse Patch. She was a real character and truly who I believe to be the original horse whisperer. There was no doubt in my mind that she was one of them. Every year we would attend the big event in town which was the Rattlesnake Roundup in the spring. The competition was on to see who could come back with the most snakes for the day, that were found in and around town. They put a big above ground pool in the middle of town and we would come back with writhing snakes in our burlap sacks and get them counted as they got dumped in to the pool. It was astounding how many snakes were wrangled by sunset on Sunday. We would eat rattlesnake "steaks" for days to come. I had some nice snake skin boots and a belt at one time, but tossed them after much wear and tear. Thanks for taking me back to those memories......they were good times

I am thrilled to hear you are looking in to attending the Hukilau. Let me know if I can do anything to assist you in making the trek.

Mahalo-

Karbora

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-15 06:16 am   Permalink

Kabora! What a good story!! Of your Buffalo Gap Days! I read soemwhere, that "my Buffalo Gap" had just about died. it was a railroad town, and when that stopped they did too, then, some one finally bought most of the town, and created a great, fun tourist destination! Now! I really want to go!
My dad was born in Vernon, and never went to Buffalo G, but there is a town named for my grand dad, Hedley, in the Panhandle. He surveyed it, and they couldn't pay him, so they named the town after him! Pretty fun.. it's about the size of B>G> but without the tourism fun!
Auntie B.

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-15 10:09 am   Permalink

Aunt Bungy - I am also one of those that appreciate this thread everyday I read it, thank you for sharing. I live in Long beach and its so cool to look back in time through your memories!

This may be old news to most here, but I just came across this webpage last evening. It's a history page about Tiki Boyd's lounge in denver - the page features old newspaper clippings with a picture of Aunt Bungy's dad - Eli, the designer of the original tiki lounge!
Here's the link for those who haven't seen it!
http://tikiboyds.com/about.html

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-15 7:57 pm   Permalink

to jpmartdog! (what does that mean????)
What a wonderful surprise you gave me with my dad's article and pix .. it was fantastic! he was all over the US! Amazing!

I dearly hope the tiki clan get a new place soon.. too bad for the trouble in paradise! Go Forward!
"Thanks for the memories".. Auntie B.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-16 04:52 am   Permalink

"Unfortunately, after enjoying many months of prosperity, success and renown, irreconcilable differences arose between the E.C.B.'s management and the main movers and shakers behind Tiki Boyds"

Were making too much money. And if I have to go through ONE more day of success and Prsperity I'm going to kill myself. Were outa here?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-16 1:35 pm   Permalink

to tikiskip:
It happens to us all.. and what a shame!! But, you see, you are filled with so much adventure and creativity, that when somehting like this happens and you move on, you are allowing more of the universe to enjoy you!!!
Onward! Auntie B.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-16 3:27 pm   Permalink

You are right Bungy. I wish I was as optimistic as you. I guess having a restaurant for ten years took it out of me. So many people try to burn you.(some of them family) That now I'm jaded. Your posts always make me smile. Thank you. I apologize I ment no harm.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-18 06:13 am   Permalink

to tikiskip!
People who are geniuses in some way or other, and that includes artists of all kinds (like you!), have a tough time in this world! I am just really glad that I am not! So stuff just slides off my back! But geniuses always need encouagement.. so I am giving mine wholeheartedly to you!!! And am looking forward to being at your next grand opening of whatever!!!
My older sister, Flo, was a genius.. and it was hard becasue you all live in another world! But be glad that you have special talents,, and they are appreciated!
Lovingly tendered! Auntie B.
PS: I can't even imagine what you were apologizing for! I didn't know you'd said anything!! maybe I'm really dumb!!!

Hare maru (Take it easy in Tahitian!) I await the time I can meet you mano a mano!! (and that will be at your grand opening!)

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-19 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-18 06:13, bungy wrote:
Hare maru (Take it easy in Tahitian!)

Does anyone else think that'd be a great name for a drink?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-19 08:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Aunite B. Your the best!

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-20 05:44 am   Permalink

to Tikiskip! In fact, if you don't mind, I'll dance The Hukilau at your next grand opening!!! Auntie B.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

As for Boyd's it is a shame that our only Tiki venue in Denver was so short lived. I am hoping that as time passes that the inspiration for a new place does not pass with it.

In the mean time we will make do with some really great home based events.

B.T.W. Hello Bungy! I have really enjoyed your posts on this new thread!

If you plan to visit Denver, let us know!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-21 07:44 am   Permalink

to tiki fink! What a name! When we were kids it was the worst we could call someone! "You big fink!"We weren't even allowed to say that if mother caught us saying it! So, wear it proudly! in fact, we couldn't chew chewing gum in public, and if we were lucky to get our hands on a pack, it had to be chewed in our bedrooms,...or ..up the beach all by ourselves! And.. we weren't allowed "OK", either. I used to call poor Ba(Ben's mom) "Liver lips and Bug eyes" and she'd cry! Doesn't sound so mean now, does it???

I think because we lived in this paradise, outside the norm of everyone else, that mohter tried to make us relaized we had to be civilized! On the other hand, she told me I could skip as much school as I wanted in my senior year, just sl long as I kept my grades up, because she thought school was ruining my free spirit ...or something like that!
I was out an average of once a week, and had a greta time, working on keeping The Cove clean,helping my dad in his shop, gathering and cutting wood for fireplace and wood stoves, etc. I LOVED working!
Thinking of firpeplace: Ours was upstairs between the dining room and the living room, and the chimney was a big ship's funnel. We would have guests in for dinner, and afterwards they'd go to living room for coffee with the fire blazing merrily. The evening wind would shift, and blow down the funnel,and the smoke would start pouring into the room. Mother would say somehting like, "Oh! Let's all go out and watch the moon over th ocean!" and they'd all gather hteir coats,couhging and tears running down their cheeks, and traipse out. Daddy would say to me, "Quick! Go change the dang funnel!" So I'd runn around the house, and up the side of the cliff which the house was built against, climb thru the ice plants and onto the roof. Creep up to the Funnel, put my arms around it, and tug it around until it's back was to the wind.. and pretty soon all would come back in and nothing was ever said about it! I didn't think anyhting about it.. I just thot everyone had chimney problems!

Hare maru! Auntie B.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-21 09:10 am   Permalink

Just a quick bump. The name combines a couple of my favorite things. Tiki and Drag Racing. Especially Tiki and vintage Drag Racing 1950 - 1968. You may remember Rat Fink as a 60's pop icon for teenage boys and hot rod enthusiasts. There was a Rat Fink in almost every gumball machine in every grocery store in America during my childhood.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation