FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 11:16 am   Permalink

Scan the photos.
Save the stories.
Make a book.
Give me one of the first 10 that come off the press.

ARRRRR!
Thanks Benji and Bungy.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-26 12:36 pm   Permalink

I can't believe the pixs I am seeing. We lost everything in 1978, when a wall of water 57 feet high came down our river, here in Texas! So this is really fun to know that some of these still exist!!
here goes:
#1. Our house sat against the 250 ft cliff.. at the very end of "Trade Winds Cove" AKA Royal Palms Country Club AKA Royal Palms State Park and for our purposes "The Cove"! there was 2000' of ocean front! There were probably 800' of palm trees meandering down through pink cement, with a grand terraza dance floor at one end. We kept this clean by yanking down a palm frond, stripping off the thorns, and using it as a broom, swishing it back and forth with long strokes.. It was really fast!! The ships oars in the middle separated the house froma storage bldg. Dining room and LR upstairs, all else down. Note the driftwood on the beach directly in front of house. All Pacific Beaches were strewn with all kinds of flotsum and jetsum, and gorgeous driftwood at that time! Ba (pronounced Bay.. Ben's mom) and I were the wood gathers in the winter. Afetr school, we'd head up the beach and as we walked we tossed the perfect size pieces of wood we could find up on a little path right beside the beach, then came the hard part. We'd climb up on the path and start arguing about whose piece of wood was who's!!! And we'd argue all the way home.. because we had to get home with a full load!! Poor Ba lost a lot. She may have been more glamorous but I was bigger and stronger!!
#2. That is Daddy coming out of front door.. Our door bell was a zyther.. and some would just strum it across, and others would actually try to play it! And we, inside would yell, "Someone get the door, the zyther has played!" Note the bottom panels on front door: They are copies of Renoirs! Marylyn (Mare, 2nd sister, painted them periodically, so when you came home, you never knew what new Renoir would be on the door! She also did a bunch of Gaugain on the doors and walls of an outside restroom facility, down at the other end of Cove.
The outside fireplace was made from rocks from the beach, and the chimney was used inside for the wood stove in parents bedroom. There was a small barrel placed outside their window, and the pet Pelican, Abraham (because he looked like Abe Lincoln) would sit on it at night , and tap at the window trying to get in to be with the family!

I have to go now! But will see you soon at pix #3!!! By the by.. I am working on my Book right now, too.. each one of us has different ideas on our lives! I started sailing when I was 12, and crewed on sailboats all up and down coast, Mexico, South Seas and abck and forth to hawaii for about 6 years. So this is all just jogging my memory, and I thank you all for being so nice to me!!! Maururu a vau! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2005-12-26 5:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Auntie Bungy for the gift of these memories. I feel so privileged to be able to share in these accounts of your amazing and adventurous life. Thanks for joining TC and sharing the spirit of those times.......

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 6:23 pm   Permalink

Sign me up for that book too. (just one copy will do me, tho') Didja ever think this whole Site should be mined for a book?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 6:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks again Aunt Bungy And Benj for the pix and story.
Definitely sign me up for the book, the movie, the DVD AND the t-shirt. Is there gonna be a Mug too??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CrazyTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-26 6:32 pm   Permalink

Auntie Bungy,
Wow, what an amazing life you have lived. And to remember and be able to put it all down on paper in such a great fashion for us to all enjoy is awesome! For those of us Tiki lovers who don't live even close to any sort of tropical/beach climate, your stories are much appreciated. That house must having been quite an adventure to live in. I grew up in an old farmhouse without electricity and television so I do understand how growing up in such a way makes you have a different viewpoint on life. Definitely makes life more of an adventure. Thanks for the stories!

View Profile of CrazyTiki Send a personal message to CrazyTiki  Email CrazyTiki Goto the website of CrazyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-27 2:57 pm   Permalink

tinglerart made refence to life as an adventure.. well! If anyone is eager for a real down to earth adventure in this day and age..it is white water rafting down the Grand Canyon.. I went last year for 14 days, 219 miles, 90 rapids (4 of these were 10 plus!) I refused to sleep in a tent becasue why on earth would you go on soemthing like that and sleep inside!!! The stars were so close you could touch them! The balmy night breezes wafted across you, and wakened you so you could lie there and smell the sweet desert smells, and hear the Colorado going happily on its way!
BUT! One night it rained! and it rained ! And it rained.. all night long! Well.. at the Cove, I spent years sleeping outside. I had a metal cot off a navy ship and a sleeping bag with a sheet pinned inside, and from 2 to five dogs when the winter gales blew m in and the rain poured down..so I was used to it, and before going to bed, I put my gound sheet down so I could pull it over me in case it really did rain. Then, I got my slicker (coat and pants) out and rolled them up right beside my pillow. Then , I stowed all my gear away in my water proof river bag, and went to bed.. it took an hour before the rain started. I jumped up, got into my rain stuff, got back into my sleeping bag.. and pulled the ground cover over me..it was old and was no cover for the rain.. within a half hour I my down filled sleeping bag was soaked .. but I was dry because of my slicker.. and it wasn't that cold becasue this was Arizona desert! So, I kept feeling my hands all night to make sure I wasn't getting too cold in the pouring rain, and kept moving my bare feet becaue they were in a puddle at the end of my bag!.. only just last month, when I was thinking about this I said, "DUH!" How could I feel my cold hands with my cold hands!! Finally dawn came, and with it hot coffee around the campfire! It turned out only 3 of us had slept out!
We swam and bathed in 50% water filled with silt. tthere was a 5 gallon plastic bucket for you know what.. and that was all for ameneties.. so if any of you want a primo adventure.. that is it.. but you have to go the whole 14 days, oar powered to get the full adventure!! Happy days! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-27 4:22 pm   Permalink

More Amazing Aunt Bungy tales. Even your river rafting trip was awesome. I hafe gone trout fishingjust above the Grand Canyon and I know the scenery is story book beautiful.
I want to know what ever happened to Abraham. I used to really Love pelicans.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-28 3:23 pm   Permalink

Re: Abraham, the pet pelican, "the funny old bird called a pelican, whose beak could hold more than his belly can, Oh! The heck he can!! !!!
I think it was Ba (ben's mom) who came running into the house one day, screaming "I found a pelican up the beach who can't fly! I think something is wrong with his wing!" So all 4 of we girls went dashing up to rescue the pelican. Flo and Mare carried him down, while I held his beak, which was busy trying to peck at us. We hung a bunch of fishnet up and made a cage for him and put him in there with some water. Then, we dashed in the station wagon (a new woody!) down to the fishing docks in San Pedro, and bought him a bucketful of bait fish. Oh! How he did like that!
My dad came along and gave us a lecture about how we can't hold someone from the wild in captivity, and that we should let him ( by this time Abraham Lincoln!) get out of the cage and see what he wants to do! When A. saw he was free to go, he couldn't fly still, so he was a bit shy.. but after a few days he realized that everyday after school, we'd head down to the fishing docks for his food, and he started waiting for us at the entrance to the Cove! pretty soon he got to where he could fly.. but still only just off the ground, so he'd fly alongside the car, squawking at us!! Then, he got really friendly and kept trying to follow us into the house! The entry hall was flag stone rocks (from our beach, naturally!) and shelves were loaded with mother's what nots of fine porceline etc!.. One day, he made it, and immediatly started flapping his wings and squawking and knocking everyhting off the shelves, until a couple of us were able to grab him, suppress the wings and get him outside oncemore.. after that he sat on the barrel outside the house and looked in really mournfully!
He got to where he could fly out and catch his own fish, and then, he'd join other pelicans resting on the ocean! Right in front of the house. When friends would come visiting they'd ask where Abraham was, and we'd step to the beach, clap our hands and yell, "Abraham", and pretty soon, he'd take off from the midst of the other pelicans,, and land right at our feet!
Soon, he started going off for a few days.. and returning,and then, a few more days etc. It was 2 months one time, and he returned and Daddy found a fish hook in his wing. He took it out, and Abraham stayed aorund until the next morning, then he took off and that was the last we saw of him!! We missed him a lot.. and even today, when we go to visit The Cove and we spot some pelicans resting on the ocean, one of us will step to the beach, and clap their hands, and yell, "Abraham!" and we all get a warm feeling in our hearts!
I'll get to the rest of the numbered pix next time!!! Auntie Bungy

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-28 5:02 pm   Permalink

Thank you Bungy and RevBambooBen. After consuming the BOT, I started looking on the net for these type of vintage photos and stories of the early days of "tiki bars". That search eventually led me Tiki Central. This is a very nice and rare treat, even in Tiki Central.

Thanks again.
JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 06:18 am   Permalink

Thanks Aunt Bungy for the heart warming Abraham story. How fortunate you all were to be blessed by this goofy looking bird. I'll bet he remembered you in just the same way you rememberd him, all warm and fuzzy.

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:33 pm   Permalink

Re: Pix #3... (if you know what I am talking about!! I can't find them!
This is mohter polishing fish floats, and i imagine it was for a photo op.. because when we were really working we didn't look this nice! We were always polishing fish floats! This must have been a shipment of floats up from Mexico. The "Crates" were made of little tree branches, and then the floats were packed with straw. How ever
did they last the truck ride?! The new floats from Mexico were hand blown and usually brown or white. The used floats that were found on the beaches were from Japan, and were red, green, blue. Sometimes when you actually found afloat up in Oregon, or Northern Ca.. they woudl have water and sand in them! From thew pressure of the storms at sea! Daddy used those crates for decorating luaus!
When we were in Disneyland, we were ordering hand carved masks from Patsquaro.. and were paying about $3.00 for card board cartons for them to be shipped in. My cousin and I went down their and found out that we could get the baskets that are now sold as laundry baskets for 50cents a piece.. so that was how we got them shipped after that! \After we were in Disneyland,Daddy started a shop on 2-5 acres of land right on Beach Blvd, in Midway City. He made it into a tropical paradise, complete with watrefalls, tikis, bamboo stands, and much more. He even had a small stand of bamboo that he put little squares around when the shoots were small.. and ended up with square bamboo!
Inside the shop, which was called Island Trade store.. was a fairyland of hand made tropical decorations.
One time he got an order for about 60 lamps made from bamboo, for a big restaurant in Alska! We all worked on those!!
This shop is where he created his TIKI workshop which was a back field. The county trucks would bring him any date palms they'd cut down.. and he ordered "featherstone" from Nevada. One of those peices of featherstone was the pix of him carving a stone tiki. I thought he'd really gone uptown hen he got a chain saw, and started outlining the tikis! The grandkids (including Bamboo Ben!) would climb all over the logs, and half done tikis! It wa sa great jungle!
The guys who started Pier One Imports, came by and bought a lot of stuff for their very first store! They and Daddy spent a lot of time together, and I think Daddy helped them decorate that store..
See ya soon! Auntie Bungy
PS. I get to fly in a little 2 passenger plane all over the county tomorrow! Hope the weather holds!

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:43 pm   Permalink

<<<He even had a small stand of bamboo that he put little squares around when the shoots were small.. and ended up with square bamboo! >>>

I'm going to try this.

Stop leaving us and keep writing.
We're addicted now!

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 7:00 pm   Permalink

Dearest Auntie Bungy,

I've just read through all your stories and I'm smiling big-time!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us. One of my biggest regrets in life is not recording my grandmother's stories for posterity. Stories are so important so we don't forget where we came from! Anyway... I'm fairly fond of Disney theme parks. Especially Adventureland! Perhaps you could share some more stories of the shop in Disneyland? Did you ever meet Walt Disney?

Thanks again from sunny (but strangely cold right now) Florida!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 07:03 am   Permalink

I'm with Pablus, Gotta try the square bamboo (I know we have Bamboo Ben, but he is a Different Square type), it would be such fun to work with.
Thanks again Aunt Bungy, your stories are Awesome.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation