FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 12:57 pm   Permalink

It's time for us to reverse engineer this marvel.
Tough call though.

It's got a hint of coconut in it but not much.
Also - something rather vanilla-ish. Perhaps Licor43.

There are several juices in there. Maybe a bit of pineapple and maybe...uhhh... apple?
The rum would be light if there is any in there at all. I couldn't pull it out enough to tell.

Dang - I only had one when I was at the Tiki Ti last month and I knew it was going to be a tough one.
I guess I could kidnap miles and get the recipe that way... but that would be a crime I think.

Ohhhh, why did it have to be so good? I've thought about that blasted drink almost every day since I had it.
I need some hot buttered rums to help me forget.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 1:05 pm   Permalink

Ah, now you've gone and made me thirsty.

The Ray's Mistake is made with rum & gin. For a few years there, the younger Mike didn't know it was supposed to have gin in it, and he was just making it with rum. Now you can order it either way.

I can't really say without having tasted one in a while (*sniff!*), but I don't recall any coconut flavor. Pineapple is likely, and I think perhaps orgeat? That might be the vanilla-ish flavor you're getting. Some lime juice wouldn't surprise me. God, I've watched them both make them a thousand times, but my only thought at that moment is a combination of "GIMME!" and "THANK YOU!"

Weirduncletiki's thoughts would be great to hear -- I know he's taken tasting notes on the Ray's Mistake.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Beachbum Berry wrote:
In 1968, the Tiki-Ti's signature drink was born ... by accident. Ray put the wrong syrups in an Anting Anting ("Witches' Brew" in Tagalog), caught the error, and was about to dump it when the customer said he'd take it anyway. The happy mishap was Christened "Ray's Mistake."

any way to track down the "anting anting?" i googled it and got lots of filipino culture but no recipes.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 1:59 pm   Permalink

AFAIK, the Anting Anting is another Ray Buhen concoction, and its recipe is likely just as difficult to track down as Ray's Mistake.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-21 4:38 pm   Permalink

The Anting Anting tastes very similar to the Ray's Mistake. You can tell that it differes by only one or two ingredients. The Anting Anting is more tart then the Mistake, and if you are used to drinking Mistakes then the Anting Anting tastes like *IT* is the mistake; like a Ray's Mistake that is missing whatever it is that makes it so good.

Gin explains it. That is probably where that floral quality comes from: the botanicals in the gin. It definitely has citrus (lime and maybe a little orange), passion, pineapple, dark rum (Coruba) and an unidentified syrup and liqueur. I was also thinking maybe Licor 43. It's a tough nut to crack, that's for sure.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 4:47 pm   Permalink

If I'm not mistaken I think I have seen them put some kind of powder in the the drink as well. I always wondered if it is crystal light or kool aid I think it is what gives it a hint of something like a pixie stick. Next time your there watch them carefully. Damn I wish they were open tonight cause I am headed to a show over in that area right now.

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-12-21 17:13 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 7:10 pm   Permalink

I'm pretty good at the reverse engineering but I think Basement Kahuna is better.
Jerk. Kid. Punk.

Maybe I should fly him out there in an overcoat and dark glasses and he can figure it out.

By the way, the proprieters of Tiki Ti were extremely courteous to me when I mentioned Tiki Central and Humuhumu in particular.
I guess that Mike is the elder of the 2 hard-working talents behind the bar. He was engaging and personable and I look forward to meeting him again.

At which time I will demand the recipe at kinikini point.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 07:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-21 13:05, Humuhumu wrote:
Ah, now you've gone and made me thirsty.

The Ray's Mistake is made with rum & gin. For a few years there, the younger Mike didn't know it was supposed to have gin in it, and he was just making it with rum. Now you can order it either way.

I can't really say without having tasted one in a while (*sniff!*), but I don't recall any coconut flavor. Pineapple is likely, and I think perhaps orgeat? That might be the vanilla-ish flavor you're getting. Some lime juice wouldn't surprise me. God, I've watched them both make them a thousand times, but my only thought at that moment is a combination of "GIMME!" and "THANK YOU!"

Weirduncletiki's thoughts would be great to hear -- I know he's taken tasting notes on the Ray's Mistake.

So without Gin it's a "Mike's Mistake"?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 07:55 am   Permalink

Mike's Ray's Mistake

Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 6:20 pm   Permalink

Perhapse the powder mentioned is Coconut Snow, which would explain the coconut flavor mentioned earlier.

I had one last night and I don't particularly remember a coconut flavor, nor do I remember them putting any powder in it. However... I did see mike putting powder in some drinks as they were being made, but I did not pay attention to what they were.

Oops, my bad. I got too caught up in the experience and forgot to take notes. I guess that is how they have kept their recipies so secret for so many years.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 11:34 am   Permalink

I'm a big fan of the Anting Anting...love that one. I've been trying to figure that one out for a long time, but haven't quite got it yet. Not that I'm trying to put the Tiki Ti out or anything, I just want to see if I can make one.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 12:00 pm   Permalink

Curly commenting on Ray's Mistake.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 12:38 pm   Permalink

Could the mystery flavour be Galliano? Just a guess.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-19 12:38, Tikiwahine wrote:
Could the mystery flavour be Galliano? Just a guess.

Not in a Ray's Mistake. No licorice flavor in the mistake. Maybe in the Space Pilot, though. It kind of tastes like a mistake with a licorice infusion.

I made another attempt to reproduce the Ray's Mistake last week. It was a failed attempt, but the drink did taste similar and was actually pretty good. Needs more lime and less Benedictine, but it still probably won't taste like a Ray's Mistake. I am guessing that it uses a syrup that they make themselves, much like Donn Beach used to do.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 6:09 pm   Permalink

I was at Swanky's Hapa Haole Hideaway the other night and he handed me a SpinDrift.
I sipped it and immediately tasted the hint of the same thing I tasted in the Ray's Mistake.

It was vanilla extract.

That was the vanilla essence I caught in the RM.

I'll need some more research.
Do they Fedex drinks?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation