FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 7:23 pm   Permalink

I just made one, not I just made "me." Yeah this drink is working out nicely... Good research.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 1:55 pm   Permalink

I have been tinkering with ickytiki's and mine own recipe all weekend. Will probably make a few more runs tonight then present my imitation.

But yes, on the whole I think we are doing well.

I have reformulated a bit going with Finest Call brand Orgeat (As I think it may be what is used, it actually does have similar note to the Hiram Walker Creme de noyueax we have been using, and the creme de noyueax just makes the drink too darn red.)

My only problem is while I am getting close on flavor, my drink color is too pale, I get a pale green and not the dark yellow for the drink.

The color I imagine comes form the reddish/brown syrup used in the drink manufacture. I try to imagine what would give that color and keep the same flavor profile we are after.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 10:03 am   Permalink

I've never had the pleasure to try one at the Tiki Ti, so I'm just throwing stuff out... is it possible there is a dash or two of Angostura bitters in it? It sometimes adds a reddish-brown "cherry wood" color to a drink. Coupled with the orangy-yellow of FC Passion Fruit puree, it might produce the color you're after.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-05-01 10:06 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 10:56 am   Permalink

On page 6 it was stated that someone observed "a pour of yellowish stuff from an unmarked bottle".

How about this, which I find is sold in California.

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-05-03 10:57 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-03 4:32 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...

There is something red added to the drink for sure. Otherwise the recipe comes out "Tang" orange. So I think my last recipe is close using the Creme de Noyaux. I added 3 drops of Vanilla Extact and bumped up the Club Soda to 2 ounces of Club Soda on my last attempt and it was GREAT!

So...

1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux (Almond) Hiram Walker
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda
And a Float of Coruba Rum

The only other thing I can come up with would be:

1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Grenadine (Another Red Syrup)
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

Anybody??? (haha!)

~ickytiki

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 5:46 pm   Permalink

What do you suppose is the mistake in Ray's Mistake? The gin? All those ingredients are typical of exotic drinks, except Creme de Noyaux.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 9:45 pm   Permalink

supposedly Ray was making an Anting Anting but grabbed "the wrong two syrups."

pretty sure from all that's written here that one half of the "Mistake" is the passionfruit syrup.

we need these guys to break down the Anting anting for us...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

Okay... I just made the following recipe:

1 oz White Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/4 oz Grenadine (Torani - Pomegranate Syrup)
3 Drops of McCormick Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of McCormick Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

Shake all ingredients together (except Coruba Rum) with crushed ice and pour unrestrained into glass... add Coruba Rum float.

It's the best one yet!

Once again, feedback is needed!

~ickytiki

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 09:46 am   Permalink

Good work, folks.

I'm so far removed from having tasted it that I can't comment except to say.

They all taste good and the balance I remember is getting closer.

Mahalo.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Redcoltken

Posted: 2012-05-22 10:22 pm   Permalink

So close, so very very close. Tone down the sweetness a bit. Ichy is as close as we are gonna get to it I think. I have to do more research. It helps to live close to TikiTi!

[ This Message was edited by: Redcoltken 2012-05-22 22:25 ]

View Profile of Redcoltken Send a personal message to Redcoltken      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-23 08:56 am   Permalink

I haven't tried Ickytiki's recipe yet, but I do question two of the ingredients: the drops of vanilla and almond extract. Somehow I imagine that those flavors might be handled by a specific mixture of Orgeat and vanilla syrups ( that "yellowish" bottle of something mentioned in this thread? and maybe omitting the simple syrup?) rather than by drops of extract. Just a suggestion that may account for the flavors while at the same time toning down the sweetness.
Just a suggestion.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 09:47 am   Permalink

I agree, I think the almond comes form orgeat, the vanilla probably comes from an extract and is just a component in one of the syrups.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-24 5:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

I'm not claiming in any way that I cracked the mystery of the Ray's Mistake.

I am simply trying to chase the flavors of the drink...

I have no doubt that Vanilla Syrup could replace my Simple Syrup/Vanilla Extract combination... Vanilla Syrup grabbed instead of Simple Syrup makes sense because they are the same color. Plus a similiar flavor is produced.

Or...

Creme de Noyaux grabbed instead of using my Grenadine/Almond Extract mix. Once again, if the Creme de Noyaux was grabbed instead of Grenadine, that mistake would produce the almond flavor of the drink.

So...

If the drink has a couple of syrup mistakes... Vanilla Syrup & Creme de Noyaux still make sense. It was a mistake afterall!!!

However, wouldn't adding Orgeat to this drink make it even sweeter and cloudier? Please send your thoughts.

~ickytiki

BH

Posted: 2012-05-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

I had the pleasure of enjoying some drinks at Tiki-Ti this past Wednesday and my first drink of the night was a Ray's Mistake. Without having tried it yet, this recipe definitely looks to be on the right track. I plan on making the recipe later today and will provide feedback once I've tasted it, but in the meantime I have two questions: 1) I've always felt a combination of Pineapple and Orange Juice was in the drink, have you considered this? and 2) The drink seems to possess an orange liquor flavor in the background, could it possibly contain Orange Curacao or Triple Sec? One of my favorite Tiki-Ti drinks is the Jim's Special and that drink is approximated very well using (as per the Bum's suggestion in Sippin' Safari) a mixture of 0.50oz Orange Curacao with 0.25oz Orgeat and 0.25oz Simple Syrup. I believe Tiki-Ti calls this combination of ingredients their Mai-Tai Mix and I think it's possible that Mai-Tai Mix was one of the syrups mistakenly added when Ray was making an Anting Anting and accidentally discovered the Ray's Mistake.

One last comment: I think it will be very hard to replicate this drink using fresh squeezed lime juice, as opposed to the frozen lime juice used at the Tiki-Ti for many of their cocktails, including the Ray's Mistake. In my opinion frozen lime juice imparts a very specific (and somewhat artificial) flavor to the cocktails and gives them a much different flavor than fresh-squeezed would.

View Profile of BH Send a personal message to BH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BH

Posted: 2012-05-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

Ok, here's the promised follow-up:

I tried ickytiki's recipe and it's an admirable attempt and a very good drink. I think it's a little too sweet and we need to find a way to dial down the sweetness without making the drink overly sour, but a great effort overall. Also, I do not think this drink contains grenadine. I'm using Trader Vic's, which through experimentation I've concluded is the best, and I am getting a pink color even using just a teaspoon. The Ray's Mistake definitely is not pink. Also, I am starting to think that the only reason Tiki-Ti uses club soda in just about every drink is to offset the frozen lime juice. I am using fresh-squeezed lime juice and not getting any foam on this drink. I made one version where I incorporated orange and pineapple juice (usually pineapple juice creates a lot of foam) and mixed it with a 100-watt upright mixer and got zero foam. I think the club soda is killing the foam. So for me, I'm not using club soda any longer in trying to recreate this drink. Since I just mentioned the OJ and pineapple juice that I tried, it's a good time to mention that I do not think the drink has orange juice in it. I can't rule out pineapple juice yet, but OJ is definitely out in my opinion. Overall I'm leaning towards the original recipe posted by ickytiki, but without the grenadine and club soda, and I want to tweak it further from there.

View Profile of BH Send a personal message to BH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation