FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-17 6:51 pm   Permalink

Okay... Okay...

Another attempt!

After many, many trials, I came up with a beautifully balanced drink. I agree that my other recipes were too sweet. Once again, I'm not claiming to unlock the secrets of the Ray's Mistake... Just obtain the right flavors.

Try this one out!!! I was shocked how wonderful the final results were...

¾ oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
¾ oz White Rum (Cruzan)
¾ oz Gin (Barton’s)
1/8 oz Pomegranate Syrup (Torani)
½ oz Lime Juice
¼ oz Vanilla Syrup (Torani)
¼ oz Orgeat (Monin)
3 oz Club Soda
Float Coruba Rum

Pour all the ingredients into your shaker except the Club Soda and Coruba Rum. Add about six ounces of crushed ice. Pour the Club Soda on top of the ice and give your shaker a few shakes. Pour everything, unrestrained, into a pint glass and float the Coruba Rum.

This produces an amazing, refreshing drink!!! It's a lot lighter than my previous attempts and the flavors melt into each other.

~ickytiki

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Barclayf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-22 8:04 pm   Permalink

I tried this recipe and I like it a lot. I like your previous sweeter version to, but this one is very refreshing and very easy to drink.

That being said, I must admit I've never been to the Tiki-Ti. I just like that drink on its on merit.

Here in Montreal, Coruba is unavailable. I'm subbing other dark rum like Appleton 12 years and Pusser. Any advice on what should I use?

Thank you for your work.

View Profile of Barclayf Send a personal message to Barclayf  Goto the website of Barclayf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 07:55 am   Permalink

As I have never been to the Tiki Ti but have followed in the forum the fuss and bother about this particular drunk. Last night I made this latest version (the ONLY version I've tried) with the following exceptions to the published recipe:

Passion fruit syrup - Used my own home made - the Bum's recipe using frozen pulp.
Gin: Used Beefeater London Dry - Barton's isn't found around here.
Vanilla Syrup: Used Fee's French Vanilla - it's what I have on hand
Orgeat: I used French Teisseire brand which I prefer above all others I've tried

Everything else remained as posted. NOW I understand what all the fuss and bother was about! It is a very well-blended, balanced and refreshing drink.
I've read most of the posts regarding this drink and certainly would like to know what the final word is on what was the actual "mistake".

Fantastic job, ickytiki!

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-06-23 07:56 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-26 1:28 pm   Permalink

I wonder,... has Mike ever gotten distracted, while mixing a Ray's Mistake, and accidentally made an Anting Anting?

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-26 3:23 pm   Permalink

Ha!

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-02 9:34 pm   Permalink

OK, i made these two versions of the Ray's Mistake simulations:

the Registered Astronaut ("R.A.") version from page 7 of this thread, and the second Icky Tiki ("I.T.") version from page 8 of this thread (but omitting the grenadine), to wit:

Quote:

On 2012-04-24 22:34, Registered Astronaut wrote:
sounds like a good tiki drink, but from further research, I have deduced that the drink is simply
1 ounce lime juice
1 ounce passion syrup
1ounce simple syrup
1 generous ounce of gin
splash club soda
shake, pour, top with coruba

The white syrup that we all thought was orgeat or creme de noyaux is just plain simple syrup. Follow the simple syrup bottle with your eyes at the tiki ti and will see it can't be orgeat or Creme De Noyaux because they use it in drinks that call for neither of those things.

I encourage further research but for me at least the case is closed. I've watched too many of them get made at this point.

Quote:

On 2012-05-06 12:02, ickytiki wrote:
Okay... I just made the following recipe:

1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
1 oz White Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/4 oz Grenadine (Torani - Pomegranate Syrup)
3 Drops of McCormick Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of McCormick Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda
And a Float of Coruba Rum

Shake all ingredients together (except Coruba Rum) with crushed ice and pour unrestrained into glass... add Coruba Rum float.

It's the best one yet!

Once again, feedback is needed!

~ickytiki

these were both excellent drinks!

my wife and I sampled these drinks. oddly, the I.T. version tasted sweeter to each of us, even though it contained less simple syrup than the R.A. version. I think the extra seltzer water in I.T.'s version somehow emphasizes the sweetness more, OR, the sweetness difference shows that there's no vanilla/almond additives to the drink. I had no Coruba on hand, and tried to approximate it by mixing Gosling's black seal with El Dorado dark; in any event, the R.A. version had notes of vanilla/almond even though no such additives were in the drink.

I used 2 ounces of gin in the R.A. recipe, and still (with each recipe) didnt pick up any "herbal" or "botanic" notes. We know that one of the "wrong" syrups in this drink is passionfruit syrup; i'm wondering if it's the other "wrong" syrup, and not the gin, that imparts the strong herbal flavors many observers have noted in the Mistake.

I agree with others that, based on the photographic evidence, there is no grenadine, creme de noyeaux, or other red liqueur in the drink.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2012-07-02 22:03 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 08:39 am   Permalink

Porpoise,

I agree on the red as I have been to the Ti a few times since resurrecting research and there is really no red. The color comes from the the syrup they use that is a fairly dark brown in the bottle, but then lightens up to the dark yellow we see in the final drink.

My original idea using creme de noyeaux was because of the flavor profile it had which was similar to what the drink gives. But even the tiniest amount of creme de noyeaux gives the drink a definite pink to red hue, which is obviously not part of the drink.

Which points me to Finest Call Orgeat (Finest Call being their choice of grenadine and bloody mary mix), which I think they use, but not in full strength. Out of the bottle the stuff is just way too sweet and far cloudier then any syrups they have in their bottles. But the finest call brand orgeat flavor is pretty disticnt and I don't doubt it being an ingredient. I think they use the orgeat watered down at perhaps a 1:1 ratio with water for their almond flavor.

What I am still working on is how to replicate the flavor of lime, which they get from frozen lime juice, it may be sacrilege but perhaps I should try bottled lime juice, and then I am still not totally sure what is used for the Tiki-Ti's passion fruit flavor. My feeling would be it is Finest Call passion fruit puree watered down or mixed wiht something else, but I am just not sure. Research continues.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-05 3:09 pm   Permalink

Yep... Nothing red in this drink!

I was using an older stash of Passion Fruit Syrup... It was way, way, way more brown previously. The new stuff that I just bought is more yellow than any other color. (Banana Yellow!) And if you add the slightest, red colored flavoring or liquor you get a pink drink. So that eliminates the Grenadine or Creme de Noyaux all together.

I've also backed off the Club Soda a bit to just 2 ounces. So, here's the latest version:

¾ oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
¾ oz White Rum (Cruzan)
¾ oz Gin (Barton’s)
½ oz Fresh Lime Juice (Or from Frozen Concentrate)
¼ oz Vanilla Syrup (Torani)
¼ oz Monin Orgeat (Or Finest Call)
2 oz Club Soda
Float Coruba Rum

Pour all the ingredients into your favorite shaker save the Club Soda and Coruba Rum. Add about six ounces of crushed ice. Shake the mistake and pour it, unrestrained, into a pint glass. Add the club soda and give it a stir and then float the Coruba Rum.

Okay folks... Let's hear the verdict... Is this the closest yet???

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2012-08-05 15:23 ]

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeje

Posted: 2012-11-18 11:52 am   Permalink

Dear ickytiki, I have never had a "real" Ray's Mistake but I find your drink very tasty and unique. One thing that I noticed though was that the last few sips of the drink gets too watered down to my taste. I made some tweaks that I think makes your drink even tastier:

1/2 oz passion fruit syrup (home made)*
3/4 oz light rum (I used Havana Club)
3/4 oz gin (I used Bombay)
3/4 oz lime juice*
1/4 oz vanilla syrup (home made)
1/4 oz Orgeat (I used Monin)*
1 oz club soda*
1/2 oz dark Coruba (float)

Shake everything except soda with 1 cup crushed ice.
Pour unstrained into glass.
Stir in soda.
If necessary, add more ice to fill glass. Float coruba.

*=tweaks

I have no idea if this is cloaser to the real mistake, but I find this tastier:-)

[ This Message was edited by: Jeje 2012-11-21 09:50 ]

View Profile of Jeje Send a personal message to Jeje      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 10:39 am   Permalink

Anyone still playing with Ray's Mistake? I'm still thrown off by the color as some pictures of the drink are clearly red tinted and yet some others are yellowish. One of these days I'll get to the Tiki Ti and have one from the Masters!

I've been thoroughly enjoying the following attempt at home though:

1 ounce Sweetbird Passion Fruit syrup
1.25 ounce Bombay Sapphire gin
1 ounce white Puerto Rican rum
1 ounce lime juice, fresh squeezed
Half ounce Bols Creme De Noyaux (mostly for that bit of red color)
Half ounce simple syrup made from turbinado sugar
1 ounce Club Soda
Generous splash of Coruba on top

Cheers!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-27 09:15, Bora Boris wrote:
Here's a picture, just so you know what the goal is.

I'm now longing for an inanimate object.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 12:58 pm   Permalink

Wish I had one right now! To hell with work!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 8:43 pm   Permalink

Well, I actually got out of bed to make this cause you all made me thirsty. I went with:

3/4 oz of Torani passion fruit syrup
juice of one small lime
1/2 oz Sonoma vanilla-almond syrup
1/4 oz Sonoma Syrup grenadine
1 oz Cruzan white
1 oz Tanqueray
2 oz club soda
LH151 float

. . . not bad at all I should have used more ice, cut the passion fruit down to 1/2 oz and up-ed the vanilla-almond to 3/4 oz . . . next one . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-01 8:52 pm   Permalink

The drink in its finished form is certainly a dirty yellow. The color comes from a brown syrup that is used as an ingredient (And I still can't figure what is in it, but it is used in multiple drinks).

From what I can figure the ingredients include: Finest Call Orgeat (Probably cut in half with water guessing by the color in the bottle they use and the flavor profile), Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree mix (also cut in half most likely), their mix of light rum and gin, their lime juice (not fresh), possibly some simple syrup, their brown syrup, some club soda, and of course a coruba float.

Using most of those ingredients you get pretty damnable close, but the color is too pale, due to the lack of brown syrup of course. So any ideas regarding what the makeup of the brown syrup could help us make progress.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 07:38 am   Permalink

I finally got a chance to sit down and read the entire thread. I'd like to thank you all for the time, effort, and work you've put into it so far.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation