FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 03:59 am   Permalink

So what makes a syrup brown? i can think about demerara or muscovado sugars, coke, nuts, coffee, roots and spices? i have never had that drink so i have no idea what it could be..but i been fascinated by this subject for years..lol

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2013-03-07 04:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2013-03-07 04:00 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 8:57 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I have had that question rolling around in my head for quite a while. It isn't a spice of any kind, not coffee or nutty flavor. It might be a brown sugar syrup of some time. Thinking back they don't use a specific passion fruit syrup/puree. So I wonder if they maybe just mix the passion fruit puree with some dark rum and water to thin it out and darken it up. The only thing that was keeping me back on this was was that adding booze to a syrup raises costs. And this drink is probably relatively cheap when they sell it for 6 bucks on Wednesdays. Further experimentation will happen this weekend.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 03:46 am   Permalink

I think booze in the syrup is out of the question, like you said, too expensive. Maybe they make a syrup with different sugars? for example there´s light, medium and dark muscovado sugars and the dark for example does have some liqorice flavors in it mingled with a heavy molasses flavor while the medium lack the liqorice and have a lighter and if possible? sweeter taste and the light muscovado is to me even lighter in the molasses type flavor.

I made a syrup once with all 3 of them where the biggest part was the medium dark muscovado.

Then again when i think about it i don`t think they made muscovado syrup with the 3 types, it´s just an idea of what direction i`m thinking...

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 07:42 am   Permalink

Just to get back to what actually is poured at Tiki T according to PiPhiRho from previous post,

"I have watched the Mike's mix this drink many times. It is always mixed from unmarked bottles, except for the Coruba. the recipe is this":

- a pour of clear stuff from an unmarked bottle
- a pour of yellow stuff from an unmarked bottle
- a pour of red stuff from an unmarked bottle
- maybe something secret down below the counter
- a splash of soda water (as with almost all the drinks they make)
- Shake, pour and strain into a highball glass
- float with Coruba

This is what I saw and I actually took notes

half a jigger of a creamy color (orgeat color) thing
half a jigger of a reddish purplish color (watered down grape juice color) thingy, this one was thick, he kept on tapping it in order to pour it
half a jigger simple syrup
one jigger white alcohol
splash of soda
Coruba on top

go figure.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-31 5:02 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-01 08:51 am   Permalink

So....

1 oz Gin
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Ray's Mistake mystery mix
Splash of Soda Water
Float of Coruba Rum

Yes?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 9:48 pm   Permalink

Pretty much.

The spirit component I am pretty sure is a mix of gin and white rum. As it is dispensed out of used liqour bottles. You can tell as the bottle show quite a bit more wear then others behind the bar.

And while hiltiki and I remember the ingredients differently, I would say:

Jigged of spirit
An almost clear syrup that I would think is simple syrup
An opaque syrup that I tend to think is finest call orgeat cut in half
Brown syrup that turns a dirty yellow when diluted
Healthy spalsh of club soda to thin things out
Mix with crushed ice
Pour and float coruba

The problems I run into:
where does the lime and passion fruit flavor come from as there is no pour from one of the dedicated juice bottles. I can only assume this is in the brown mix. Second it also does not name since to have simple syrup and orgeat with the lime and the passion fruit. Drink would be way too sweet.

So that is where I am in my research.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 12:44 pm   Permalink

some have said their lime is from frozen limeade concentrate which could be the opaque syrup.

also, several companies sell reddish brown passionfruit syrups...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corkyjon

Posted: 2013-07-04 2:14 pm   Permalink

I was at Tiki Ti last night with the goal of identifying the mystery ingredient. I tasted lime and pineapple and passion fruit but there was a sweet note that didn't taste like a liqueur. I believe that Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper syrup is used, and that would give the brownish color and spicy sweet tang that I'm tasting.

View Profile of corkyjon Send a personal message to corkyjon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corkyjon

Posted: 2013-07-04 7:36 pm   Permalink

OK, to test my cola theory, I started with
1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz passion fruit juice
1 oz pineapple juice (I made it fresh, canned might take a little less)
1/2 oz orange juice
1/4 oz orgeat
1 1/2 oz white rum
tiny pinch of cinnamon powder
shake with ice and pour into collins glass filled with crushed ice
add several ounces of cola
Jamaican rum float

I tried Dr. Pepper and it was too spicy
Diet Pepsi was close
I don't have Coca Cola syrup but it might give a closer approximation. Syrup would be best since it avoids the dilution that occurs with adding soda.
Tried adding some gin but the flavor was off, and Tiki Ti lists this as a rum drink, not mixed liquors.

It always has struck me that a lot of Tiki Ti drinks taste similarly- I think they use small quantities of strong ingredients like orgeat and cinnamon so no flavor overwhelms the drink.

View Profile of corkyjon Send a personal message to corkyjon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:12 pm   Permalink

hmmmwhaa?? Cinnamon and diet Pepsi??

The lost Buhen secrets revealed!!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-05 7:39 pm   Permalink

When I make my simple syrup, I use turbanado sugar and the result is quite a dark brownish color. Even plain natural sugar produces a darker than usual color.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-09 9:05 pm   Permalink

It's being over-thought. There's no orgeat. If you ask them what's NOT in it they will tell you. The secret ingredient is indeed a secret but they say it's something you would never think of.
It's gin, passion syrup, lime, mystery syrup, Coruba, club soda.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-09 21:05, Registered Astronaut wrote:
It's being over-thought. There's no orgeat. If you ask them what's NOT in it they will tell you. The secret ingredient is indeed a secret but they say it's something you would never think of.
It's gin, passion syrup, lime, mystery syrup, Coruba, club soda.

No orgeat? I pick up a distinct almond flavor, but I suppose that could be part of the mystery syrup.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

somebody needs to deconstruct the Anting Anting (the drink Ray was intending to make when he grabbed the wrong syrup) to further the efforts here re the Mistake.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation