FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 3:09 pm   Permalink

Published in Colorado, from here to you, is a recipe that you may or may not consider authentic. I've done quite a bit of research on this drink and it appears to me that the essential elements as described by others are all here. However, I know a secret is a secret and you're probably wondering how the Hell this recipe got published in some obscure recipe list found in the little southern Colorado Mountain town of Pagosa Springs. Well, I don't know? Maybe someone did a little bit too much talking one night.

RAY'S MISTAKE (from LA)

1oz lime juice,
1oz passion fruit juice
1oz sweet 'n sour
1 oz rum,
1 oz gin,
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coconut milk,
1 oz guava juice.
Shake vigorously, garnish with pineapple.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-16 3:44 pm   Permalink

I have some serious doubts that this is the authenic Ray's Mistake recipe. Where is the Coruba float? I never detected the coconut milk in the drink and at 1 oz I think you would.

I have watched the Mike's mix this drink many times. It is always mixed from unmarked bottles, except for the coruba. the recipe is this:

- a pour of clear stuff from an unmarked bottle
- a pour of yellow stuff from an unmarked bottle
- a pour of red stuff from an unmaked bottle
- maybe something secret down below the counter
- a splash of soda water (as with almost all the drinks they make)
- Shake, pour and strain into a highball glass
- float with Coruba

Of course, I am absolutely going to make this recipe, just in case.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 5:37 pm   Permalink

I am dubious about it being authentic as well: except for the fact that when I read about people discussing this drink, they seem to all agree that it has hints of coconut, gin, and some of the other "notes" listed in the ingredients. With the guava and passion fruit, I believe the final coloration would be correct. I noticed the float of Coruba is missing, but that is an easy thing to rectify. Try googling plaza liquors in pagasoa springs colorado and you will find the recipe lists for many different drinks. What is strange to me is that the one included above is listed as "Ray's Mistake from LA." I plan to eventually call them and get the story on this recipe.

Here's the address:
http://www.plazaliquorstore.com/id17.html

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2007-07-16 17:40 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 9:43 pm   Permalink

I actually mixed this drink today and it was not too bad. It was not a Ray's Mistake at all. Like Phil said, it was coconut flavored. the color was a little similar.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 10:55 pm   Permalink

I thought this blurb from an internet list might be of interest:

10 Best Exotic Drinks
The Insider's List With Julie Moran : Episode FLINS-308

Here are 10 of the country's most fantastic and unusual drinks including their secret ingredients.

PHOTO
#10: "Ray's Mistake"

A unique taste experience, the Mistake is made with lime juice, botanic liqueurs, passion fruit and "Super Secret Flavor," and floated with dark Coruba rum.

Featured at:

Tiki-Ti
Los Angeles, California
323-669-9381
www.Tiki-Ti.com

Tiki-Ti's signature drink originated in 1968 and is named after Ray Buhen, one of a handful of Filipino bartenders who help start the tropical drink craze in the early 1930s.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 10:17 am   Permalink

Well, that settles it. I'm headed to the store now to buy a bottle of "Super Secret Flavor". Can't believe it was so easy.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 12:44 pm   Permalink

Lol.

PiPhiRho

Posted: 2007-07-19 12:32 am   Permalink

So I talked with Mike Sr. at Tiki Ti about this tonight. He laughed and said there was no coconut in the Mistake. No guava, either. He didn't tell me what is in the Ray's Mistake, just what is not in it.

So, of course, I had one. Nectar of the tiki gods!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 07:07 am   Permalink

Phil why don't you ask him different ingredient questions every time you go there of what is NOT in it. That way we can iliminate stuff and maybe narrow it down to what is in there. You know?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2007-07-20 1:31 pm   Permalink

Process of elimination. Hmm... interesting idea. It should only take about 20 years or so.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 10:46 pm   Permalink

I say one year max, if you go in every Wednesday. That is 52 times two or three ingredients. We should be down to the wire by next year...

Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-21 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-19 13:09, PiPhiRho wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-01-19 12:38, Tikiwahine wrote:
Could the mystery flavour be Galliano? Just a guess.

Not in a Ray's Mistake. No licorice flavor in the mistake. Maybe in the Space Pilot, though. It kind of tastes like a mistake with a licorice infusion.

I made another attempt to reproduce the Ray's Mistake last week. It was a failed attempt, but the drink did taste similar and was actually pretty good. Needs more lime and less Benedictine, but it still probably won't taste like a Ray's Mistake. I am guessing that it uses a syrup that they make themselves, much like Donn Beach used to do.

I tried making one last night. I'm sure its missing something also, but here's what I put in it:
1 1/2 OZ Lemon Juice
1 OZ pineapple juice
3/4 OZ passion fruit syrup
1/2 OZ Benedictine and Brandy
1/2 OZ Gin
2 OZ gold rum (Tiki-Ti usually uses Flor De Cana or Castillo, I used the former)
Slight Dash grenadine
Float Coruba

It tasted like a Tiki Ti drink, but the difference between one and the next over there is so subtle, as noted in tasting the Space Pilot next to the Mistake.

From what I've seen at Tiki Ti, the juices aren't hard to figure out. You can watch 'em actually pour the containers of lime juice into their speed pourers. Lemon and pineapple are pretty obvious, the passion fruit looks orange-red and the grenadine looks dark red. I belive the real magic happens in all those little dropper bottles of bitters/pernod/syrups/what-have-you.

Looking at this list of ingredients, perhpas the mistake was the Anting-Anting confused with a Singapore sling? Take away the rum and passion fruit, that's what you got, more or less depending on what recipe you follow. I use B&B in my slings.

[ This Message was edited by: Registered Astronaut 2007-07-21 12:02 ]

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichaser

Posted: 2008-01-28 12:51 pm   Permalink

I Just visited Tiki-Ti's for the 1st time (from NY) and it was sweet! We sadly don't have anything like this in NY (sans Otto's), and I have to say the drinks were as good as the Mai Kai (until now the only place the drinks were worth making a special trip for).

As for Ray's Mistake, it was the 1st drink I had there, and I immediately tasted the vanilla (without reading an posts on the subject).
I tasted no Coconut, and it was more sweet than tart. So, whatever the "base" ingredients are, vanilla should be on the list, IMHO.

I will try this at home using lime juice, pineapple, grenadine (a touch), passion fruit juice or syrup (since it was sweet, but the juice may suit it better with simple sugar), simple sugar, vanilla extract or vanilla syrup (depending on sweetness), a squeeze of lemon (or a touch of sweet n' sour), white rum, demerara, gin, rum floater, splash soda. I didn't sense any spiciness of pimento liquor or cinammon syrup, but there may be a touch of one or the other...

What do you guys think?

View Profile of tikichaser Send a personal message to tikichaser      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 11:00 pm   Permalink

Vanilla + sweet + botanicals = Licor 43 in my mind. Jeff Berry's a fan of it too.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 12:13 pm   Permalink

Vanilla + sweet + botanicals might be Ti-Toki liquor. Was 43 commercially available when Ray made the mistake?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation