FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Ray's Mistake
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 07:45 am   Permalink

A cola-based syrup wouldn't be unprecedented. At the old Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia, David Chan (former Trader Vic's bartender) used a cola-based syrup in both his Mai Tais and Navy Grogs.

I'm hoping to make a trip to the Tiki-Ti during my visit to L.A. next month. I've never been and I want to try one of these!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 08:20 am   Permalink

The secret is to sneak some of the cocktail out and take it to AbSCIEX, but that would just be cheating. And expensive.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-04 3:22 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...

I've been sitting back and re-reading this post from time to time and it appears everybody agrees that there are the following ingredients in the Ray's Mistake:

White Rum
Gin
Coruba Rum Float
Simple Syrup
Club Soda
Lime Juice
Passion Fruit Juice
Mike Jr. said that there is vanilla flavoring in the drink (Page 3 of this post.)

The only ingredient that wasn't agreed upon is orgeat. And it appears from the latest comments that it's not in the drink either.

And, now, there is a new mystery... Some kind of syrup/juice that is adding a sweetness to the drink that is brown/red in color and turns the drink a dirty, yellow color. And, "they say it's something you would never think of".

So, I was racking my brain for a few days and came up with prune juice? Opinions? Thoughts?

Please let me know...

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-08-18 13:57 ]

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 3:39 pm   Permalink

But why would they have had it on hand to mistakenly pour it?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-04 4:13 pm   Permalink

The prune juice isn't necessarily the "mistake"...

There are a lot of strange syrups/juices/extracts/liquors used in tiki drinks like: maple syrup, fassionola, honey, falernum, cream of coconut, pernod, allspice dram, etc. So, prune juice could have definitely been used in trying to add a dimension to a drink. I've never heard it used but why not?

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corkyjon

Posted: 2013-08-05 09:20 am   Permalink

I don't think a commercial bar with a fixed drink list would stock odd ingredients unless they are in another drink. We need someone who lives near Tiki-Ti to make a couple of these and sneak in some of these trial recipes in small disposable water bottles and taste them on the spot against the real thing.

View Profile of corkyjon Send a personal message to corkyjon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-05 09:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-05 09:20, corkyjon wrote:
...to make a couple of these and sneak in some of these trial recipes in small disposable water bottles and taste them on the spot against the real thing.

Clever! That would be very interesting and it sounds like a reason for a bunch of TC'ers to plan an evening. There would have to be a prize for the recipe deemed closest to the original.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-05 7:16 pm   Permalink

The Ray's Mistake keeps reminding me of a Captain's Grog

(Grog Log/Page 24)

From the Captain's Inn, Long Beach, California, circa 1962. We'll never know if the Captain's Inn was "the Southland's most elegant waterfront restaurant," but it certainly was the largest. The five dining rooms included "exotic dishes from far away places" in the Corinthian Room, entertainment in the Commodore's Lounge, and "quality spirits" upstairs in the Hukilau Polynesian Room.

CAPTAIN'S GROG

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
3/4 oz Myer's Rum
1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
1/2 oz Dark Puerto Rican Rum

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-08-18 14:30 ]

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-05 8:50 pm   Permalink

ANTING ANTING (Maybe?)

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin
float of Coruba Rum

It makes a lot of sense that a version of the Captain's Inn's grog would be poured at the Tiki-Ti since it comes from the right era (1962), right location (25 or so miles away from L.A.) and was from one of the area's most elegant restaurants. It appears that a couple of smart alcohol changes were made in order for it to be re-named. Replacing Dark Puerto Rican Rum with Gin sounds way more refreshing. And substituting Myer's Rum with a Coruba Rum float is a step up from the original recipe as well.

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-08-18 14:50 ]

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-06 12:22 pm   Permalink

RAY'S MISTAKE (Perhaps?)

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin
float Coruba Rum

It appears the Ray's Mistake originated in 1968 when Ray "mistakenly" poured two wrong syrups when making an Anting Anting. I'm guessing that Simple Syrup was grabbed instead of Falernum (Both are clear.) and Passion Fruit Syrup was used instead of Grapefruit. (Both are a cloudy, yellow color.)

Once again, I would love to hear some feedback!

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-08-18 15:05 ]

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-26 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-06 12:22, ickytiki wrote:
RAY'S MISTAKE (Perhaps?)

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin
float Coruba Rum

It appears the Ray's Mistake originated in 1968 when Ray "mistakenly" poured two wrong syrups when making an Anting Anting. I'm guessing that Simple Syrup was grabbed instead of Falernum (Both are clear.) and Passion Fruit Syrup was used instead of Grapefruit. (Both are a cloudy, yellow color.)

Once again, I would love to hear some feedback!

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-08-18 15:05 ]

I've been making this recipe for the past few weeks and the drink is AMAZING! I've substituted the Simple Syrup back to the Falernum though.

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

But it hardly has any booze in it. You could serve that to your kids!

Jeje

Posted: 2013-09-11 08:45 am   Permalink

I made some slight changes to your recipe, as I found it just a tad too sweet.
Basically I increased the gin, vanilla and lime and used orgeat instead of simple syrup+drops of almond extract.

Ray's Mistake (Perhaps?)
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
4 drops Vanilla Extract
3/4 oz Gin
float Coruba Rum (I used 3/4 oz mixed in with the other ingredients)

View Profile of Jeje Send a personal message to Jeje      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-11 5:10 pm   Permalink

Ahoy Jeje...

The RAY'S MISTAKE is often described as sweet. And the drink is not mine in any way , shape or form. I believe the transition listed above shows its true origin. (CAPTAIN'S GROG ---> ANTING ANTING ---> RAY'S MISTAKE) So, actually, most of the credit should go to The Captain's Inn's "CAPTAIN'S GROG" recipe. Nonetheless, I believe this could be it:

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin
float Coruba Rum

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2013-09-11 18:08 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation