FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 10:29 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth: Obviously, the folks in Colorado believe this question answered.

RAY'S MISTAKE (from LA)

1oz lime juice, 1oz passion fruit juice
1oz sweet 'n sour
1 oz rum, 1 oz gin,
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coconut milk, 1 oz guava juice.
Shake vigorously, garnish with pineapple.

As found on the following link: RAY'S MISTAKE (from LA)

http://plazaliquorstore.com/id17.html

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 10:39 pm   Permalink

Maybe the people from Colorado who have never been to Tiki Ti and never had a Ray's Mistake believe that the question is answered, but those of us from LA that have had many Ray's Mistakes know that recipe is NOT the Ray's Mistake from Tiki Ti.

- The Ray's Mistake at Tiki Ti does NOT contain any coconut
- The Ray's Mistake at Tiki To does NOT contain guava
- and despite the rumor, the Ray's Mistake contains rum and does NOT CONTAIN GIN!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-21 22:39, PiPhiRho wrote:
Maybe the people from Colorado who have never been to Tiki Ti and never had a Ray's Mistake believe that the question is answered, but those of us from LA that have had many Ray's Mistakes know that recipe is NOT the Ray's Mistake from Tiki Ti.

- and despite the rumor, the Ray's Mistake contains rum and does NOT CONTAIN GIN!

Do rum and gin even go together???

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-22 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-22 10:24, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Do rum and gin even go together???

Yep, Fog Cutter!!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor Pineapple
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-22 2:06 pm   Permalink

Hiltiki, that sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it!

I've only been to the Ti once, but that flavor does stick with you. I've pondered that a cross between a Spindrift and Puka Punch would get close (or at least be pretty dang tasty!)

View Profile of Professor Pineapple Send a personal message to Professor Pineapple  Goto the website of Professor Pineapple     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

You're probably right - but think about this, what string of coincidences occurred to have the Ray's Mistake become a drink of renown in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. On top of that, someone put together a recipe so that this drink could be replicated by others. Notice from the title that the drink is called Ray's Mistake from LA.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-25 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I agree that the Colorado recipe is way off, but I drink Ray's Mistakes on Wednesdays at the discounted rate. In fact, last week I watched them make 10 of them for me. And yes, it is Barton's Gin all day, with a Coruba Rum float. But I've also seen them use Vodka and/or well rum as the base. Could be that at the five dollar price point, I think they pour off surplus or grab whatever's there.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shirow666

Posted: 2010-07-27 04:34 am   Permalink

I'd really like it if people who have had the drink could describe the taste more. Can you taste passionfruit or does it just taste vanilla? How strong is the drink if you discount the float? I'm guessing they use 2oz alcohol in the drink. I'm pretty convinced the drink is derived from the Singapore Sling, so the ingredients list is probably rather short and simple:

2oz gin
1oz lime juice
1oz passion fruit syrup
.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz Liqor 43
drops of vanilla extract
club soda
float Coruba

I would start using the above as a base when trying to find the correct taste. Hopefully you guys with access to Tiki-Ti can crack it for us.

View Profile of Shirow666 Send a personal message to Shirow666      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GeneriKB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-12 11:36 am   Permalink

Went to LA on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and of course I hit up the Tiki Ti! First drink I had was the Ray's Mistake, all because of this forum

I don't have what you would call a refined palate unfortunately (my allergies ruin my sense of smell/taste), so unfortunately I'm not very good at pinpointing flavors. I will however say that this could very well be a gin drink instead of rum...it didn't have that rum kick as other tiki drinks do.

Now I know what you're saying..."but it's on the rum list part of his menu!" Maybe that's just part of their evil plan to throw us off the trail? Can I take my tinfoil hat off now?

I thought the drink was superb, but what *really* caught my attention was the Space Pilot. They told me what was in it, but unfortunately by that time my brain was so full of rum I forgot what he said LOL. I do remember 151 and Passionfruit, but that's it. Anyone know the recipe for it?

View Profile of GeneriKB Send a personal message to GeneriKB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 9:39 pm   Permalink

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/12/AR2010081202344.html

Okay, so what do these guys in the Washington Post know that we don't.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2010-08-22 21:44 ]

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 9:41 pm   Permalink

From a different tiki bar-- Los Angeles's Tiki-Ti -- comes the wonderfully Polynesian Ray's Mistake. Passion fruit, guava and pineapple juices, coconut milk and dark rum are suitably tropical. The "mistake" -- a shot of gin -- adds depth to the taste.

The above printed incase the link fails to work.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 9:59 pm   Permalink

So does this mean that this "Majestic" serves the same top secret "Ray's Mistake" as Tiki-Ti? Someone's got some s'plainin' to do.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 08:36 am   Permalink

I don't know. The owner makes a big deal about authenticity, especially regarding Don the Beachcomber, but the Zombie he's serving looks to be the Patrick Gavin Duffy version.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-23 08:36, arriano wrote:
I don't know. The owner makes a big deal about authenticity, especially regarding Don the Beachcomber, but the Zombie he's serving looks to be the Patrick Gavin Duffy version.

Excellent point, Arriano! Beachbum Berry somewhat makes the point - and Trader Vic absolutely emphatically states, that when you keep a recipe a secret, others are free to interpret it and decide what the "official" recipe is. So far, it looks like the "LA's Ray's Mistake" recipe published by the Pagosaa Springs, Colorado booze store is the same one being used by this restaurant on the East Coast.

It also means that the Ray's Mistake is taking on a life of its own. I wouldn't be surprised to see it start appearing at Bars across the USA. And as the Trader warned, the reinterpretations will be sweet syrupy drinks that make everyone gag. When the Washington Post publishes the ingredients for Ray's Mistake, the drink is about to "Jump the Shark".

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-04 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-30 12:13, Bargoyle wrote:
Vanilla + sweet + botanicals might be Ti-Toki liquor. Was 43 commercially available when Ray made the mistake?

According to the Licor 43 website, it was the top seller in Spain in 1950, so it's got a long history.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation