FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 08:12 am   Permalink

if they use Finest Call orgeat, then they definitely wouldn't need to add any simple syrup.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 09:48 am   Permalink

djmont

No it is not a big drink, just served in a tall collins glass and it even includes a splash of club soda to lengthen it out a bit. Also to be taken into consideration is the fact that it is the cheapest drink on the menu for Wednesdays when it is on special, so that means it can't been to expensive to make.

porpoise

my thoughts are that if they are using finest call ingredients they are being cut with water to reduces viscosity, sweetness, and to lengthen the use of the product, which makes sense.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-24 5:00 pm   Permalink

Okay... Okay... I just made the following recipe and it's pretty darn good. But it's not the right color and it's missing something:

1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton’s Gin
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Orgeat (with drops of almond extract in the recipe)
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz Club Soda
And a Float of Coruba Rum

It turned out a "Tang" orange color. So I adjusted the recipe:

1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux (Almond) Hiram Walker
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Orgeat (No drops of almond extract)
1 oz Club Soda

Man, oh man! Yummy!!!

It looks the right color too... Somebody, please try this out and give me some feedback.

~ickytiki

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-24 10:34 pm   Permalink

sounds like a good tiki drink, but from further research, I have deduced that the drink is simply
1 ounce lime juice
1 ounce passion syrup
1ounce simple syrup
1 generous ounce of gin
splash club soda
shake, pour, top with coruba

The white syrup that we all thought was orgeat or creme de noyaux is just plain simple syrup. Follow the simple syrup bottle with your eyes at the tiki ti and will see it can't be orgeat or Creme De Noyaux because they use it in drinks that call for neither of those things.

I encourage further research but for me at least the case is closed. I've watched too many of them get made at this point.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 07:13 am   Permalink

egads, it's a gin rickey with a rum float!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 08:14 am   Permalink

ha!

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-25 08:26 am   Permalink

I think you are correct, Registered Astronaut…

After making my drinks last night, I don’t think there is orgeat in this drink either. And I believe it’s a pretty simple drink as well. However, I still believe that Crème de Noyaux is in the drink. It explains the almond flavoring most people experience and makes the drink the correct color too. Crème de Noyaux is bright red and would explain why some people’s drink are redder than others. If too much was poured, it would take over the color of the drink in a heart beat. Plus Tiki-Ti uses an almond flavoring in other drinks like the Pearl Diver and I have no doubt it’s Crème de Noyaux.

I think the Passion Fruit Syrup and Crème de Noyaux are simply mixed together in one bottle. It explains Rawim’s observation of a red/brownish liquid being poured. I think the white rum and gin are mixed together in one bottle as well. And Rawim’s account for a yellow/creamish liquid is probably just lime juice.

So, I’m going with:

1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux (Almond) Hiram Walker
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz Club Soda

The only question left for me is: Is there a vanilla note in the drink? If that’s the case, the simple syrup pour would simply be replaced with a vanilla syrup pour.

~ickytiki

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 1:22 pm   Permalink

ickytiki

The recipe you have come up with is scary close to my working recipe (Which I have been tinkering with for the last 6 months) It is away at home, but I put it up tonight so we can compare notes.

I think there is a vanilla note. But I think that is easily fixed with just a few drops of vanilla extract, which can easily be added to any syrups used. I do have the same color issue as you have with the color. the hiram walker creme de almond really throws things off color wise.

I noticed behind the bar Saturday the bottle of creme de noyaux was Bols which is still that bright red color. I can only then wonder if some amaretto is maybe used. in one of the mixes. because there is clearly an almond essence in the drink. orgeat/ creme de noyaux / amaretto....not sure, i figure they would go with whatever is cheapest which leads me to think commercial orgeat.

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-25 8:55 pm   Permalink

~Rawim

My last Ray's Mistake recipe above is a GREAT color. After making it, I compared it to the drink pictured on Tiki-Ti's web site. It looked the same to me... Plus it adds the almond flavor that's needed for the drink. I think it's dead on, man. I strongly think Creme de Noyaux is the answer and 1/2 an ounce worked perfectly... A nice orange-ish red, brown color was achieved.

I believe the above recipe's ingredients are close too. Maybe a minor tweak on amounts. I think that you could either use a vanilla syrup instead of simple syrup or simply add two or three drops of vanilla extract to add the missing vanilla flavor to the recipe.

All I know is the above recipe tastes GREAT!!! I made it for a small group and they all loved it.

I'll add a vanilla flavor next time for sure though. Hopefully this can help others that are not in the LA area at least experience something that is similiar to the wonderful concoction!

~ickytiki

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 05:41 am   Permalink

That's gonna be a big ass drink. Sign me up!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-26 05:55 am   Permalink

I should preface this post by saying that I've been to the Tiki Ti exactly once, last summer when I was in LA visiting family. So I'm not the expert on the place or the drinks that some of you obviously are. I had a couple of Ray's Mistakes while I was there, though, and they made enough of an impression on me that I don't feel completely out of line adding a couple of observations to this thread.

I made ickytiki's recipe last night and it tastes very similar to what I remember RM tasting like; the color is also very close.

That said, it strikes me as being too sweet. I used a homemade passion fruit syrup (equal parts Goya pulp and simple syrup) instead of Finest Call, so that might be an issue, but I found it cloyingly sweet--unbalanced in a way that I don't remember RM being. Considering the amount of passion fruit syrup and creme de noyeux in the drink, I'd dial the simple syrup back to 1/2 oz. at least.

With regards to the question of the vanilla note, I think subbing in vanilla syrup for the simple would be a mistake. The commercial brands of vanilla syrup I've tried (Fees, etc.) would completely take over the drink at 1 oz, or even a half ounce. A few drops of vanilla extract makes more sense. Or, here's another thought: what about using rock candy syrup in place of the simple? The Fees brand has a subtle vanilla note that might do the trick (you'll definitely want to cut back on the amount, though, since it's a rich simple syrup).

Just my 2 cents.

And a question: I can't remember from my visit, but I noticed from the pics online that the Coruba float seems to be more incorporated in the final drink than floats usually are. It's obviously not carefully layered on top. It must be a "rough" pour in--or do they give it a quick stir with the straw to mix it in? And a question about ice. It's served with crushed ice, but do they shake with cubes and strain it over fresh ice or shake with crushed and pour unstrained into the glass? Just curious. Thinking about dilution and the impact it might have on the flavors of the finished drink.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 05:31 am   Permalink

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but was Ray trying to make, when the Ray's Mistake occurred?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 09:06 am   Permalink

I believe the story is Ray was trying to make an Anting Anting when he used the wrong syrups.

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-04-27 09:15 am   Permalink

Here's a picture, just so you know what the goal is.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 7:20 pm   Permalink

Great thread! I agree, the recipe icky tiki posted sounds a little sweet, bit it is REALLY CLOSE. I just made me with 3/4 oz. passion fruit syrup and 3/4 oz. sugar syrup and it was pretty damn good. Best of all, I now have a means of using up my Creme de Noyaux. Excellent work, gentlemen!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation