FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Ray's Mistake
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 12:27 pm   Permalink

Ahoy kkocka!

Thank you for your comments...

This post was started in 2005 and is still going strong with the help of the Tiki Central Ohana.

I also have been contributing to it for the past three years and love all the positive participation it receives. I believe the input that all the users have made in the past have led us all in the right direction.

In general, most people read the last page of threads and that's why the recipe has been posted at the end. (So, others can locate the current version without digging through all the pages.)

You obviously believe the recipe is just a close approximation. We would all love to hear your version's measurements and ingredients and how you came to your conclusion.

Please share!

Here is what we originally started with:

RAY'S MISTAKE (from LA)

1oz lime juice,
1oz passion fruit juice
1oz sweet 'n sour
1 oz rum,
1 oz gin,
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coconut milk
1 oz guava juice

Shake vigorously, garnish with pineapple.

Looking forward to your recipe and contributions!

~icky

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-19 23:27, ickytiki wrote:
RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
1/2 oz Barton's Gin
3/4 oz Coruba Dark Rum (Floated)

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

Cheers!

~icky

Excellent drink! I think you are very much on the right track. I made it with Plymouth gin, 1/4 oz grade B maple syrup, and Monin Passion Fruit Syrup. Well balanced drink! Will be making more of these! Keep up the excellent work!

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:30 pm   Permalink

Ahoy TikiSan!

Thanks for your positive comments and input...

I've always made this recipe with Grade "A" Maple Syrup. It's just what my wife buys and I have never thought of using Grade "B" Syrup because... Well, it's not in my pantry. (haha!) I really didn't know that there was that much of a difference until doing some research a week or so ago. So, my wife and I had friends over a few days ago and we mixed the recipe using Grade "B" to see what it tasted like.

Well, it surprising makes a huge, huge difference! More than I would have ever guessed. It never really came up until recently on this post. But, I highly recommend using Grade "A" Maple Syrup... Grade "B" Maple Syrup is just too strong and dominates all the other flavors.

So, here is the latest version... Cheers!

~icky

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Grade "A" Maple Syrup (Grade "B" is too strong)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
1/2 oz Barton's Gin
3/4 oz Coruba Dark Rum (Floated)

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2015-01-27 23:56 ]

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-27 23:30, ickytiki wrote:
I really didn't know that there was that much of a difference until doing some research a week or so ago. So, my wife and I had friends over a few days ago and we mixed the recipe using Grade "B" to see what it tasted like.

Well, it surprising makes a huge, huge difference! More than I would have ever guessed. It never really came up until recently on this post. But, I highly recommend using Grade "A" Maple Syrup... Grade "B" Maple Syrup is just too strong and dominates all the other flavors.

What, you didn't believe my earlier post when I said that 1/2 oz Grade "B" syrup made the whole drink taste like pancakes?

Quote:

On 2015-01-27 16:45, TikiSan wrote:
Excellent drink! I think you are very much on the right track. I made it with Plymouth gin, 1/4 oz grade B maple syrup, and Monin Passion Fruit Syrup. Well balanced drink! Will be making more of these! Keep up the excellent work!

I'm going to make another one with 1/4 oz Grade A and see how that comes out...I have a feeling much better than 1/2 oz Grade A.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 2:08 pm   Permalink

Ahoy kkocka!

I do believe you... I just needed to see how bad your version was.

Yep... You're correct; it was terrible!

Like I said earlier, I had been using Grade "A" Maple Syrup and I had no idea that changing it to Grade "B" would have such an awful impact. So, thanks for clearing it up.

Do you have any other substitution recommendations to ruin this drink page? (This could be endless...)

I'm shocked that you even keep making another one. You don't seem happy with it and by your own admission you think this recipe is just, "a close approximation."

So, please share your recipe...

Here, I started it for you:

KOCK'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Grade "B" Maple Syrup (or 1/4 oz Grade "A" Maple Syrup... Because he has a feeling that it's much better than 1/2 oz Grade A.")

It's a rather "small" drink but it makes him happy!!!

Haha! I'm simply going to have to pass on your version so far, brother. Thanks for your contribution though. Your comments make for a good laugh.

Cheers!

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2015-01-28 16:15 ]

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 4:18 pm   Permalink

Why would I use 1/2 oz Grade B when I've largely written about how awful that drink version was?

I'd simply use 1/4 oz Grade A instead of 1/2 oz Grade A. I've not really knocked your attempt other than stating its not THE Mistake you'll get when you order at Tiki Ti. I think that much is obvious by anybody reading this thread or trying the drinks. I do think its on the right path however and "a close approximation" I believe is an accurate review, unless it's THE recipe and you're just trying to hold out on us by acting modest. I've never said I have my own recipe either. Please don't come off so butthurt when that's not my intention.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 6:49 pm   Permalink

There is absolutely no Maple syrup or Maple flavoring in this drink, none, zero, zilch.....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 7:07 pm   Permalink

I recently made this recipe, and it was tasty enough, but pretty unremarkable I thought. By all accounts, the Ray's is one of the most beloved Tiki drinks out there... Does it really taste like this? What are the opinions of those who've recently had the real thing?

This is just my opinion, btw. Not to downplay yr hard work, Icky. Nothing better than trying to crack the recipe of a great drink!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-28 18:49, hiltiki wrote:
There is absolutely no Maple syrup or Maple flavoring in this drink, none, zero, zilch.....

so you're saying the recipe above is Icky's Mistake?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 8:53 pm   Permalink

Ahoy!

Well... shucks.

I'll gladly put my name on this drink if nobody wants to claim it. Heck, I've been working on it forever. But, if my name's going to be on it, I might as share my personal recipe.

Ladies and gentlemen... For your drinking pleasure!

THE ICKY MISTAKE

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
3/4 oz Monin's Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Grade "A" Maple Syrup Only
1/2 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Senior's Orange Curacao
2 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz El Dorado 5 Year Demerara Rum
1/2 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Coruba Dark Rum (Floated)

Blend the above ingredients (Except the dark rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the black strap. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

Cheers!

~icky

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2015-01-28 22:10 ]

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-28 19:07, happy buddha wrote:
What are the opinions of those who've recently had the real thing?

It's the first drink I order when I walk in, then I contemplate what the second will be. So it's a favorite of mine.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-28 18:49, hiltiki wrote:

Careful what you say here, you'll get speared. That being said, I think I am going to go on a Wednesday in the near future when they offer $6 Mistakes until 9pm. Great drink, again probably not my favorite, but you can't beat $6!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation