FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
Ray's Mistake
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-13 09:15 am   Permalink

iirc there was a decidedly different version posted way back when by Registered Astronaut that was a very tasty cocktail.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-13 10:14 am   Permalink

I'm tempted to stop by the Ti again today since I'm out early from work, just to try more Mistakes, but I think it'll be off to Tonga Hut instead.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-13 10:35 am   Permalink

So, Keith, how many "mistakes" does it take before it's really not a "mistake" anymore? Heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnyvelvet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-18 07:20 am   Permalink

Tried Icky's latest Mistake recipe last night and followed it to the letter. A bit sweeter than I anticipated, though pleasant. Not sure I'd make it again - my favorite is still the Tropical Itch. Maybe one day I'll make it to the Tiki Ti for a real one.

View Profile of johnnyvelvet Send a personal message to johnnyvelvet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-06 2:04 pm   Permalink

Anyone else pick up the latest issue of Imbibe and get super excited followed by crushing disappointment? It's the LA Issue and there's a short write up on classic LA cocktails featuring, among others, a little drink known as the Ray's Mistake. When I saw the words "Head to imbibemagazine.com for the recipes" I almost lost my shit! Unfortunately, they appear to have recipes for everything BUT Ray's Mistake! I'm a little choked that they would feature it without divulging the recipe, but, oh well... Thought it was too good to be true, anyway. Still a good issue. There's a page on the Zombie and a few nods to Beachbum and the Tonga Hut as well as a nice little page on the Tiki Ti at the back!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-02 7:26 pm   Permalink

I found this recipe on Orgeatworks.com
Might be fun to try. Sounds pretty close.

King's Ransom - A modern riff on the Tiki Ti's Ray's Mistake

¾ oz. Planation Barbados 5 yr rum
¾ oz. Beefeater Gin
1 oz. Myers's Dark Rum
¾ oz. lime juice
¾ oz. orange juice
½ oz. T'Orgeat
1/2 oz. Licor 43
½ oz. passion fruit nectar
2 dashes Bittermens Elemakule bitters
Shake with 3 cubes and strain over crushed ice in a tall glass
Garnish with a lime peel
Origin: Garret Richards

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeje

Posted: 9 days ago; 08:09 am   Permalink

Since maple syrup has been discussed a lot in this thread I thought I perhaps could ask you guys if the brands I have found where I live (in Sweden) are OK to use? I can´t tell if they are Grade A or B? How do you? The brands I have seen in the shelves are: Maple Joe and Camp.
Thanks!

View Profile of Jeje Send a personal message to Jeje      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-05-15 08:09, Jeje wrote:
Maple Joe and Camp.

I found this re: Camp -
http://www.citadelle-camp.coop/maple-syrup/Retail-Market/presentation/products/CAMP/28/Pure-Maple-Syrup.aspx It seems that there are varities you can buy, so I would simply click and check whether you're buying Grade A or Grade B.

I think typically if your syrup is Grade A then it will be marked on the label somewhere.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichaser

Posted: 9 days ago; 12:24 pm   Permalink

I could be off, but I seem to remember Ray's Mistake being reddish, and I don't see any of the ingredients in the recent posts accounting for this? Is it possible there is Fassionola or grenadine? I also remember it being like a sweet-tart (the lime/passion combo), with a hint of vanilla - so Liquor 43 as in some of the other posts may be right. I thought there was some thick ingredient poured in, and this might be a fassionola-type syrup? Fassionola was a fruit punch-tasting syrup (the modern version I bought doesn't really have much flavor, just sweet and very red). At one point I fiddled with making a sweet-tart tasting syrup out of 50% lemonade powder and 50% fruit punch powder (I know cheap, but I had them in the cabinet). Just a little of this syrup in the drink actually gave it that sweet-tart quality, almost like an alcoholic pixie stick and on the sweeter side. My drink was lime, this cheap syrup (which could be made with "real" ingredients instead), dark rum, light rum, gin, passion fruit syrup, vanilla extract (since Liquor 43 would make it too sweet)... It was the closest thing I can remember to a Ray's mistake in my mind, though the ingredients may be way off. But honestly, I think anyone's guess is a good as mine, as it's all just guesswork anyway...

View Profile of tikichaser Send a personal message to tikichaser      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation