FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Ray's Mistake
PalmtreePat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-06 11:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-06 10:03, corkyjon wrote:
Why is everyone putting gin in Ray's Mistake when the menu places it in rum drinks and not mixed liquor drinks? And I tasted no gin in it last night.

I try to watch Mike carefully when he's putting one together, and I can definitely confirm that there's gin (Barton's) going into it, along with gold rum (also Barton's) in addition to that hefty float of Coruba.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-06 1:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Why is everyone putting gin in Ray's Mistake when the menu places it in rum drinks and not mixed liquor drinks? And I tasted no gin in it last night.

As with the above, I can also confirm. When Tiki Koro and I last hit up Tiki Ti, we both noticed there were some drinks advertised with multiple spirits but for whatever reason were listed under rum specifically. Maybe it's inconsistency, maybe it's because the drink is particularly rum-forward or rum-heavy?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-06 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-06 13:22, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

As with the above, I can also confirm. When Tiki Koro and I last hit up Tiki Ti, we both noticed there were some drinks advertised with multiple spirits but for whatever reason were listed under rum specifically. Maybe it's inconsistency, maybe it's because the drink is particularly rum-forward or rum-heavy?

That's probably it. Regardless of what our tribute recipes may say, there's no constraint on the coruba float other than the space left in the glass after it's been blended. They just up end that bottle and keep pouring until they run out of space, so it ends up having a really strong dark rum note in it.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-08 10:17 am   Permalink

I had a very surprising experience with Barton's last night. A family member came over, I offered him a drink, and he wanted gin, lime, and soda on ice. I asked what kind of gin, and showed him a decent selection of 7 or 8 good high-end gins. He declined the high end stuff and wanted the cheapest I had - "id doesn't matter." I went to the very back of the gins and pulled out my Barton's. I was very honest and told him it was the lowest-end gin I had, strictly bottom-shelf at Wal-Mart's liquor store and only like $12 or $13 for a 1.75l jug. He still told me that's perfect. So I actually served Barton's that evening to a real human being. And he enjoyed it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-08 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-08 10:17, AceExplorer wrote:

I had a very surprising experience with Barton's last night. A family member came over, I offered him a drink, and he wanted gin, lime, and soda on ice. I asked what kind of gin, and showed him a decent selection of 7 or 8 good high-end gins. He declined the high end stuff and wanted the cheapest I had - "id doesn't matter." I went to the very back of the gins and pulled out my Barton's. I was very honest and told him it was the lowest-end gin I had, strictly bottom-shelf at Wal-Mart's liquor store and only like $12 or $13 for a 1.75l jug. He still told me that's perfect. So I actually served Barton's that evening to a real human being. And he enjoyed it.

I've never actually seen a Barton product outside the walls of the Tiki Ti. Even Hi Times doesn't seem to carry it. They must be buying it direct.

Freeland
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-09-09 7:45 pm   Permalink

Finding Barton's here in Austin was like finding hens teeth. Tried Icky's Mistake and look forward to having many more til I get back to the Tiki Ti to better contribute anything I may feel of any consequence.

Love this thread...

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation