FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » 1972 Oceanic Arts Polynesian Lighting Catalog
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
1972 Oceanic Arts Polynesian Lighting Catalog
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-28 6:31 pm   Permalink

Merry belated Christmas, TC. I present the 1972 Oceanic Arts Polynesian Lighting Catalog. My thanks to Bob at OA for the souvenir of a fun visit and the permission to post it.
I hope some of you follow up with other OA catalogs or pictures of lamps that match the catalog; some of the recent purchases from the Kahiki are probably in here.
The inside back cover list, "Oceanic Arts decor and lights have been used in...", evokes a certain longing in those of us for whom it is largely a roll call of places we never saw.
OA tells me they may have used this catalog for several years and still offer lamps seen in it. Sorry about the huge jpegs, but the small print had to be legible.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalikiana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-28 7:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing that...that is too cool! Makin' me drool!
Cheers, Kris

View Profile of Kalikiana Send a personal message to Kalikiana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mashuka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-28 8:31 pm   Permalink

I got this one! For $10 bucks. It's missing its lid though. Currently being used as a table.

View Profile of Mashuka Send a personal message to Mashuka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-28 8:35 pm   Permalink

oooaaaaaaaaaaaoooooo!!!!! Tomorrow IŽll be building a basket light!!!!
Super cool post!!

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mashuka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-28 8:48 pm   Permalink

I also got this one from the same place as the other one. Have no idea where either came from.

View Profile of Mashuka Send a personal message to Mashuka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 05:24 am   Permalink

These are all beautiful pieces of art. Thanx for posting these pix.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 06:56 am   Permalink

Woaw, really great. Thanks a lot.
Great to have the restaurants list as well (they used to say Don the BeachcomberS ?)

Lots of cool idea for the creating tiki fellow...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 07:23 am   Permalink

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 09:31 am   Permalink

WOW!!! thank you *so* much for sharing that. what a treat!

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 09:37 am   Permalink

I will try and show the lights I think are oceanic arts. If anyone has more information on these lights let me know. Purchased at kahiki outlet store 11-5-05.

This lamp is 12 inches tall by 14 inches wide. The top is plywood. It has Lt brown paper inside.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 11:11 am   Permalink

Ok these are not the best photos, But they do show a pair of the above light in the kahiki. These lights do not have the paper in them like the above light. I took the photo from a video I made of the last night of the kahiki party.

Will post more later.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 10:08 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip, thanks for posting the video captures. You know, considering what a celebrated place the Kahiki was, there are remarkably few pics of it online or in books.
I always hope somebody posts pics of places, living or defunct, that are more or less like an insurance inventory or the pics a model maker would need to re-create a place: lots of detail of lamps, wall hangings, tikis and other carvings, along with general shots of rooms, showing their relationship to each other...sort of a pan-tiki documentary project, I suppose.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 06:52 am   Permalink

I have always wondered...

getting the pufferfish into the glass float is one thing, but after you got it home, how did one change the bulb???

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 07:17 am   Permalink

That's exactly why I took the video. Many months before the kahiki closed I took lots of video, And I took allot of the last night party. It's great to have now, because I can go through and see some of the stuff I purchased. Thank you for posting the catalog. Really great reference!

isotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-02 4:55 pm   Permalink

Thank you for sharing. I have a three year old catalog from OA and many of these lamps are not listed.

View Profile of isotiki Send a personal message to isotiki  Email isotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation