FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Don The Beachcomber, Kona, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Don The Beachcomber, Kona, HI (restaurant)
dustball62

Posted: 2008-06-23 9:38 pm   Permalink

I'm a long time lurker. I have to comment on the prices at DTB. IF I recall they have a nightly specials and IF you order the specials the prices aren't so bad. Otherwise this place is one of the nicest ambiance's around.

View Profile of dustball62 Send a personal message to dustball62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-09 10:00 pm   Permalink

Hey,

I hard through the ggrapevine that the 2 Don the Beachcombers in Hawaii closed...Anyone here can confirm or deny this? That would be a real shame.

QuinceatDanny's....GREAT PIX !!!!

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 09:28 am   Permalink

The Royal Kona still lists Don the Beachcomber and Don't Mai Tai Bar on its web site:

http://www.hawaiihotels.com/Main/Sub.cfm?ID=200

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:16 am   Permalink

I will be staying at the Royal Kona Resort in a couple weeks. After reading the postings here, I called the hotel directly and asked about Don the Beachcomber restaurant closing. I was assured the restaurant is only closed on Monday and Tuesdays evenings, but is open the rest of the week. IT IS OPEN AND WILL REMAIN OPEN.

Rumors, rumors, rumors....

Keep the positive energy flowing!

Aloha,
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-13 1:39 pm   Permalink

~Rumor alert~

Don the Beachcombers is open.
Not closed.

I was at Don the Beachcombers this morning. Sunday July 13th. It's not closed. Was open and serving their breakfast buffet, (with the big eel in the tank eye balling all the tourists.)

Don's Mai Tai bar, which is next to the Don's the Beachcomber restaurant, is also open. Both are part of the lobby of the Royal Kona Hotel - which still has it's funky 60's/Hawaiiana decor and vibe. The hotel is sporting it's new slate floor they put in last fall.

It's still the best tiki themed place to drink and watch sunsets here in Kailua-Kona.

There are plans to open a Tiki themed gift shop across from the Mai Tai bar. But, it's got a few months to go before it opens it's doors.

What DID close a few doors down is the Hard Rock Cafe. It was in another building on the bay front near the hotel.
Also what closed was the Sea Monkey bar, but that was no where near the Beachcomber in the Royal Kona, and was in a mini mall quite a ways off. It's one "tiki" like feature, was two tiki planters sitting out side the main door. The place is closed, but the planters are still there.

Aloha from Kona~

www.tikishark.com
www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-07-13 13:42 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 2:00 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for that clarification, TS! Phew... I was kinda sweating bullets there for awhile. Having a first hand account is always best!!

One week from today I set my feet on the Big Island, once again! Yeehaw! If you gotta go on a business trip, the Islands are the best destination.

Aloha,
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Angry Idol
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

Very glad to hear there's a Don the B's still open, especially in HI. Not to nitpick, but shouldn't a Don's have a Zombie bar, not a Mai Tai bar? I wonder if Trader Vic's is getting a royalty.
I guess it's only fair, considering there wouldn't be a Trader Vic, if there was never a Don the Beachcomber.

View Profile of Angry Idol Send a personal message to Angry Idol  Email Angry Idol     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-13 5:39 pm   Permalink

(Sigh's of Relief) Thanx for the info.

Don The Beachcomber are and the Royal Kona both awesome. I STILL want the Tikiyaki orchestra to play at the Mai Tai bar during sunset. One day.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-06 10:42, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Kailua-Kona, Big Island, Hawaii~

. . .
Anyways, as we were walking through the lobby I heard cool "tiki bar" music. I was delighted to find the Mai Tai bar open, with the floor almost finished, and live music! A classy looking guy playing a Vibraphone! Very Tiki!

I was there on New Year's Eve 2006 and I saw a very distinguished gentleman - easily in his 70s - playing the Vibraphones while wearing a Tuxedo.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HinaHinawahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-14 11:29 am   Permalink

That gentleman's name is Lenny and I am trying to remember his last name. Great musician in Hawai'i for many years. He recently passed away. A great loss in the music world.

View Profile of HinaHinawahine Send a personal message to HinaHinawahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 12:29 pm   Permalink

Man, what a bummer...I saw him playing the last time i was there...in August I think.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 4:54 pm   Permalink

I know! That was the perfect soundtrack to an evening on their terrace there, cocktail in hand, looking out at the ocean,...sigh, nothing lasts.
Jim, now you gotta go and replace him!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 7:39 pm   Permalink

Oh no, Lenny passed away? He was a real treat. He was usually there on Sundays.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-24 08:26 am   Permalink

Just back from 5 weeks on the Big Island. We went to Don's twice -- first time, service was okay, but mai tais seemed watered down. Second time, waited and waited and waited... finally gave up and walked back to Kona Canoe Club where we were promptly served tasty mai tais that had a kick (not to mention the best cajun ahi ever).

View Profile of TikiKini Send a personal message to TikiKini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-27 1:48 pm   Permalink

Still there...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation