FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-17 7:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-15 14:37, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
SuperJumbo HIP tiki donated from the HOKU collection

Wow, that's HIP? I don't think I've seen that one. I would've guessed CocoJoe since the shape is so close to a big one of theirs, but actually now that you mention it, the mouth and tongue are kinda HIP style.

Yes, I am a nerd.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondoggie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-24 07:59 am   Permalink

I'd like to know more about this young lass I found today - particularly her age if possible.
I didn't come across her on the other pages so any info will be helpful (also posted her today in Tiki finds) - thanks.

View Profile of moondoggie Send a personal message to moondoggie  Goto the website of moondoggie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 10:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-24 07:59, moondoggie wrote:
I'd like to know more about this young lass I found today - particularly her age if possible.

I used to have a huge archive of pictures cocojoes pieces, including tags, marks,etc, and they were all arranged by catalog number. I lost it all when my computer crashed a while ago, but i do reall that there was at least 1, or maybe even two pieces with the HW 2 catalog number that were older than that one. I'll call that one an "early piece from the middle era of Cocojoes production .

And while I'm here, another update of new pieces recently added to the collection:

CCJ's Alii Gold Aloha Beauty

Coco joes and a Polyart lighter

Cocojoes Strong god pendant

Unmkarked tiki and Guam ashtray

I picked up a lot of old "made in Hawaii" sand and stone resin composites:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 10:07 am   Permalink

I think we are going to have to start calling you Coco Joe's Buzzy from now on.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 05:25 am   Permalink

Found a Coco Joe's jelly canoe. I don't have the little jelly jars, but S&P shakers form Kon Tiki Ports look kinda happy in the boat.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-01 12:42 am   Permalink

At the risk of cross-posting, I thought I'd just add in this thread that I posted some screen captures of this Coco Joes tiki and his starring role in a couple episodes of Hawaii Five-O, over in another thread.

Tiki on the left.

From the episode "Is This Any Way To Run A Paradise?"

From the episode "Percentage"

More pics over on that other thread, including a neato little animation of McGarrett swinging a "war club" with this tiki on the end.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-01 02:52 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing Randy! Too cool.

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 2:48 pm   Permalink

Found this great little letter opener this weekend. 6 1/2" long with the original price tag of one dollar on the back.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 8:18 pm   Permalink

Cool post Randy! It's neat to see Coco Joe's on the screen. Here's a post Mr Noname did with a CocoJoe's in it:
Quote:

On 2009-02-27 15:18, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Necessary Roughness with Scott Bakula.

And while I'm here, I'll update the master list by crossing off these new additions:

2 HIPs, 1 coco joes, amd a Guam

Coco Joes

heads

HIPs

Polyart

Guams

Polystone and Pied Piper:

Only a few more on Da List now!
Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-08-29 23:41 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:16 am   Permalink

Wow, Buzzy, what's up with that Hippy Tiki with the red glasses!? That's so bad it's good! Never seen this weird specimen before, does it have a name/date/ description left on it?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 10:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, Buzzy, what's up with that Hippy Tiki with the red glasses!? That's so bad it's good! Never seen this weird specimen before, does it have a name/date/ description left on it?

BiBro: Nope, no tag or date. I would guess during Vietnam War era... HIP had a couple anti war/hippie pieces too. Probably CocoJoe's attempt at that market:

Gotta love the hair!

And some more new ones I just got or ones that I forgot to add to the last post:
Coco Joe's

HIP-donated by HOKU

Polystone:

New Zealand Maori resin wahine:

Shown with the male I already had:

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-09-07 11:45 ]

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 4:30 pm   Permalink

Found this Coco Joe's last week. Took me a while to figure out something was different about it. it has a copyright date of '90 and the usual Coco Joe's label and markings, but it's really heavy and seems to be made of some lighter-colored plaster/resin material. Did Coco Joe's switch materials later in manufacturing or is this a "fake"?

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 5:48 pm   Permalink

I've seen that variation before, but i think the one I saw was painted with some color...

The eyes on the Ku and his weapon are noticeably different than on the more common ones.

Most of the following is a rambling guess, and should be considered opinion, rather than fact:

If you look at the other common black version, you'll notice that it looks like it was carved as a hapawood piece with the wood grain in it. CCJ's did that with a lot of their pieces: Black wood and brown lava. That one looks like it was originally carved as a lava piece without the wood grain. I've noticed that with some pieces, they slightly changed a feature or two on a subsequent recarved version. On some, it looks like they corrected a part of the sculpt because it was causing problems when it was cast from the mold.

I think that during the 30+ years of CocoJoes they tried every type of resin available. Usually, the older pieces were heavier and more dense. It seems that some of the newer pieces are the ones that are more prone to bending and are lighter in composition. Those newer ones also look like they were cast in white, and then painted or dipped in something to give them the color. when those crack, they expose a white core. The older pieces were black/brown throughout.

The '90 copyright can tell you the piece you have is made after 1990, but doesn't necessarily mean that the sculpt is from 1990. There were several older pieces that had no copyright date on them, but then on later productions of the piece the copyright was added.

Buzzy Out!

LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 10:00 am   Permalink

I recently picked up this Cocojoe Wahine in a gift shop on Oahu. It is made of simulated lava. When did they start producing these?

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-15 10:00, LiddleLola wrote:
When did they start producing these?

Probably made last week or the week before.

I'll let Freddie give you some more information about the newer ones:
Quote:

On 2005-12-30 02:13, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
I ran into the owner of a trophy shop who buys new versions of Coco Joe's and HIP items to put on his trophies. He said that a guy in Sand Island (near La Mariana) makes these. I've bought a couple of tikis at the swap meet with HIP markings, but with CoCo Joe's paper labels. Some of the supposed hapawood items look like white plaster stained brown, kinda of crummy looking...the newer ones are also lighter in weight, not really lava like anymore. hoku

thanks Freddie! You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the new ones, would you?

Quote:

On 2008-03-03 03:21, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
The new generation of CCJ is cast with white/light resin and stained with a different color. It looks like they are slowly adding more new knockoffs and I thought they started reproducing the large King Kamehameha with your post. Thank goodness yours looks vintage.

Here is a sample of the new generation that is available at the Stadium FleaMarket.

In case you want to compare quality , the stall is on the outside row in 14-D.

Wow Freddie! you're amazing!

thanks for all the help and have a Happy Birthday!
Buzzy Out!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation