FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 03:23 am   Permalink

Aloha Buzzy! Nice looking pendants...I've never seen the bent one (tiki) before The closest one is this one...Unmarked of course

A few more, older CCJ pieces to set the hook deep , Sorry "B"

I left these in as found condition. Looking forward to the
"Back Surgery" also...Mahalo, Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-02-02 10:53 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-28 03:23, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Aloha Buzzy! Looking forward to the
"Back Surgery" also...Mahalo, Freddie

The subject is a male Lono figure(COCOJOES HW26-017 c.91), 8.75 inches in height, born on Jul 06 of some year during Cocojoe's years of operation. He came to the Buzzy Back Fixin' Kitchen Clinic due to a disfigurement of his lower back.
The initial examination by Buzzy showed a displacement of approx 3" from true square:

Buzzy advised the patient of his options: the boiling pan of water or the oven, and due to the tag on his back, he chose the oven.
The oven was preheated to 220f.
The volunteer sat in the 220 degree heat for 10 minutes, where the heat was then raised to 230 for 10 more minutes.

It was observed that the tiki was slightly pliable at this point. He was returned to the oven for an additional 4 minutes
After the additional time, he was placed on his back with a heavy pyrex tray to keephim straight while cooling

After a substantial cooling off period, the tiki was again measured to see the progress:

About a half inch off. Good progress for one attempt.

Published Findings: This method was easy, and it worked very well. Two and a half inches of bend were corrected. There was no cracking or deterioration of the piece during this process. The tag was left on and remains in preprocedure condition. I would recommend this method, but take no responsibility for you forgetting your tiki in the oven.

My one concern would be cracking a black one if I tried it...

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 03:51 am   Permalink

Aloha Dr. Buzzy! If you want him even straighter, you could put a little flat spacer(1/8-3/16) under the base of the Tiki,or wherever the bend starts,during the cooling phase, with Pyrex weight in place. It should be a little past level before it cools to compensate wanting to bend back again...Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 4:51 pm   Permalink

Nice bit of back surgery there! So, how's the pyrex weight work? The tiki looks face down with the dish on his back (makes sense). If he's pliable, wouldn't doing a face plant mush his nose or the front of the base, or is it not that pliable?

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-29 16:51, TikiJosh wrote:
So, how's the pyrex weight work? The tiki looks face down with the dish on his back. If he's pliable, wouldn't doing a face plant mush his nose or the front of the base, or is it not that pliable?

Hey TikiJosh,
The tiki will bend, but it is not pliable to the point of being able to reshape the piece. It just gets it "soft" enough to bend easily by hand. It has some sort of memory, so it wants to go back to the bent position as it cools. It gets harder as it cools too, so when it started hardening a bit, I put the pyrex on top to keep it straight while it was cooling. After about ten minutes, it is warm, but will stay straight without the plate on top as it returns to room temperature. I did another thinner one, and I just held it in my hands straight for about ten minutes, and it turned out fine. The plate works well when it is too hot to hold.

Sold for $159.49 on ebay a couple of days ago ...

Quote:

On 2007-01-28 03:23, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
A few more, older CCJ pieces to set the hook deep , Sorry "B"

Da Damn List!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 1:20 pm   Permalink

Oh, I gotcha. Hot enough to bend, but not so hot and soft that it gets mucked up when you put a pyrex dish on it. ha ha. Good to know that tikis can be fixed this way. Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 9:58 pm   Permalink

Not from Hawaii, but I thought you guys might like to see a couple of "Marble Art" resin sculptures I just picked up on holiday. They are probably the closest equivalent to CJ's or HIP you'll find in Aotearoa and I've been after these two for a while now.
"Pania of the Reef", about 12" tall. Copy of a famous bronze statue located in Napier:

Chief with Tiki - 8 1/2" tall.

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2007-02-01 21:58 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 11:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Paipo, I have a similar Pania statue. I really like the Maori chief.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 03:08 am   Permalink

Aloha Paipo! Sounds like you had a good vacation. Resin Parua Studios items and some unmarked Maori items.

Enjoy the Moko....Freddie

Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 9:28 pm   Permalink

Freddie, I heard what you said to Buzzy, and Iím afraid youíre a bad influence on him. You and Buzzy canít play with your Coco Joes together any more!

Zaya

[ This Message was edited by: Zaya 2007-02-02 21:31 ]

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-03 01:39 am   Permalink

Aloha Zaya! We're actually conducting a scientific experiment...If a Tiki carver is bombarded with Tiki images and UFC events, will his inner creativity blossom? Of course this is an ongoing study and both stimuli must be administered in generous quantities to validate these claims.
Here is this weekends dose. This should be followed up with an UFC event (I think Anderson Silva is gonna kick butt) I can hear the creativity flowing...........Freddie

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 02:30 am   Permalink

A couple more variations of CCJ 205-T Kuula-"God of Fishermen" The deeply revered fish god of the ancient Hawaiians was Kuula, to whom shrines were erected and the first fish caught presented in gratitude for a successful catch. (2") Legends in Lava

The one on the right is an older version that is anatomically correct and doesn't have rhinestone eyes yet...Aloha, Freddie

Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 10:22 am   Permalink

On 2007-02-03 01:39, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Aloha Zaya! We're actually conducting a scientific experiment...If a Tiki carver is bombarded with Tiki images and UFC events, will his inner creativity blossom? Of course this is an ongoing study and both stimuli must be administered in generous quantities to validate these claims.

Hi Freddie, this is definitely true! For proof check out Buzzy's thread!

These last two are so cool. I really like those older Coco Joes. I also really like those Maori pieces you posted earlier too. The detail in them is amazing, and I especially love the one on the far right that's a little bowl. It's beautiful! So what else are you holding out on us? I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 10:48 am   Permalink

My CCJ 205:
I cannot tell, but it looks like the eyes on this one are different than yours

Aloha Freddie: Got a quick question for you regarding this fine cocojoes product:

"...and hear CocoJoe's famous 'Legends' at the orange and green musical talking display..."

I was just wondering: Do you keep your orange and green talking display in the living room next to your plasma TV, or is it over on the scanner table? Does it run on batteries? You DO have one, right?

Take care Lava Buddies,
Buzzy Out!

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 04:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-08 10:22, Zaya wrote:
So what else are you holding out on us? I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I'm glad you're enjoying the posts, let me see what I can dig up....Aloha, Freddie

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation