[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Hawaiian swing Lp
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hawaiian swing Lp
Talkie-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 10:16 am   Permalink

I fond the best record called Hawaiian swing
By Werner Muller it is so great I had to pull myself it was so good the first time I head it I didn't want to take it off my record player

BTW there is a CD with the same name but its not the same band or the same music you my be able to find it at record stores look in swing or exotica section

Mahalo -Talkie-Tiki

View Profile of Talkie-Tiki Send a personal message to Talkie-Tiki  Email Talkie-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 10:26 am   Permalink

I love that record. I have a few tracks from it on my Swank Exotica CD. It has a nice twist in the music that pushes it on over into the "Lounge" genre.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 1:26 pm   Permalink

You might also want to try "Hawaiian Holiday" by Hal Aloma ("king of the steel guitar") and his Hawaiians. My girlfriend found this LP and it rocks! Not sure if anything by him is available on CD, though.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-22 2:01 pm   Permalink

I have Hawaiian Swing too. The cover is fantastic! I may be persuaded to part with it though... for the right price!

: ) Evil capitalist fishy

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-23 10:16 pm   Permalink

I agree. "Hawaiian Swing" by Werner Muller is a great album and I've use several cuts, (especially "Hawaiian Eye" Theme), on some of my lounge-mix cassettes.

There are more Hawaiian records in this genre. I have a separate section of my collection set aside for them and labelled "Hawaiian Swing". It could also be titled "Hawaiian Atomic" or "Hawaiian Lounge". Here are a few of my favorites. You may want to keep your eyes open for them, because the cover art doesn't always tell the story. It was only after playing them that I realized I had stumbled onto something unique.

PINK HAWAII by Billy Mure
HAWAIIAN PERCUSSION by Billy Mure
HAWAII IN HI-FI by Leo Addeo & His Orchestra
PARADISE REGAINED by Leo Addeo & Orch.
HAWAIIAN PARADISE - by Leo Addeo & Orch.
POLYNESIAN PERCUSSION - George Cates
HAWAII'S GREATEST HITS - Prince Kalua and the Tropical Islanders
HAWAIIAN ENCHANTMENT FOR DANCING - No artists named, on Omega Records.
HAWAII - Frank Chacksfield & Orch. A Phase 4 record on the London label.
SONGS OF THE ISLANDS - Wayne King and Orch.

Billy Mure, Leo Addeo, and George Cates are the most "out-there" and sound closest to your Werner Muller record. They are all great examples of swingin', loungy Hawaiian music.

Prince Kalua & the HAWAIIAN ENCHANTMENT records both sound like The Three Suns playing Hawaiian standards.

Wayne King and Frank Chacksfield's albums have a lush, orchestrated big-band sound, with some Exotica feel to them as well. They are dreamier and slower paced, although Frank Chacksfield's version of "The Hawaiian War Chant" really swings and is an amazing example of Space-Age Hawaiian.

I bet Swanky knows even more artist that fit this sub-genre of Hawaiian music.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-25 10:33 am   Permalink

Actually, Billy Mure plays on Leo Addeo's "Hawaii in Hi-Fi."

I would add Norman Luboff to the mix. He is super kitsch. He has a choir and when you hear this very sweet choir singing "Hawaiian War Chant" etc., it will crack you up. Not that it's great music, it's just got that lounge twist.

You named the one's I think of first. Billy Mure and Leo Addeo and Werner Muller. Look for Joey Byrd and a record called Ports of Paradise.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-26 11:49 am   Permalink

Hmm, not sure I would consider Leo Addeo or George Cates "swing," at least not in the traditional sense. Billy Mure, maybe.

But as long as we're being liberal with our definition of Hawaiian Swing, then I would like to add "Stop the Panic" by Luke Vibert and BJ Cole. I'm sure a lot of you are already familiar with this disc, but for those who aren't, it's steel guitar meets electronica. It's not all Hawaiian, but the track "Fly Hawaii" is da bomb! Hawaiian steel guitar meets hip-hop, bradduh! (Hmm, not sure why I'm typing everything with a faux Hawaiian accent. I guess this music just has that affect on you). Also, the second track, "Swing Light, Alright," is good, too. The whole thing is worth checking out.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-06 07:57 am   Permalink

Whew! Took a while to refind this thread.

I had to pass along my finding this week. At my favorite thrift store, I got a haul of great lounge. In the list is Henri Rene, Johnny Pineapple, Equivel Latinesque, and more. One record I chose just for it's cover. I got to the checkout and made some decisions and kept this record for it's condition, nice cover and a song called "Tiki." I had to hear that. Well, I listened last night and it is great! The first genuine Exotica artist I have heard outside of the big three. The liner says Alfred Apaka discovered him. This music is very Denny-esque. The band? The Gene Rains Group. The record I have is "Rains in the Tropics" which is his third it says.

Don't bid against me on Ebay dammit. Once I (trog218) have bought all the LPs I want, you guys can scarf them up for yourselves!

Now I need to go back to the thrift store and get all the records by bands I had not heard of... All in great condition. I should trust the judgement of the person who had all these other greats in their collect and buy the lot.

Georgia Gibbs, Bert Kempfert, Hugo Winterhalter, Henri Mancini, a bunch of "Stereo Experience" type of box sets...

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-06 10:39 am   Permalink

I have posted the song Tiki for you to hear

CLICK HERE

The mp3 is screwed up. I will have to fix it this evening. I'll post when it is done.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2003-02-06 11:21 ]

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-06 2:08 pm   Permalink

As for me, I will tune into the Swank Pad...

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-06 5:26 pm   Permalink

Ok, it's fixed. I hope.

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-06 6:42 pm   Permalink

"The first genuine Exotica artist I have heard outside of the big three. "

you should also check out Tak Shindo's "MGANGA!"

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 05:32 am   Permalink

I just got some of his stuff on Ebay and am working on a trade for more. Also getting some George Cates.

Talkie-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 5:23 pm   Permalink

Guys you will think I flipped my lid on this but; I just got a really cool album. The album is called Sacred music in the Hawaiian style by Bud Tutmarc and Lorin Whitney. I thought I would get it as a gag. For only a buck I thought that I would take the risk. When I put it on I thought it was going to be crappy. After listening to a few tunes on both sides it was pretty good! Finally there is church music I don't mind listening to on a regular basis. The last three songs Bud Tutmarc sings so expect your typical church vocals. It is especially fun to listen to on Sunday; you can sit in your tiki bar and toast a mai tai to Jesus! (No sacrilege intended)

Remember there is religious music for everyone, even for the south sea enthusiast!

View Profile of Talkie-Tiki Send a personal message to Talkie-Tiki  Email Talkie-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 17:23, Talkie-Tiki wrote:
The album is called Sacred music in the Hawaiian style by Bud Tutmarc and Lorin Whitney.

Interesting. What does it sound like? Typical church music played with ukulele's and slack key guitar? What a concept...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation