FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My fourth bone carving..now posted!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My fourth bone carving..now posted!
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 4:12 pm   Permalink

(Added on my personal thread as well)Here is a piece of bone jewelry I carved for Tallaluna for our anniversary. It's a Maori Teko Teko, Lakes area style. It measures about 2 inches. The inlays are very special...they are made of very precious abalone-that was gathered and cut by Eli Hedley! Bambooben sent me a portion of a small amount he found in his mom's attic. It polishes up beautifully.. The tiki mana is very strong in this stuff. I wouldn't have felt right if I hadn't given Eli himself credit for the beautiful abalone, so I gave a dual billing where my signature normally is... Aloha!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-01-17 16:16 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 5:04 pm   Permalink

For a second there I thought you meant that you had cut yourself pretty deep. So I was happy to find out what you really did. It is a very special piece! Congrats on the anniv. and I hope you do more bone work in the future. It's always great to see your work no matter the material! I am always amazed at how quickly you work and maintain such great detail. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 5:24 pm   Permalink

Great artwork on that jewelry piece.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 6:31 pm   Permalink

BK rocks!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 6:53 pm   Permalink

BK,

What kinda bone is that? I know a guy who can get you lots of bone to work in

It looks beautiful

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 04:45 am   Permalink

Excellent first bone work BK and I'm sure that mr Eli aprives wholehartedly. What tools did you use to complete this piece? My next piece will also have some of Eli'sAbalone bits inlayed on it.
WHere did you find the bone you carved? You have one lucky lady.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 08:53 am   Permalink

Aloha Bruddah!
Howzit?! I must say brah, Ive been a "bone" carver for many, many years and I must say your first attempt at bone carving is absolutely stellar! Its takes a lot of practice & quiet study to carve bone right and it looks as if youve had a great start! Im wondering what kine bone youve used for this Hei-tiki? Most kanaka's use regular beef bone which carves up nicely but doesnt carry the heavy mana of other kine bone. I guess Im lucky but I have a good friend who "gifts" me a lot of rare & expensive bone material such as whale bone, walrus bone, sea cow bone, water buffalo and more...And, Ive got a great hook-up on New Zealand Paua shell too, Ive got tons of it! Ive also have real wild abalone collected on the central coast beaches here. Its not as stunning as genuine Paua shell but it has its own iradescent kine beauty. If you ever need da kine, let me know and Ill hook you up!

Ive got tons of scrap material here at the shop and if you want I can send you some rare kine samples to play around with. Different bones have varying density & grain structures and its good to learn the sometimes subtle differences when working with various kine bones. Theres also choke amounts of little tricks & tips that can be utilized when working in bone & shell so just let me know if you ever have any questions or problems. It would be my pleasure to pass along what Ive learned to a "new" bone carver!

Theres also a few books you can pick up to help with your new hobby such as: Bone Carving, A skillbase of Techniques & concepts by my bruddah Steve Myhre. Just go to
www.newzealandbooks.co.nz to order da kine! Its more Maori based in its instruction but he does a great job at going over tools & carving techniques, some of which Ive used myself over the years! So, Again your first bone carving is awesome and I cant wait to see with what you come up with next! It can get addicting bruddah! So just get used to wearing your respirator (bone dust turns to gelatin in your lungs! No good for you brah!)and get used to the pilau stink from da kine dust!

Again, great carving!!!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 4:27 pm   Permalink

You really nailed this one.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 6:20 pm   Permalink

Your work is always something to look up to. Thanks for sharing.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks all...Ben, I used both regular palm chisels for guide lines and diamond dust burrs for this piece. I have always cut my abalone for Maori stuff on a bench grinder, but mind that you use a heavy duty respirator (solvent grade) as mesothelioma is no fun...Bob Van Oosting wrote me once that it killed a guy that did ab work that they used to buy from. G- I used regular cowbone for this one..Cutting some shell for you tomorrow. Kaha Ki'i-Thanks, Braddah-I'd love to try some new materials...I'll PM you with my addy...and thanks for the comps..You're a master...Ono ...Top notch. It mean a lot coming from you on a piece like this as I'm historically just a woodchuck. I enjoyed the project, and the space requirements for jewelry are definitely nicely on the small side. ALoha...BK

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-04 6:21 pm   Permalink

hey brah! Howzeet?
I just PM'd you bruddah...Mahalo for the kind words on your post...Its really is an amazing piece for a first time bone carver! Wait until you become proficient...Id bet da farm youre gonna be amazing at it! Wait until you get da kine package I sent you, you may quit carving wood altogether! (maybe not, your wood carvings are pono!)And, carving small kine stuff does save space, although my little work bench is a mess, it seems I may need a bigger one someday!
Anyway, big mahaloz again for the kind words brah and we'll talk story laterz...

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 9:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha, guys and gals..Here is number two...a Bay Of Plenty/Rorutua style birth image. It is a larger 1 1/4 x 3 inches. Also with Eli Hedley's Abalone! This one will be for sale, in Tiki Marketplace...I'm working on a large Tongaroa tiki and a comissioned club right now but will get to more jewelry as I have time..The cord is hand braided Raffia with a nylon core. Mahalo!

kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 08:57 am   Permalink

Aloha again bruddah!
Howzit? Well, another pono carving! Very nice...Shoots brah, youre gonna be a master bone carver wikiwiki! I got your PM and I cant wait to see da kine you send me. Nice raffia kaula too, but let me know if you want to learn the art of Hawaiian style plaited kaula. Its much stronger and prettier than regular braids. Hawaiian Kaula almost has a geometric quality to the plaiting and its pretty much the standard when it comes to Hawaiian kine pendants...Just let me know brah, Ill show you how to create a plaiting board (which is a modern innovation) as opposed to plaiting by hand using your big toe! Once you get a mana'o of how to create the kaula, it becomes fairly easy to make da kine! Anyway, really nice carving bruddah! Keep it up!

Malama Pono!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 09:38 am   Permalink

BK, the second one looks better than the first. I guess once you get into the bone carving, you will learn all the little tricks that go along with any carving. Hope my bone pieces turn out this good. Thanks for the inspiration.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 3:42 pm   Permalink

Very nice! Are you enjoying the smell???

I sent you a PM.

-Gman

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2006-01-10 19:06 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation