FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My fourth bone carving..now posted!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
My fourth bone carving..now posted!
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 9:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys...Ben I shutter to think what you can do with this material if I can do these. Kaha, I would love to learn the plaiting technique. Does it use raffia? G-it does smell...like trying to get that last "bang for your buck" out of a j**nt as a teenager and singeing your hair in the process!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:38 am   Permalink

BK
Nice work, nice transition to another material.
I used to make bone jewelry for The Gauntlet about 15 years ago, can still recall the smell of drilling into it, and god forbid you over sped and burned, damn, thats some stank! always went home smelling like the floor of a meat packing plant on a hot day. Load up on the Gojo with pumice, pumice to scrub away that sticky resin from bone dust and finger oil, and orange oil to mask the stank fingers.
Can't wait to see more.
TT

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked 2006-01-12 10:39 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 4:36 pm   Permalink

Aloha again brah,
Howzit?
Well bruddah,you can use raffia with the modern technique of ancient Hawaiian kaula but you have to be careful not to over stress the material when you plait the separate cords that make up the kaula. Usually on my makau i do a 6-plait (I use waxed nylon on my makau kaula, stronger than natural fiber and wont break down from sweat, body oils detergents etc.) but with the raffia, youll probably only need to go 4-plait or even 2...
Next time I plait a kaula, Ill take some pics and we'll get you started!
As far as the pilau stink from da bone brah, wait until you start carving the whale bone I sent you! Beef bone is downright pleasant compared to the whale bone. No matter how old the whale bone is, it still retains a lot of the oil from the marrow. If youve never had the pleasure of smelling a dead whale on the beach, youll be in for a little treat when you start to grind the whale bone! get ready brah! No matter what kine respirator you wear, youre still gonna smell da kine! AU-Way brah, Its stinks!!!
Not sure what tikitanked was talking about though, Ive been a bone carver for years (carving at least 20 different kine of bone) and Ive never had a problem removing the stink from my body or clothes...
Good idea is to maybe invest (or build yourself) a nice down draft table with good filtration to catch most of da kine dust so you wont stink up your shop too much! I can help with that too brah if you like, just let me know!

Aloha auinala cuz, keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 4:40 pm   Permalink

All of your carvings are great and this is no exception. I hope you are not giving up carving the "big" stuff.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:51 am   Permalink

Both of these are great. They look like antique just dug up. You seem at home in many mediums. I could not take the smell. Burning hair does not smell good so I could only imagine the stink.

I'll stick with the wood.

Whats next Jade Teco?

Thanks for posting
EB

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-15 2:26 pm   Permalink

Here is carving number three..This is a Maori image known as a Marakihau..It is a type of mythological fish spirit very old in Maori storytelling. It is said that many of the great ancestors became Marakihau upon their earthly death and live in the sea! This piece is 3 and 3/4 inches, carved in beautiful ancient walrus bone, several thousand yeas old (Thanks to the great Cabanilla!). The beautiful patina on the back of this piece I left intact; speaks of the ages! For the abalone I made a "pupil cut", grinding into the center black shell just enough to form a bookmatched eye.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-15 2:47 pm   Permalink

Hey brah!
Aloha cuz!!!
Okay, now youre beginning to get addicted, yeah? Im so stoked to see what youve done with materials I gave you! That walrus bone is great stuff huh? Im sure you noticed the density and how easy it carves (like buttah brah!). Its one of my favorite materials to work with and the spirit of the ancient beast will live on in your beautiful work! As a matter of fact, about 90% of the makau I wear is made from da kine! Were both lucky to have this rare material to work with!
I think the pieces I gave you come from the skull of the walrus and it has nice coloration and little porosity which makes the finished work even more beautiful!

Anyways, shoots brah! I cant wait to see what elese you come up with (especially the gift of aloha youre making for me!). Always a pleasure to see your work brah, keep up the good work! Geevum!

Malama pono my bruddahs!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 4:19 pm   Permalink

It's a slightly different, more defiant looking Bay Of Plenty style image. It measures 3 inches, with more of Eli's abalone. Nui!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 4:34 pm   Permalink

You have really become one with that material, I thought your clubs and weapons were great, but I think you found a terrific niche.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 4:57 pm   Permalink

BK,

VERY cool! It will look great around my Maori's neck. Thank you!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 4:58 pm   Permalink

Very cool carving!

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:18 am   Permalink

Definitely looking great BK. You are soon to be one of the Bone Masters!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation