FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hala Kahiki, River Grove, IL (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Hala Kahiki, River Grove, IL (bar)
Numatiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-26 08:01 am   Permalink

Hala Bullhiki should be able to identify that for us. I spied one in a pic in his home tiki bar thread.

View Profile of Numatiki Send a personal message to Numatiki  Email Numatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 10:38 am   Permalink

lol....thanks....yeah, thats a super rare ultra hard to find.......plastic piece of crap.....lol!....cant believe someone went to the hala kahiki, and photographed THAT....of all the things to photograph, THAT got snapped.....ours was given by a friend, you know"hey i picked this up for you since you like tiki"...as you try to act nice about it and respond...."thank you"....er, i guess?......lol

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 11:09 am   Permalink

I thought I had said this here, but, must have been another thread.

Hala Kahiki is very near my number 1 location. Hard to make it over the Mai Kai, but, I personally put it way up there. When I was there, I walked through a foot of snow. Entering the place in that condition really stressed the oasis quality and you only get that experience up north. Not in Florida or California. That is the true tiki bar experience. That's why I put it up near number 1. It and the Mai Kai defined the aesthetic and feel for me. That is what I am seeking with my own home bar.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
javabachelor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 11:35 am   Permalink

I'm actually going to hit Hala Kahiki this weekend. Friday night to be exact. Been years for me. I want to say the 2005 Exotica, but I hope it hasn't been that long. Also, we're thinking of hitting Tiki Terrace on Saturday. Can anyone tell me what to expect over there?

Java

(P.S. If anyone is going to Hala Kahiki on Friday, come find me and I'll set you up with a free copy of Bachelor Pad Magazine!)

View Profile of javabachelor Send a personal message to javabachelor  Email javabachelor Goto the website of javabachelor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 06:35, Kenike wrote:
This is one of my top places to see that I haven't seen yet. I really need to make the trip and see it while it's still in all it's glory. It looks like Witco heaven!

But I have to ask, what exactly do you call this?

I have to say,when I took this photo it did not look like this.......all you could see was a glowing tiki mask in a dark room.....so I didn't notice the clown like face til after the flash.....but it does give an honest look into the bar.......Yes there is alot of Witco but there is also alot of cheap tacky plastic crap from Biglots.............but todays biglots is tomarrows Witco......sorry bigbro

Wildsville Man

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 12:08, Wildsville man wrote:

Yes there is alot of Witco but there is also alot of cheap tacky plastic crap from Biglots.....

You mentioned that at the beginning of your pic post..but even some of the Big Lots crap (and I own a few select pieces) can be used in a fairly appropriate way. But here you have a super-cheap, inappropriately painted, flimsy plastic clown mask mounted in what appears to be a pretty nice bamboo frame with a tapa background. Just doesn't seem right.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 4:48 pm   Permalink

Not much difference then this large plastic Tiki that glows from the inside.

I'm not complaining about the BigLot stuff,because I own some myself...But I came here to check out the historic tiki bar,not the discount rack!!!!!!

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 4:56 pm   Permalink

and there wasnt enough other stuff in the hala kahiki for you to see or take pics of that WASNT from the "discount rack"???

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 4:58 pm   Permalink

looking at this link it seems that I am the only one to take pictures!!!!!!!! DIG?

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 5:21 pm   Permalink

.....okay..just to clear up this nonsense....may i draw your attention to page 185 of book of tiki......there is an orange lite-up mask.....though it wasn't this one that used to hang in that spot where the cheapy tiki hangs, but another one, very similiar, from the same company that made the one in svens book.....years ago, sonny gave the original old one to me cause it was severely damaged..i had hopes of repairing it and making a new mold of it to cast plaster masks out of...it proved to be more challenging than i anticipated as it was really fragile.....needless to say it got tossed out, beyond saving.......there was nothing to hang in it's place so they just grabbed a plastic mask from the gift shop to cover the bulb that was just hanging there out of the wall......it's been like that since....

if anyone wants to make a new wooden mask to hang over it i'm sure they would appreciate it..and by the tone this thread is taking, so would alot of other folks here as well....LOL

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 17:21, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
if anyone wants to make a new wooden mask to hang over it i'm sure they would appreciate it..and by the tone this thread is taking, so would alot of other folks here as well....LOL

My apologies for destroying this thread...

I was merely wondering why something so obviously cheap would be hanging in a place that was obviously meant for something else much nicer...as if it was placed there to lessen its crappiness.

Thanks for explaining.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 6:48 pm   Permalink

..no worries...it was a good question....one i probably would have asked had i not known the answer already...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Numatiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-26 7:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-05 13:19, Swanky wrote:
Quote:
One immediately equates a Hawaiian-themed nightclub with cheesy decor and sweaty drunks hogging the karaoke stage.

Yep, that's exactly what comes to mind...

Can someone please tell me where this notion comes from and if it is what Chicagoland folks think?

And just a few posts later we see a cheap, modern, mass-market "tiki" hanging in one of the great vintage tiki bars. One might see just how the "Chicagoland folks" get those thoughts of cheesy decor, eh?

View Profile of Numatiki Send a personal message to Numatiki  Email Numatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 3:48 pm   Permalink

Missus BH and I went on a whirlwind tour of Chicagoland Tiki bars this week, and paid a visit to Hala Kahiki. Despite the best attempts of some loud, rude jerks out on the patio to ruin the tranquility of our evening, we both loved it. The decor, music, and overall vibe was phenomenal.

The drinks, however, were a major letdown. I had a Scorpion and a Navy Grog, and left without even the tiniest buzz. If they hired a real bartender like Martiki to run the place, it'd be an unstoppable juggernaut.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-31 15:48, MrBaliHai wrote:
Missus BH and I went on a whirlwind tour of Chicagoland Tiki bars this week, and paid a visit to Hala Kahiki. Despite the best attempts of some loud, rude jerks out on the patio to ruin the tranquility of our evening, we both loved it. The decor, music, and overall vibe was phenomenal.

The drinks, however, were a major letdown. I had a Scorpion and a Navy Grog, and left without even the tiniest buzz. If they hired a real bartender like Martiki to run the place, it'd be an unstoppable juggernaut.

Did you make it to Chef Shangri-La? Way better drinks than HK!

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation