FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hala Kahiki, River Grove, IL (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Hala Kahiki, River Grove, IL (bar)
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-05 08:10 am   Permalink

It was not as dead as it looks. We were there quite early (~5 p.m.), and there was a decent handful of other customers, I just shot away from them. Still not jumpin', though.

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 5:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-04 22:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is always good to see the HK is still there. A bit empty, though. Hope they are doing well enough in these still tough times...
This hideaway should be on the national register of historic places for its interiors.

I second the motion. All in favor say "Aye".

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 6:58 pm   Permalink

I will be in my old stomping grounds Friday June 11th at 8p.m. for cocktails with old friends. Come join me for a drink.

From Tiki Caliente to the Hala Kahiki in one week.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 09:23 am   Permalink

Wow, Tiki overload! One can never have too much Tiki. And you deserve a vacation! Please shoot pictures and post em here, I love hearing from the Hala Kahiki, it does not get enough attention here. But don't block all the furniture!

And please tell them that Tiki Modern is running out of print, in case they don't have enough, they need to get their hands on the affordable copies before they get BOT-expensive.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 09:49 am   Permalink

Just got back home from my trip to Chicago. As It is always great going to the Hala Kahiki,it was even better seeing friends from childhood there and then having front row seats the next day for the cubs game........p.s. I got to touch the stanley cup when the blackhawks were walking the fiend Sunday. So enjoy the photo's I took and I hope you don't mind the cub's one I threw in.

As I do love the place I see the formula that makes them work has always been the very sweet versions of cocktails. I don't think The Tiki-Ti has anything to worry about cocktail wise. But if you are looking for a crowd of good looking girl's who just turned 21 then this is your place.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 10:33 am   Permalink

Sounds like a very fun trip Rory .Thanks for posting all the great pics.
I have always wanted to go to Wrigley field.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 2:24 pm   Permalink

Business meeting in Chicago, Yes!!

Which means...

I'll be at the Hala Kahiki on Mon, May 2nd.

A full site visit report will be forthcoming....

And here it is -
Hala Kahiki trip report

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-08 19:24 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 6:15 pm   Permalink

Shame on me for not looking at the post sooner! On a business trip in Chicago! Little did I know my drive to Oak Park would allow me to "stumble" upon the Hala Hahiki lounge! I'm only here for two more days as my flight is Tuesday at 6pm! So that mean I'll be having a nightcap at the Hala Hahiki around 7ish. Anyone else going to be in the area I'll be there!

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 10:10 pm   Permalink

Correction its called the Hala Kahiki! Well anyway I was able to make my way to the local tiki establishment, and generally I was impressed. The drinks where very reasonable and where well done. I have enclosed some snaps for you to enjoy.

ik

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 10:19 pm   Permalink

The snaps

Fiji Mermaid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-27 2:21 pm   Permalink

I just went here for the first time last week. Had less than one full day in Chicago so I hit Paradise Club, Hala Kahiki, and then dinner at Chef Shangri La. I was so charmed by the decor and the friendly staff at Hala Kahiki. The atmosphere is just perfect, and exactly what I would love to have if I opened a bar. Great gift shop, too. I have family in Milwaukee, so I'll just have to make this place a must-stop evrey time I drive through.

View Profile of Fiji Mermaid Send a personal message to Fiji Mermaid  Goto the website of Fiji Mermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-15 09:39 am   Permalink

50% off drinks - great deal, so hurry!

http://www.icoupononline.com/chicago?aff_id=181

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrendaT

Posted: 2011-08-18 08:09 am   Permalink

I went there about a month ago when I was in Chicago with my husband for a concert. It was a fun and relaxing place. It does have an interesting history of how it became a tiki bar. Apparently, the owners put up bamboo wall coverings to cover the peeling paint of the walls in the original location and the regulars liked the vibe a lot and pushed them to make it a tropical bar.

View Profile of BrendaT Send a personal message to BrendaT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-12-18 10:04 pm   Permalink

A few weeks ago I had a business trip to Chicago. I didn't know what my schedule would be like but knew that if some appropriate free time was available I wanted to spend it at Hala Kahiki. On Thursday, December 5th that opportunity arose and I was able to get there early enough to get some decent photos. Great place, great staff, and a big thank you to Jim (the owner) for his kind hospitality.

My favorite drink of the evening was the Scorpion, appropriately served in a bowl.

You can see the full resolution images on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akahaka/sets/

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-12-18 22:58 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 11:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos Karl!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation