FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music software suggestions to transfer vinyl to cd???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
software suggestions to transfer vinyl to cd???
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the input. My plan was to just use the headphone jack on my receiver which the turntable is connected too using the phono inputs. This will give me my line level signal out. My powerbook has an 1/8" audio in jack to get the tracks into my computer. With that, I have no problem getting my vinyl into my mac and editing (garageband right now) what I need for each track and even putting them into my itunes, ipod, cds, etc.

right???

I am just looking for a cheap, if not free, audio editing program download somewhere that has an automatic "declick" or "depop" for vinyl filter. I do fear that it may add a lot of "color" to the sound that will make it sound maybe worse especially if the program is free or cheap... you get what you pay for. But if a quick filter helps, then I am in.

I actually haven't had time to start this project yet but I do know that when my vinyl is playing om my player, there is a lot of noise. I am going to review the "cleaning vinyl" threads again making sure all my vinyl is as clean as it can be before I start recording into my mac. Thanks for that tip on the cleaner IZ! Looks pretty cool.

I will keep ya posted

Mahalo!
tj

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-06 01:43, I, Zombie wrote:
This weekend when I get a chance I'll look at my set up at home and PM you with exactly how I have it rigged up. It's working pretty good!

Thanks much -- I look forward to it.

(Now I'll know what to look for at MacWorld Expo!)

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
c10
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-06 5:01 pm   Permalink

I don't think you'll want to use your headphone out. It's hotter than line level, and it's going to be affected by the receiver's loudness and EQ controls. Do you have some 'rec out' RCA jacks on the back?

View Profile of c10 Send a personal message to c10  Email c10 Goto the website of c10     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 06:55 am   Permalink

Yes! Headphone jack output is BAD. I have tried this in my earliest days of analog to digital conversion. The sound is very tinny as you will see(or hear). Another program that I absolutely love is made by Sonic Foundry called Sound Forge. It even comes with a Vinyl Restoration program that is really easy to use and you have absolutely complete control over the audio signal. Visually as well. You can actually SEE the pops and clicks and take them out yourself with virtually no signal change. Depending upon which version you buy it runs between $200-300 dollars. Unless you find a bootleg copy somewhere. Tikibars was correct, "you get what you pay for." Good luck with your vinyl transfers!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

P.S. That homemade record cleaner link is very interesting. Thanks!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 07:57 am   Permalink

OK so headphone out is bad. I do have "rec" RCA jacks out on my reciever. I will use that as my signal out into the Mac. Now its just a matter of how much I decide to spend on the software. Thanks again everybody.

Mahalo

tj

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-06 16:07, tiki junkman wrote:I am just looking for a cheap, if not free, audio editing program download somewhere that has an automatic "declick" or "depop" for vinyl filter. I do fear that it may add a lot of "color" to the sound that will make it sound maybe worse especially if the program is free or cheap... you get what you pay for. But if a quick filter helps, then I am in.

Try
Audacity if you want free. You may have to hunt down some add-in filters.

Also, a good, cheap choice for getting the audio into your Mac is the Griffin iMic 2. It comes with a RCA-to-1/8" jack and then plugs into your USB port (bypassing the soundcard). I use it on my Mac Mini with great success.

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 6:46 pm   Permalink

Vic,
I tried Audacity on my Mac G5 running OS X 10.4.3 It has a hellatious bug. It plays about 3 seconds of the audio and keeps repeating it over and over, even though the playback head shows its moving through the waveform. I don't know if its not fully compatible with my OS version.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 11:48 pm   Permalink

I'm a cheap bastard

I bought some monster cables and did this: record player to reciever - reciever out (tape record out) to Imac g5, opened Garage Band, turned settings as though the input was from an instrument and I've been ripping records one song at a time. Sounds great too.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-11 23:48, Polynesiac wrote:
I'm a cheap bastard

I bought some monster cables and did this: record player to reciever - reciever out (tape record out) to Imac g5, opened Garage Band, turned settings as though the input was from an instrument and I've been ripping records one song at a time. Sounds great too.

Take those Monster cables back & just get some normal cables. Monster cables are a tecnological boondogle & a rip off, you don't gain anything noticeable from having the oversized cables.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-11 23:48, Polynesiac wrote:
I'm a cheap bastard

I had a little extra time and just did this same thing. So far works ok. Once you find the right levels, you just play and record. I also think the sound quality is fine. You definitely hear all those pops and cracks from the needle.

tj

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 09:42 am   Permalink

It all depends on what the final product will be used for. Technology these days is a huge morass of options and possibilities. I love Peak for many applications, also use Digital Performer, neither of which are cheap, but the results are spectacular! I have always been an audiophile and somewhat a purist. These apps provide the best results for the buck that I have seen so far. However, the other options listed in this thread seem most promising as well! Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

vegasvic wrote:

> > tiki junkman wrote:
> > I am just looking for a cheap, if not free,
> > audio editing program download somewhere
> > that has an automatic "declick" or "depop"
> > for vinyl filter.

> Try
Audacity
> if you want free. You may have to hunt down
> some add-in filters.

> Also, a good, cheap choice for getting the
> audio into your Mac is the Griffin iMic 2.
> It comes with a RCA-to-1/8" jack and then
> plugs into your USB port (bypassing the
> soundcard). I use it on my Mac Mini with
> great success.

I haven't tried it yet but I bought an ADSTech
"Instant Music" device with cables at CompUSA.
I think it was around $20 if I remember right.
Anyway, it converts line level audio into a
USB-compliant signal and comes with some sort
of software AND is Mac compatible as well (I
am PC-based, though). I have about 400 old
vinyl albums/12" singles plus another 100+
7" 45's and a Sony direct drive turntable,
plus a Discwasher manual cleaning set-up. I
don't have a ton of interesting (Exotica-
wise) stuff (the soundtrack to "Hawaii Five-
O" being an exception) but do have a LOT of
old Doc Severinsen LP's on the Command label
that I want to burn to CD. Should be able to
get more info on http://www.adstech.com if
you want it.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation