Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Comedian Billy Connolly and Trader Vics
Comedian Billy Connolly and Trader Vics
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 05:44 am   Permalink

For all you Billy Connolly fans, i just watched his movie/documentary Erect for 30 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JMQQ/qid=1136553744/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-1364786-0909548?n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

It is a compilation of his stand up routines, and TV interviews. During one of his television appearances he mentions getting drunk at a Trader Vics, drinking Zombies. It is a halarious moment.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 06:54 am   Permalink

I saw that, he really is a genius.
I've never seen a recording of him that captures his energy or ability to round up scattered thought.

Eddie Izzard seems to have some similar style of getting way off topic and then using it later eg: "Hitler was a Vegitarian..." later "I a was with some people who were vegitarians...Hello Mr. Hitler"

The shocking TV joke about parking the bike in using the dead wife is so grim and funny (and captures the actual dark mirth of Glasgow)I howled at those recordings.

Also the bit when he has the long beard for Mr Brown and somebody in a bar punches the beard, not him...that whole story was great...oh my

I've show people his videos tho and they've never cracked a smile...strange thing humor

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 07:17 am   Permalink

Billy Connely owns a house and Bar on Gozo, a small island off of Malta my where my parents now live as well.
I'll be there next week, and a freind there knows him well, i could try and ask more

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 07:32 am   Permalink

super cool if you could hear some stories straight from the horses mouth....as i recall, in the documentary, he was talking about how he stopped drinking and his trader vics episode may have been the moment he decided enough was enough.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:16 am   Permalink

"UP THE BIG YIN" as they say through the west, one of my formative tiki experiences is seeking a "zombie" based on the description of a drink that gets you drunk from the legs up, as a child all i wanted to drink when i grew up was zombies and pan galactic gargle blasters.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 3:05 pm   Permalink

Not that this is a riveting story, but... my family was going through customs in Vancouver last year when we spotted a very recognizable Billy Connolly standing at the front of the line with a guitar strapped to his back. Instead of intruding on him, I told my wife the rest of us would pretend to pose for a picture and she could shoot a pic of him over our shoulders. Alas, the customs agents spotted her camera and said "No pictures in here!". Oh well, almost had a good conversation pic.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation