FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » My First Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
My First Post
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:18 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC. As Gman says, very cleanly carved tikis. Very nice. That last one took a lot of work. Looks like you are used to cabinet and lathe work of some kind?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:22 pm   Permalink

love your early efforts...especially the kool stool.....someone else a lot more talented than I am....
but welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing more of your work!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 7:16 pm   Permalink

Alldo,

Are you from Brazil?? via HB??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-06 7:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks Johnny. I'm not a carpenter but I did shape surfboards for about 10 years in the South Bay of LA. I still shape a few boards but only wooden surfboards between tikis and my real job.

Thanks Conga, Ill try to post in progress pics and some of my other stuff now that I made the leap from viewer to poster.

Hey RevBambooBen, Nope grew up in LA County but would like to go to Brazil someday.

[ This Message was edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 19:50 ]

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 9:42 pm   Permalink

Alldo, those tikis are killer, besides the fact that they are your firsts. The glue up stock is a great idea - looks like a lot of work! You've got talent - stick around!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 04:04 am   Permalink

Aldo,
Kia Ora
Welcome aboard. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing what else comes to life.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 7:41 pm   Permalink

Hey RevBambooBen, Nope grew up in LA County but would like to go to Brazil someday.

[ This Message was edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 19:50 ]

----------------

Cool. Thought you were someone I knew a while back. He shaped boards too.

Nice werk........keep it up!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 04:11 am   Permalink

Aloha Alldo!!!!!!!!
Welcome my friend! Those are very nice carvings. You must have some art backround and a really good eye , Keep having fun carving,Aloha , Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-08 12:54 pm   Permalink

Välkommen!

Very nice stuff! Do you have a pic on the barbwire com´n out of the first tikis ass...?

/makutiki

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-08 2:43 pm   Permalink

Here is the pic of the wire sticking out of his backside. After the rains he has a little bit of a mildew on him. Spraying diluted bleach seems to take it off. Is that ok for long term? Should I coat him with a varnish to prevent mildew?

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-08 3:42 pm   Permalink

Here is the second tiki made out of the same ash logs as the other tiki. Ash is really nice to work with. Hard yet soft, with very little chipping or cracking. Chainsaw, chisels and a grinder. With lots of finish sanding. Teak natural stain with no poly. He has the same mildew as the previous tiki probably need to put a coat on him eh.

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 4:11 pm   Permalink

Wow! I really like your style. Great stuff.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 4:22 pm   Permalink

Hey brah!
Didnt see the stool until today...great work! Pretty labor intensive gluing all the pieces together , yeah? Looks pono bruddah! Did you make just the one or is he part of a set? ID buy da kine stool if I saw it for sale! Nice, really nice...Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-10 12:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the props Kaha Ki'i,
I'm thinking about making a limited run of the bar stool. However, it is very time consuming with the cutting and the gluing. On this project I had the table saw kick back a piece of wood into my hand. I thought I had really screwed up but only got a smashed finger out of the ordeal. The table saw is the only tool that I truly fear. I respect the other tools but the table saw will make you pay for any little mistake..... dearly. Anyway if I decide to make a run of the stools I'll let you know. Maybe we can trade?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 1:55 pm   Permalink

Nice tikis and the Stool is really KIller. Great job just laying it out and cutting it all. The guue up must have been Loads of fun too. Excellent project.
I'd say you have the tiki bug pretty bad. Let it run its course and feed it Plenty logs when it asks for them.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation