FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Does anyone like Capt. Cook?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Does anyone like Capt. Cook?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 06:48 am   Permalink

It's sort of vogue now-a-days to pick on explorers and people who were once icons...kick a bit of dirt on them...good fun...

but I keep going places and hearing people talk about this guy like he was the Anti Christ, and if you stick up for him, they hate you too.

Does anybody like this guy or find his life f-ing amazing? (or Van Damian, Tasman, Bouganville, Dampier as well?)

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 11:16 am   Permalink

I find his life truly amazing. Alot of his crews sketches of Tahiti are breathtaking. People should try and focus on his positive contributions. I'm not saying to ignore the more questionable things he did but try not to overlook his impact on the world.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 10:12 pm   Permalink

Never met him. Don't know.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 10:13 pm   Permalink

Never met him. Don't know.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 10:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-10 06:48, Gigantalope wrote:
but I keep going places and hearing people talk about this guy like he was the Anti Christ, and if you stick up for him, they hate you too.

He was not a god, such as Lono, but he was a very noteworthy explorer who utilized excellent methods to describe the South Pacific islands he visited.

Attempting to kidnap a King, as he had done previously, particularly over a petty theft, shows that he was very high-handed, a mistake for which he paid dearly.

Good question.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 11:46 pm   Permalink

Some of you apparently find/found the guy hard to swallow. Though he sure got his noggin conked at the coolest snorkle spot.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 06:56 am   Permalink

"Hard to swallow"

"God such as Lono"

Most amuzing.

Not much goes well when wildly different cultures meet. It's fascinating to consider the episodes so many years later...all the misunderstanding of behavior, and customs. The value of things made of steel.

Hard to imagine how many trips he successfully managed back then.

His descriptions of Australian Aboriginals is haunting...the absolute inability to understand a single thing about each other, especially the disinterest in possessions is truly strange.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 10:03 am   Permalink

I like my Capt. Cook Medium-Well.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 8:51 pm   Permalink

I deal with people at work who leave their homes with no identification or money whatsoever. Many times these people are in charge of someone else's children, and driving around with no i.d., etc. I can't believe they are the same species as the explorers who navigated across the globe, braving the violent seas, relying on skill and knowledge to reach their goal.

Although now that I think of it, I'll bet Capt. Cook didn't have i.d. on him when he showed up, either!

I'll have to go with Cap'n Crunch.

Everyone should read the biography of Dampier, "A Pirate of Exquisite Mind" that's out now, it's a wonderful read.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 9:02 pm   Permalink

NO!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 10:15 pm   Permalink

Medium well is overcooked. Make mine medium.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-11 22:15, Jungle Trader wrote:

Not for Long Pork.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:27 am   Permalink

People seem to be unable to look at men like him in the context of the times. In comparison to other contemporaries of his period, he comes across as wiser and more respectful towards other cultures than the average person at time.

Of course as a captain, he had to maintain order, and made some wrong decisisons, but they could have picked worse men for the job. I say hats off to Mr. Cook.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:09 pm   Permalink

Well, The way they pronounce his name on the islands is Captain Crook.
Though I gotta tell ya Sven.
I have learned a lot more constructive history about the islands from your books, than from the stupid / biased history books Ive read in High School.
Thank you once again!

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga 2006-01-12 22:46 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-12 09:22, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-01-11 22:15, Jungle Trader wrote:

Not for Long Pork.

pshaw, cmon, sheesh, Capt. Cook Pork?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation