FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kirby' s Dune Buggie Ready for Oasis CAR show pg 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kirby' s Dune Buggie Ready for Oasis CAR show pg 3
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 1:54 pm   Permalink

kanaka - thats crazy man

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 2:44 pm   Permalink

wiw they look like brothers....

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 07:54 am   Permalink

Very kool rides guys. Dune buggies have always had a place next to my heart. My Grandpa and my uncles used to make the craziest contraptions. When I was a kid we would go up to Pismo Beach or over to the dry lakes and camp out and ride dune buggies, go carts and mini bikes all weekend long. Definitely some of my favorite childhood memories. Good luck with the restorations. Thanks for postin' those pics.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 08:00 am   Permalink

cool! maybe once the buggy is done you can go out and solve mysteries!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 09:38 am   Permalink

Sings: "Little dune buggy, in the sand.... little blue dune buggy, in my hand"

Man those are awesome! I've seen one in the area for sale from time to time that I've been drooling over. Keep up the great work guys!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 11:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-12 12:02, Kanaka wrote:
Kirby,

I'm building a tikified dune buggy too with a little rat rod thrown in for good measure.

I've got a late 60's buggy that was set up for a FWD Oldsmobile Toronado 455 engine and turbo 425 FWD auto tranny in the back. The front clip of the Toro was cut and welded to a custom frame front. The stock Toro torsion bars were then flipped around to the front and all mounts rewelded.

I've just acquired the drivetrain and title donor car, a 1973 Toronado w/ 455.

I'm going to use the GM steering column with shifter so I can have a completely flat floor and do a Model T/model A roadster style tuck and roll interior with bench seat in green and silver metal flake vinyl and a matching tuck and roll upholstered engine cover over the back seat area. After I work all the bugs out I'm getting a new green metal flake manx style body and side panels from http://www.dunebuggybody.com here in Atlanta.

I plan on using the Mooneyes surfboard rear view mirror and Iron cross fender mount mirrors, getting a tiki shifter knob and doing lots of tiki pin stripping on the body.

I wish someone made some Tiki or Hang Loose/Shaka sign style tail lights but for now I'm using these peace sign lites as a 60's throw back!

Should be a real wheelie machine!

Scotty

[ This Message was edited by: Kanaka 2006-01-12 12:55 ]

i need this for tailgaters

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-14 01:00 am   Permalink

Kirby, cool ride!

Check and find out if it's a Meyers
http://www.meyersmanx.com/

If it is a Manx, it's worth a bit of money, as they were the original Dune Buggy. Bruce Meyers is still alive and well, and lives near San Diego. He puts on a big party in July at Big Bear, it's for Dune Buggies, both Meyers and other manufacturers. It might be a good place to go and mingle with other Buggie advocates for ideas.

He also has a once-a-month Brekkie for Buggy People. I belive he has some elaborate archives, perhapes if you would like some kooky ideas, you could join thier club and see what sorts of assettes they have to help you.

Cheers

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bike Shack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-16 4:21 pm   Permalink

Kirby
Looks like a fun project.

How about we do a little metal art with the stinger?
You draw up some Tiki look that lets the exhaust come
out of the Tiki's mouth,and then use 1/16' sheet metal
and a torch to create the same tiki in metal. When you
go to a Tiki event you could run it really rich so that
the Tiki will shot big flames out of the mouth .
Scott

View Profile of Bike Shack Send a personal message to Bike Shack  Email Bike Shack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 3:37 pm   Permalink

Kirby...I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation of your dune buggy. I'm going to be looking for ideas from you because I want to do the same thing some day to my old Ford pickup. If you look in a recent thread of mine about a shipping crate bar you'll see the truck in the background of some of the garage pics. That will be (some day when I have some spare cash!) my tiki cruiser. I already have some cool ideas but can't wait to see yours and others tiki rides come to life.

If you have a whip flag mounted on the back you have to have it come up out of a 2ft or so piece of real bamboo. And of course the flag has to be a cool custom tiki head made by you!

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 3:49 pm   Permalink

Hey Kirby, any more updates on your buggy? I hope you didn't quit working on it? I liked this thread and I love your manx...how about any updates on the Olds V8 powered buggy?

Here are a few pics of mine...

Let's see some pics of other TCers bugs!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 4:16 pm   Permalink

Its just a lack of funds and time.. but i wiil definatly post progress as progress is made...

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 4:27 pm   Permalink

Good deal, I'm looking forward to it!

-Greg

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 7:02 pm   Permalink

Congratulations on having a car just for tikifying. Ive been working on my WV for 15 years and its still not done. I'll post a couple of pics on my art thread , maybe it will give you some inspiration. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 4:58 pm   Permalink

Well its been along time with no updates, so here goes.. I had high hopes for My lil dune buggy but things havent gone to plan.Because of some unfortunate circumstances the buggy has been sitting in the back yard waisting away for about a year and a half i think. About a two months ago, I decided get it back in shape and get it tikified.. well it kinda exploded and it ended up needing way more work than I have time for...

So I went search to find a buggy that didnt need as much work and was also street legal..
I found It!! and the tikified dune buggy project begins again.. Hopefuly with better results this time...

And now let the tiki project began...
Here are Some random photo's a a few things Ive been doing to it.. I will update as things progress ..

Crazy al pull

Clysdalle shift knob

Ill post more pics as I go.. mahalo...kirby

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2008-05-13 17:14 ]

JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 5:17 pm   Permalink

Looking pretty sweet already, Kirbs! Where've you been for the last 6 months man? We've missed you!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation