FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Does carving a Tiki on a living tree, cause it pain?
Does carving a Tiki on a living tree, cause it pain?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 10:05 pm   Permalink

I honestly don't know if it does or not.
But I got to tell ya, a Tiki on a living tree(to me)is a very beautiful site.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:13 am   Permalink

I don't know about causing pain, but depending partially on the type of tree, it might be a good way to kill it. Woody stems (as opposed to fibrous stems like palms) have their vasucular tissue located along the outer part of the stem, under the bark. The vascular tissue carries water up from the roots, sugars and stuff down from the leaves. If you carved into the vascular tissue you might effectively cut off the water and food supply, killing the tree.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:18 am   Permalink

My two coconuts on the subject from an old thread:

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 16:50, Humuhumu wrote:
...even if there have been trees that have survived the process of having their outer bark layers removed, it's just like skin, and it ain't just there to look pretty. Plants need that layer as a protective barrier against disease, not to mention the structural support it provides, and that in many plants the main conduction of water to other parts of the plant lie just below this surface, kind of like veins & arteries. Yes, a tree *might* live through it, just like if you stripped a good chunk of skin off the legs of a person, he *might* live through it. But it is mutilation, and not to be done lightly.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't be surprised when the tree falls over and conks out some unsuspecting passer-by because the tree is dead and the roots have withered.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
em-de-em
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-13 06:24 am   Permalink

No more than carving on your own leg...

[ This Message was edited by: em-de-em 2006-01-13 06:24 ]

View Profile of em-de-em Send a personal message to em-de-em  Email em-de-em Goto the website of em-de-em     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 10:18 am   Permalink

Look up girdling....

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 10:40 am   Permalink

Here is a thread on living tikis that I had saved.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 11:03 am   Permalink

..willows will weep, so be careful in choosing your tree.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 11:36 am   Permalink

My searching attempt failed me. Sorry to revive an old subject.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:08 pm   Permalink

There is an article in Wood Carving Illustrated, Spring 2005 issue #30, that describes how to carve a wood spirit in a live tree and keep it alive.

Back issues.
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/backissues.php

I wouldn't care to do this as there is enough logs around and I wouldn't trust my skill enough to not damage a tree. I don't think I could deface a living tree. But if you are going to try, it seems this guy has it worked out. But even the article says there is always risk of killing the tree or weakening it to the point of disease.
JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-14 13:05 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 7:28 pm   Permalink

Palms, no. Wayne Coombs (Mai Tiki) has done a few, and some are still strong after a dozen years or more.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 8:06 pm   Permalink

yes, it causes trees great pain and suffering.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 10:10 pm   Permalink

Where's my cell phone??????????!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 11:39 pm   Permalink

go ahead make my day!

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-14 09:36 am   Permalink

Aloha!
You know brah, all I can think about is a movie I saw back in early 90's called "clearcut" starring the native-american actor Graham Greene(I think thats his name,the bruddah from dances with wolves)...Anyway, The story was about the battle between the indian tribes in Canada and the greedy logging companies. Well, at one point Graham Greene kidnaps the president of the logging company and in one scene removes the skin from the guys leg, like the logging companies stripping the bark off of a tree. Very gruesome, painful scene but it makes sense...Trees are Living beings and I wouldnt want some bruddah carving into my trunk! But, Ive seen it done before and the tree lived but I wouldnt want the bad mana!!!

I guess youll just have to make a conscious decision about whether to carve or not...

Malama Pono!

[ This Message was edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-14 09:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-14 09:39 ]

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation