[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » "I Am Cuba" documentary
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
"I Am Cuba" documentary
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 08:59 am   Permalink

Tomorrow, Saturday 2:00 pm (West Coast) the Sundance Channel will screen an amazing 1 and 1/2 hour long documentary on the making of "I Am Cuba". To Cubans this film is apparently like "Citizen Kane" to US cineasts. To Tikiphiles, it contains the best Tiki bar scene ever put on film, using the decor of the defunkt Havana Hilton Trader Vic's.

No reference is made to that, but the lovely actress that goes bananas among the idols is interviewed.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 4:06 pm   Permalink

THANK YOU! I must see this, I Am Cuba is one of my favorite films, and I've been frustrated with the amount of info out there about exactly how and why this fascinating film came to be. Now to figure out how to see it, we don't have the Sundance Channel... :/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 10:03 am   Permalink

..I have a vhs new copy going up on ebay this weekend ....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 10:21 am   Permalink

I got the DVD yesterday, thanks to all of you, and I was amazed by this film. Woaw.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

"I am Cuba" and "I am Cuba, the Siberian Mammoth" are currently available on Comcast on Demand. Wow!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 6:16 pm   Permalink

Gotta see both of those, kids! That beginning! The roof top bikini fashion show-to-swimming pool scene! The Trader Vic's scene! The camera move over the crowd into the cigar factory! A-m-a-z-i-n-g!
..Then, in the docu, when the 76 year old dolly grip of "I am Cuba" is holding the new VHS/DVD of it in his hands, after it being forgotten for over 30 years, that's how it felt when I gave some Polynesian Pop old timers my book.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 06:52 am   Permalink

It's On Demand here as well. I love the "bamboo curtain" in Trader Vic's. The gals at the bar seem more Steven Crane. Those lights hung at head level around the bar are very interesting. The first 15 minutes of that is just priceless.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 1:49 pm   Permalink

A rare viewing in my home town (pop. 10,000)!

"Ribble Film Club -'I AM CUBA'
Date: 23rd Apr 06

Location: St Mary's Centre, (The Parish Hall) Church Street, Clitheroe

Time: 19:30 - 00:00

Start time 7.30pm. Cert PG

The Ribble Film Club meets on the 2nd Monday of the month at the New Inn, Parson Lane, Clitheroe. Everyone is welcome to attend - meetings start at 7.30pm.
Cost: Members £3.50, non-members £4.50 and concessions for students and seniors"

Stunning viewing on a tv screen, so it should be pretty special seeing it on the big screen.
Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 08:45 am   Permalink

Both the Doc and the original film are available through netflix http://www.netflix.com/Search?ff2_submit.x=17&ff2_submit.y=12&v1=I+am+cuba&hnjr=1
(it's a pretty cool service, I'm a member).

BTW- Which one has the cool tiki bar scene, the documentary or the original film?

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 8:41 pm   Permalink

The original has the scene with the Trader Vic's decor...once you have seen it, you're gonna be hooked, and you will want to see the "Behind the scenes".

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 07:14 am   Permalink

Here's a YouTube clip of the Copacabana scene that I posted on my weblog this morning. I wanna know who the swingin' band on the rooftop is! Marxism definitely never looked this hip before (or since).

I've also sent the poster of the clip a message, asking him to put up the Havana Vic's scene.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 09:11 am   Permalink

I see the movie is available on Amazon. The doc. wouldn't be one of the special features of the DVD, would it?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 1:36 pm   Permalink

Saw it last night (movie-not doc)--WOW! That's about all I can say--I'm speechless. I'll try for a few more descriptive words: Beautiful, sad, hip, TRIPPY! Director Kalatazov is a visionary genius. Some of the camera angles made me feel drunk.

Hope I'm not 'hurting anybodys feelings' by posting a few (poor) screenshots of the bar scene--could be good for business--BUY IT! SEE IT! LOVE IT!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 04:31 am   Permalink

My friend Lili from fwak! animation was nice enough to rip and post the nightclub scene to YouTube in its entirety last night, so I've updated my original post to include it.

Enjoy, comrades!

Update: Lili has added two more scenes shot at Vic's!

¡Viva la Mai Tai revolución!

Floorshow
Loco Amor

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-05-02 10:32 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 06:43 am   Permalink

This was so inspiring; it has led me to my next tiki project. I am DEFINITELY carving that big sucker in the clips! He is the coolest thing ever.

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation