FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Restaurant Records!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Restaurant Records!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 3:59 pm   Permalink

Anybody here collect restaurant records? I have recently perused though my collection and I didn't know that I had so many. This is a sub genre of advertising records that has not been talked about ANYWHERE!! Most of these were privately pressed in small quantities and are difficult to find. If so what do you have and where was it recorded?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 5:53 pm   Permalink

I have a few Burger Chef soundsheets somewhere... they always seemed to be about monsters... does that count?

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2006-01-17 17:54 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 05:09 am   Permalink

Fast food records are almost a category in themselves. I am talking about records that were recorded in a fine dining restaurant or supper club. Something like Adamono plays at Don the Beachcombers, or a piano player (forgot the name) plays at the Jamaica Inn, or Esquivel live at the La Margarita, (recently released on CD as the "Sights and Sounds of Esquivel." etc, etc. Records that were basically used to promote a restaurant. Thanks for replying though as I haven't heard too many replys on this subject.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-18 05:46 am   Permalink

I have a few records that fit in this category - although most of them are LPs of lounge acts, which happened to recorded at a nearby lounge or hotel restaurant. My favorites are the LPs that are personally autographed by the artists themselves.

A few years ago I created a personal compilation of the best songs from these LPs, and titled it 'Hammond and Drum Machines.' The results were quite good.

- Larry Rivera singing a fast 'Tiny Bubbles',
- a husband and wife duo singing 'More' with a drum track that keeps speeding up,
- a different husband wife duo singing their praises of South Dakota (recorded on green vinyl!),
- a German trio performing 'Hello Mary Lou', sung in German of course,
- a teen prodigy playing an almost Esquivel-ish 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' on multiple keyboards
- a reggae version of 'Shaft',
- a neat jazzy version of 'White Rabbit',
- two teenage brothers (organ and drums) playing the themne from the western 'Hang Em High',
- 3 different versions of 'Ode to Billy Joe.'

My favorite song though, is an act named Tony and Kathy Rich, performing their 'Love Medley' live from the Poconos - the back of the LP includes of a photo of a heart-shaped bathtub. The song is quite moving, almost a like a K-Tel record of favorite love songs with the audience bursting into applause as each song is introduced (never mind the fact that if you listen closely, you realize that the applause was dubbed in afterwards)

....and many more! Did I mention that all of the above Lps were autographed too!

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 06:31 am   Permalink

I have a bunch of limited production Christmas Albums put out by various companies each year. Firestone seemed like the most enthusiastic of the companies.

I have often wondered if other people found these items interesting.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:06 am   Permalink

There are a lot of those cheesy Tijuana style fast food lps like at Taco Bell, Der Wienerschnitzel, Pizza Inn and even Kentucky Fried Chicken (Pre KFC). I also have a Shakey's Pizza Record with all the ragtime jazz that is a nice period piece.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:08 am   Permalink

Hey Vern,

Hey Vern,

That's what I'm talking about! I think I may actually have that compilation of yours but I don't have a playlist for it. If you mind could you let me know, (either onlist or off) the artist's and restaurant for the records you have? That would be really handy. I will make up a similiar list so we can see just how many of these are out there. I am writing a small article on these and want to assemble some sort of list. I'd really appreciate it.

Christmas compilations are in abundance. Again, a whole other category. Probably one of the best though is the Kentucky Fried Chicken compilations that feature Colonel Sanders on the cover. I know of 2 or 3 different ones. Also Tijuana Picnic which has the absolute BEST cover of Colonel Sanders sitting down with a family with buckets of chicken all around! Great stuff!!

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:28 am   Permalink

Yeah, these were all made by a company called Mark 54. They made promotional records for Coca Cola, Taco Bell, Global Airlines, etc,etc. These are cool too! I love Pizza records as well. I must have 4 or 5 of those including one made for Jeno's Pizza called "Music to Eat Pizza By."

Quote:

On 2006-01-18 07:06, naugatiki wrote:
There are a lot of those cheesy Tijuana style fast food lps like at Taco Bell, Der Wienerschnitzel, Pizza Inn and even Kentucky Fried Chicken (Pre KFC). I also have a Shakey's Pizza Record with all the ragtime jazz that is a nice period piece.

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 08:34 am   Permalink

There's
- Hal Aloma at the Luau 400
- Martin Denny In Person (live at Duke Kahanamoku's)
- An Evening at the Royal Tahitian

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 08:54 am   Permalink

Well it's not tiki, but it's the Trenier's. Recorded live at the Cabaret Theater of Tony's Fish Market Restaurant in Miami in 1963.

Sounds good eh!

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2006-01-18 09:17 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-01-18 1:31 pm   Permalink

I posted this record cover from my sollection before on TC. Larry Riviera live at the Coco Palms Hotel. It's in 2 parts because I used a scanner.

Is this the same Larry Riviera album you have ikitnrev?

- Bajeht

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-01-18 13:33 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 5:33 pm   Permalink

I don't exactly collect them but neither do I shun them. In fact, there just happens to be one right here next to me and the turntable:

"...featuring GEORGE HINES and JOHNNY COCO, vocalists with the Hawaiian Room Orchestra, Don Plumby, orchestrator, produced by Tony Cabot."

From The Hawaiian Room in the Hotel Lexington NYC.

Anyone have that "Tan-Tar-A" resort LP that was in one of the Incredibly Strange Music books? I forget the name of the group (Tan-Tar-A Trio?) and don't have the book handy but I always wanted to get hold of that LP. Or at least hear a rip if anyone has it.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-01-18 6:10 pm   Permalink

Yes, the photo above is the same Larry Rivera LP I have.
Here are some pics of some of the groups I mentioned above

Die Goldene 3 (singing Hello Mary Lou in German)

Gene And Joey (Hang 'Em High)

Jolene and Bill Alexander (they sing More!)

Donna Dee And Dennis

Joe Alexander & Cookie De De (they sing 'South Dakota' - recorded on green vinyl!)

Hector Olivera (he does the wild Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da)

and my favorites, Tony & Kathy Rich, who perform the Love Medley, and Miserlou too! The Heart Shaped Bathtub photo is found on the back cover

Its a wild and crazy world out there.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 03:26 am   Permalink

I have two records that are hotel ones, does that count? One is Ronnie Prophet live at The Bahama Hotel, Florida (great version of Ghost Riders in the Sky) and The Keynotes at a hotel in Hong-Kong, they do a vocal (!) version o Taboo, great!

KK

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-01-19 05:39 am   Permalink

I have a Ronnie Prophet Lp too - recorded at both the Grand Bahama Hotel, and the Jolly Roger Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. There are no track listings - each record side is one long track, with various songs and comedy patter throughout each side. His is a fun LP - just one man, but very entertaining, and his guitar skills are a several notches above your typical lounge act.

Ronnie Prophet is a lounge performer who has since gone on to bigger things

Ronnie grew up in Canada, lived in Florida from 1964 to 1969, then moved to Nashville, where he operated a club for several years. From there he went back to Canada, where he had a television show and became a big country star up there. He currently has a show in Branson, Missouri, and last year he opened for George Jones on tour. I located one quote that had Chet Atkins naming Ronnie Prophet 'the greatest one-man show I have ever seen.'

Vern

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation