FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Restaurant Records!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Restaurant Records!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 08:16 am   Permalink

Great LP Kono,

I will have to keep an eye out for that one!!

Vern,

You are the man!! This is the stuff I am talking about. This thread is on a roll!!! Yes, Hotel records count as well. Most of these restaurants were actually located inside a hotel. I found at least 4 that were recorded in different rooms at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I even have one recorded at the Aku Tiki in Acapulco!

Great job guys!!

More More!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-19 10:39 am   Permalink

Great pics Vern! Thanks for sharing those. I love the one with the guy holding his woofer! But what is the black box he's holding in the other hand? He seems to be very happy with it.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-01-19 10:40 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 11:27 am   Permalink

Hey Jab,

Thanks for posting the "Nite Cap with Larry" LP. Vern included his version of "Tiny Bubbles" on his compilation CD. The cover is great though as he looks like Marty Feldman's psychotic little brother! HA!!

Has anyone ever seen Arnie "The Singing Bartender" at Arnie's Lounge? I have this album too. I will see if Vern can post this pic for me. It is hilarious. He actually has a tiki holding up his super cheap keyboard. Great Stuff!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-23 08:58 am   Permalink

Here are some of mine......

Grant Green at the Ta'boo' Club, Palm Beach, Fla-The Kahlis at the Kono Hawaii in Santa Ana, Ca-Johnny Coco and the Exotic sounds of the Hawaii Kai, NY-Adomono at Don The Beachcombers, Waikiki-Hal Aloma at the Luau 400-Martin Denny at Duke's, HI

Arthur Lyman at the Crescendo, Hollywood, Ca- The Surfers at the Latitude 20, Torrance, Ca- Arthur Lyman at the Port Of Los Angeles- The Fabulous Echoes at Duke's, HI- The Royal Samoans & The Royal Tees at the Royal Tahitian, Ranco Cucamonga, Ca- Quinn's Orchestra at Quinn's, Tahiti

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:52 am   Permalink

WOW!! Great pictures Bongofury. Looks like we are going to have to trade again. That Johnny Coco album at the Hawaii Kai looks awesome. Does this have audience background noise? I am particularly fond of restaurant records that have the ambience from the actual restaurant versus being recorded in the studio. How does the Royal Tees album sound? Thanks for posting these. I will hit you with a PM later if you want to trade.

Vern, that "Hammond and Drum Machine" compilation you made is great!! I listened to it over the weekend. Deb really likes the German version of "Hello Mary Lou." What a riot. Is the rest of the album just as good?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 11:11 am   Permalink

Nice work, guys. What a bout the alltime fave "The Polynesians- At the POLYNESIAN in Torrance"? and I have some harp player at "The Warehouse" in Marina Del Rey. Am in Germany again so I can't look it up.

I guess the Paul Page series does not count, though he made the same album with a different title and logo typeface for the following restaurants: a.) Ports of Call, b.) Pieces of Eight, c.) The Castaway, d.) The Reef.

And then, as a sub-genre, record COVERS photographed at Polynesian restaurants:

The Surfers did two at THE LUAU, Beverly Hills
The Outriggers did one at Trader Vic', one at Don The Beachcomber,
This Mexican guy, at The TIKIS...some Canadian guy, at the KON TIKI Montreal
Oh, and that GREAT Mariachi band at the Mauna Loa in Mexico City...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 11:42 am   Permalink

Heck yeah, Paul Page counts Bigbro. Too bad his stuff is nearly impossible to find. Thanks for the album list with photos taken at the restaurants. Do you have ANY of these? Anybody? These fall loosely into the category. All Polynesian restaurants (audio or picture) should definitely be included. This is where exotica started folks! In a restaurant!!!

I will be posting my list of over 30 restaurant records soon.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 09:56 am   Permalink

As promised......................

Jeff’s Restaurant Records

Adomono; A Night at the Beachcomber, Decca Records DL 4097
Recorded at Don The Beachcombers in the International Market Place, Honolulu, Hawaii. Includes 2 Adomono originals “Gypsy Rhapsody” and “Beachcomber Blues.” Nice masks in the background as Adomono plays a guitar that looks straight out of hell.

Arnie Aka-Nui; An Evening at Arnie’s Lounge, Palm Harbor, Florida CRS-1500
Arnie Aka-Nui was the owner of this establishment and became know for being the “singing bartender” around the area. Great cover on this one!

Bob Allen Trio at the Christopher Inn, Columbus, Ohio.
Jazz trio recorded at the Christopher Inn in Columbus, Ohio probably during the seventies. Nice gatefold sleeve on this privately pressed record. Signatures inside as well even though Bob is blind.

Abbey Albert at Lago Mar, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ART Records ALP-50
This album was released by ART Records. A label that dealt exclusively with “Live” on the spot recordings from different restaurants, supper clubs and lounges from around the Florida area. Features Jill Allen on vocals.

Hal Aloma; At the Luau, NYC, NY. Dot Records DLP 3367

Herb and Elena Ayers; Originals from LeDome, Private pressing HA 4828
This husband and wife duo play original compositions at LeDome of the Four Seasons restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Picture on the cover is from the restaurant itself.

Don Bolin Trio, Requests at Ricardo’s Restaurant, Columbus, Ohio. Musicol 1038

Henry Cabauy; at the Jamaica Inn Restaurant, Hannah Records L.P. 501
Recorded at the Jamaica Inn Restaurant, Miami, Florida.

Bing Crosby/ Trader Vic Bergeron; African Safari, promo 10” lp This item was sold or given away at select Trader Vic’s restaurant’s as a promotional item. One side has crooner Bing Crosby singing popular hits but in a safari manner. The flip side has a Buffalo Story as told by Trader Vic Bergeron.

Charles Davis at the Royal Hawaiian, Everest Records SDBR-1015
Recorded at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii

Martin Denny; “Live” at Duke, Liberty Records

Irving Fields; Dancing at the Taboo, Taboo Records no#
Recorded at the Taboo restaurant, Palm Beach, Florida

Glenn and Bill “Live” at the Anchor Inn, Coronet Records
Recorded at the Anchor Inn Motel in Columbus, Ohio

Berne Hal-Mann; Hilton Hawaaian Village Presents…, Sounds of Hawaii SH 5008
This was recorded at at Hilton Hawaiin Village in Honolulu, Hawaii. This album also features one time bass player for the Arthur Lyman group Archie Grant.

Hurricane Hattie; Hurricane Shakes up the Coconuts, Arco ALPM-502
Comedy/Piano routine that was recorded at the Tiki Motor Inn, Lake George, N.Y.

The Hyltonaires; Big Bamboo, Wirl Records (West Indies Records Limited) WIRL 1041
Calypso music recorded at the Jamaica Hilton Hotel

Danny Kaleikini, Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, Mahalo Records, S-4004

King Eric and his Knights, Bama Hit Parade, Carib records LP 2008
Recorded at the Bama Supper Club in Nassau, Bahamas. Nice front and back pictures of the restaurant and detailed liner notes.

Ray Kinney; Luau at Waikiki, RCA Victor LSP-2885
Recorded “Live” at the Long House at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu, Hawaii.

La Plata Sextette; Swings at the Raleigh Hotel, Seeco CELP 4690
Recorded at the Raleigh Hotel in South Fallsburgh, N.Y.

Ricardo Lemus at the Aku Tiki, Acapulco, Mexico, Yepa Records

Arthur Lyman; Latitude 20, Hi Fi Records
; At the Port of Los Angeles, Hi Fi Records
; Aloha Amigo, Hi Fi Records, (cover picture taken at The Islander, CA)

Donna Marie; Keyatics, Private Pressing
This album was recorded at various supper clubs in Columbus, Ohio

Woody Martens; The Wild and Mild Sides of, ART Records ALP-46
This album was recorded “Live” in the Fox’s Lair Reynard’s restaurant, Lake Worth, Florida.

Kay Martin and her Bodyguards; at the Lorelei Room, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Freddie Munnings; Nassau Hiliday, Famo Records LP 1001
This Calypso album was recorded “Live” at the Cat and Fiddle Nightclub, Nassau, Bahamas.

Rose Netane; Welcome to my World, South Eastern Pecords no#
This album was recorded at the Kon Tiki Supper Club at the Hawaiian Inn, Pete Beach, Florida. This album contains an original song called the “Kon Tiki Theme.”

Blue Pau; Hawaii Calls at the Fireside, Jeeree Records NR15812
Released in 1984 this record was recorded at the Fireside Restaurant, location unknown?

Max Penton; Sings a Safari Serenade, private pressing
Recorded at the Safari Restaurant and Lounge, Scottsdale, Arizona

Mario Peralta at the Regency, Rose Records 0691R-6413
Recorded at the Hyatt Regency, Atlanta Georgia

The Polynesians; Polynesia, Crown Records CST-169
Front cover and back photos taken at The Polynesian Restaurant, California

Larry Rivera; A Night Cap with Larry, CoCo Palms Records LPS 2867
Recorded at the CoCo Palms Hotel at the Royal Lagoon terrace, Kauai, Hawaii

Bob Swerer; at the Safari, Century records, 28051
Recorded at the Safari Nightclub, Fort Collins, Colorado

Exotic Sounds of Tiki Gardens, private pressing
Home of the Trader Franks Restaurant this is an audio tour of the entire Tiki Gardens in Florida.

The Torchlighters; Coco Palms presents, Coco Palms CPS-101

Clay Wheeler; A Night with Clay at Canlis, private pressing 100
Recorded at the Canlis Polynesian Restaurant, California. Awesome picture of the entire building on the front cover.

Vern and Bongofury,

Can you send me a list of what you guys have. I would really appreciate it. Send it either here or my home email address. Thanks!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 10:38 pm   Permalink

Coo-elle! Love some of those titles, especially "Ricardo Lemus at the Aku Tiki, Acapulco, Mexico" and "Kay Martin and her Bodyguards; at the Lorelei Room, Fort Lauderdale, Florida".
From when is the Aku-Tiki one? Good cover? and the Kon-Tiki Florida sounds intriguing, too.

Was there a Canlis in Calfornia? I thought only in Waikiki and in Seattle. The Waikiki was an A-frame built by Wimberly and Cook, and eventually was turned into a police station, until it was razed a couple of years ago. The Seattle one is still there, and I wonder in what (renovated?) condition. Nobody I know has been there, because it is a tie only/shi shi/way too expensive place, still.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-01-25 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-24 22:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Was there a Canlis in Calfornia? I thought only in Waikiki and in Seattle. The Waikiki was an A-frame built by Wimberly and Cook, and eventually was turned into a police station, until it was razed a couple of years ago. The Seattle one is still there, and I wonder in what (renovated?) condition. Nobody I know has been there, because it is a tie only/shi shi/way too expensive place, still.

I checked it out in the late 90s. The decor was nothing remotely Polynesian or even tropical. The original modern 1950s building elements that remained such as the beams, rock, and plate glass windows (and view) were impressive. We didn't stay to eat because of the prices - we just snuck a look.

It was remodeled again in 2005, and judging from the web site it looks much better than the 1996 remodel. The contemporary furniture and art goes much better with the exposed wood and rock then the faux-Mediterranean look it used to have. It's no longer Polynesian but I would be willing to splurge on a meal there someday. The food is reported to be great.

http://www.canlis.com/tour/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 2:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-24 09:56, Jeff Central wrote:

Jeff’s Restaurant Records:

Blue Pau; Hawaii Calls at the Fireside, Jeeree Records NR15812
Released in 1984 this record was recorded at the Fireside Restaurant, location unknown?

Jeff,
That is from the Fireside in Ft. Atkinson, Wisconsin. It was (and still is, at least last time we went there– about '98) a dinner theater that is popular with the senior set. They served their drinks in the big OMC Moai mug (customised with their logo) and the small glass goblet.

I just picked up a second copy of this record if anyone wants to trade.

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 3:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the update Duke! That's why I love this place it is so full of knowledgable people. I will update my list accordingly. If you have any other duplicates not on my list, please let me know Duke.

Sven, the Richard Lemus at the Aku Tiki has a wonderful cover of Richard (the drummer) surrounded by thatch and some tikis with a really cool bamboo font that says Aku Tiki on it. I will see if Vern can post the picture for me, as I am a virgin when it comes to posting graphics, unless it has gotten easier.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 10:31 am   Permalink

Oh man...Kon-hembsy, that Treniers album is awesome. I saw Claude Treniers play at the showboat in AC before he died. He was like 82 still rockin. It was an awesome show.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 5:51 pm   Permalink

I've got several of those already mentioned. I've included some photos of lps not already mentioned, or mentioned but without a photo yet:

First, a few from the Hilton Hawaiian Village:

The Hotel Tahiti

Charles Davis at the Royal Hawaiian (this lp has a signature song, "At The Royal Hawaiian Hotel". I love signature hotel/restaurant songs)

Another photo of the lp from the Royal Tahitian in Ontario, California

Some pics from the Canlis album

Finally, Jeff - do the tikis in your Aku Tiki album look anything like the ones on this album by Grupo Guerrero? My lp says it was produced in Acapulco, so I've been assuming it was taken outside the Aku Tiki, but I'd love some corraborating evidence.

I also have a small promotional 45 from the LUAU Restaurant in Atlanta, GA with the restaurant's jingle being sung by a corny but sparkling chorus. It's one of my prized possessions.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-01-26 17:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-06-23 16:43 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2006-01-26 11:15 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more, maybe some of these have been mentioned...

To go with thejab's Larry Rivera collection, Coco Palms Records presents Larry Rivera at the Coco Palms Hotel in Kauai. And speaking of hotels in Kauai that are extinct...

Sounds of Hanalei featuring the Holo Holo Trio and the Maka Trio at Hanalei Plantation (now gone).

Rene Paulo Plays in Person, live at the Shell Bar in Hilton Hawaiian Village. Wow, what an artistic cover! But don't blame the record company, Mahalo Records. They're also responsible for this fantastic cover...

Lanakila's Polynesians Polynesian Potpourri, recorded at Int'l Market Place in Waikiki.

Ray Kinney and his Aloha Serenaders, the Voice of Aloha, recorded live at Waikiki under the keawe tree at Halekulani Hotel. Also at Halekulani...

Twilight at Halekulani. As the liner notes on the back say, the trio is "officially The Alice Fredlund Serenaders but are known more affectionately as The Halekulani Girls or just simply as The Girls." Check out this ad - same trio?...

Also, cross-posted from the Ilikai thread, there's always these two:

And lastly, a couple borderline related LPs, but still kinda interesting...

Ernie Heckscher at the Fairmont (and we all know what restaurant is in The Fairmont)!

Max Morath at the mighty gold bar, at the Imperial Hotel in Colorado.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation