FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Music ╗ ╗ Restaurant Records!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Restaurant Records!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 03:13 am   Permalink

Great pictures Sabu and aquarj,

This thread keeps getting better and better. The Canlis album was recorded at the Canlis Charcoal Broiler in Honolulu, Hawaii, not California as previously thought. Thanks for the correction. The tikis in the Aku Tiki album are not good enough to compare since they are small and kind of hidden Sabu, so I am not sure how to compare them. The back even has more photos of the grounds and of the outside of the restaurant. Look for a picture soon. I would love to hear that Royal Tahitian album. Let me know if interested in a trade or two. Also, I too love albums that include a signature song relating to the establishment. That "Luau" single sounds right up my ally. In fact I am working on a compilation of the BEST restaurant records with an emphasis on the Polynesian ones of course. Let me know if you, or anyone else here, would be interested in contributing to this project. Thanks for all the valuable input!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 07:06 am   Permalink

And then I have two copies of Tihati, a great floor show from a 70s Waikiki hotel.
When I used to dj I sometimes spun both of them more ore less simultaneously, to a wild effect.
How I came across two copies in the north of germany within a year or so I have no idea.

KK

http://www.kawentzmann.de

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann 2006-01-27 07:08 ]

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 08:43 am   Permalink

One issue is the Arthur Lyman AT THE PORT OF LOS ANGELES. That isn't an "on site" record. That is just a compilation of tunes from his previous albums that was used to promote trade.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 10:35 am   Permalink

You are correct Digitiki!

Also, if you happen to have a copy of Lyman's "Port of LA" that was given out by the Port of LA the back covers are printed in COLOR. The regular release was done in B/W. I am also going to check the validity of "Latitude 20" and see if this is a live recording or a studio recording. "Live" at the Crescendo is definitely a live recording.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 2:04 pm   Permalink

Shoo-weed shtuff, guys! That Canlis album is a treasure...but so are many others here!
Keep 'em coming, warms my heart in freezing Alps-country.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-29 11:46 am   Permalink

Here are a few more LP covers, from the collection of Jeff Central

This just became my all-time favorite tiki cover - love the wood paneling!

and proof that Tader Vic's travels took him to places other than the Polynesian islands

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 12:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks Vern!!!!

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 06:08 am   Permalink

Well, between eBay and the recent Record Convention here in Columbus, Ohio I managed to find a total of 13 more restaurant records.

Here are just a few......

1) An Evening at Johnny Lee's (Hilarious cover with 2 guys eating Chinese food complete with tiki salt and pepper shakers on the table).

2) Bill Dean; Live from the "Terrace". (includes a version of "Quiet Village."

3) Richard Lemus at The Islands. (Sadly no pictures on this. The front and the back is a generic white cover with text only. Sounds like studio recording as well.) This was The Islands restaurant in Phoenix.

4) Mike "Malihini" Scott live at the Waikiki Restaurant in Kitchener, Ontario in Canada.

5) Los Pinguinos at El Shrimp Bucket (Roughly translated as The Penguins at the Shrimp Bucket) Great stuff!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 10:01 am   Permalink

Here's another restaurant/bar record - this time from the Aloha Bar at The Beachcomber (Mayfair Hotel) in London. Sorry that the photograph is so horrible, but the cover is truly awful - the less than attractive band-leader in front of a blurry backdrop of the least Tiki part of the bar. CÚst la vie.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 10:03 am   Permalink

Balls - Shutterfly has cut off the bit at the bottom of the record where it states 'The Aloha Bar - Mayfair Hotel'.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 10:29 am   Permalink

Hey Trader Woody,

Nice to see our overseas neighbor jump in on this thread. Boy, that guy on the cover is UGLY!!! Thanks for posting!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

bellybongo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-15 04:45 am   Permalink

Jeff, here's one for you:

ebay number: 4832946384
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mike-Malihini-Scott-Hawaiian-LP-recorded-in-Canada_W0QQitemZ4832946384QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike Malihini Scott and the Hawaiianaires
Live at the Waikiki (Canada)

I can recommend the seller too

Best,
Magnus

PS Arnie Aka-Nui is great

View Profile of bellybongo Send a personal message to bellybongo  Goto the website of bellybongo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 07:34 am   Permalink

Thanks Magnus,

I just recently picked that album up from a friend of mine here in the states. Still sealed too! It is actually a pretty good album. I love the steel guitar. Thanks for letting me know though. I really appreciate it. If you find any others please let me know, especially oversea stuff.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pastor_McPurvis

Posted: 2006-02-19 8:56 pm   Permalink

Hey Jeff and others!

Responding a little late to this but just wanted to chime in that I collect Restaurant Records also. If you want to check out my stash, I've put up a quick and dirty list over at:

http://www.vinylorphanage.com/restaurant_records.xhtml

I've also got a bunch in a sub-category for cruise ship records - records of performing groups on cruise ships and sold as souvenirs.

I'll see if I can get some scans up in the next few days. It has been great to see what other folks have and to learn I'm not the only one out there accumulating this stuff.

All the best,

Pastor McPurvis

View Profile of Pastor_McPurvis Send a personal message to Pastor_McPurvis  Email Pastor_McPurvis Goto the website of Pastor_McPurvis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 07:06 am   Permalink

Hello McPurvis,

First of all welcome to Tiki Central. Your #1 source for all things TIKI. I could not get your link to work. I went to your main site but could not locate the restaurant records that you spoke of. I am very curious to see what you have.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation