FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Restaurant Records!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Restaurant Records!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 11:51 am   Permalink

What album are you talking about nibblegribitz?

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 10:08 am   Permalink

Four different organists doing their thing @ the Grinder, c.1975. One guy whom I can only think of as a prankster actually does the theme from The Exorcist! Having pesto dribbling off your chin while thinking of Linda Blair - must've been great for the appetite!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 4:12 pm   Permalink

Mentioned earlier, but I came across this recently, so here's a bigger pic:

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-05 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-18 13:31, thejab wrote:

Just picked this record up at a garage sale here in Minneapolis. A couple of good tunes: Pineapple All Around, Shells, Tiny Bubbles (upbeat version), More. The lady at the garage sale said to me after I bought it "Enjoy your nite cap with Larry." And I DID!

A side note: the tune SHELLS is really really ripe for a new exotica band to pick up and do a cover of. I don't run across it much, but when I do I always enjoy it. If anyone out there is in a band looking for a tune that's not as well known but is pretty interesting, check it out.

glen
http://www.kfai.org/jetsetplanet

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 07:20 am   Permalink

Larry Rivera is also Ernie Menehune's younger brother!!

Who knew!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 09:22 am   Permalink

hey Jeff, do you know if there is a Brother named Barry,
there is a Barry Rivera that was in surf bands back in the 60's

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-08 09:22, bigtikidude wrote:
hey Jeff, do you know if there is a Brother named Barry,
there is a Barry Rivera that was in surf bands back in the 60's

Jeff(btd)

They come from a family of 10 so it is quite possible.

I'll ask Ernie when I see him in a couple weeks.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 11:15 am   Permalink

Cool thanks.
my Buddy Jim Frias was in the Chantays, and then the Nocturnes, both south Orange County surf bands, and he said he knew a few of the Revera Brothers, and said it was a huge family, I bet he is related.

thanks again,
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 11:58 am   Permalink

Just uploaded a rip of George Paoa live in Kaanapali. A sort of cheesy piano bar recording, but the version of Hasegawa General Store is now in rotation in the Hideaway forever...

See it all
HERE

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 06:29 am   Permalink

Nice find Swanky!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-16 11:59 am   Permalink

yes, thanks, swanky!
'diggin' on the George Paoa Live!
Anybody else have any rips of these out of print gems???

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 5:35 pm   Permalink

Danny Kaleikini Live at the Kahala Hilton Hotel on the beach at Waialae. Hula Records, Inc. Price tag from Sears and Roebuck is dated 5-11-72

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 6:11 pm   Permalink

Sorry... got carried away when I saw the other Hotel records.....guess this one isn't really considered a Restaurant record.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-13 06:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-12 18:11, Lukeulele wrote:
Sorry... got carried away when I saw the other Hotel records.....guess this one isn't really considered a Restaurant record.

Yes it is Lukeulele!!

I consider a restaurant record any privately pressed record that was recorded inside of a restaurant, hotel, motel or nightclub. On-location recordings are the best but there are lots of studio recordings out there as well.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-21 11:00, nibblegribitz wrote:
Hi,
That's my father, George Hines, on the album.
He had the band at the Hotel Lexington for a while in the mid-fifties.
He also had the band at the original Roney Plaza in Miami Beach when they had a Polynesian show and dinner outside in the gardens.
They even built a stage with a large volcano that covered it.
They would open the show with one of the knife dancers blowing a conch shell at the top of the volcano. By the way, Kui Lee (I'll Remember You) was one of the knife dancers.
He later had the show at the Yankee Clipper in Ft. Lauderdale for several years (when it was still MAI KAI) and recorded an album.(my two brothers and I sang harmonies on several of the tracks)
He and I(I got a small portion of his talent) were the first haoles to play there.
We did the show and also played in the Molokai bar.

That album cover looks like it's in excellent condition!!!
How's the vinyl???

To follow up on Kui Lee...

He was at the Mai-Kai early on. He built a little hut on the property and made the reed hats and stuff that he gave to guests for tips. He was a very personable man and multi-talented as we now know. Fireknife dancer, carver, singer and song writer. In his wikipedia bio it says he was at the Hawaiian Room, and maybe that was a standing gig or with Nibble's dad. Regardless, he left the Mai-Kai gig and went on to great fame in Hawaii writing songs for Don Ho.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2012-01-11 16:17 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation