FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Welcome...to Forbidden Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Welcome...to Forbidden Island
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3172
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2006-05-01 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-01 10:44, thejab wrote:
Last night was a nice uncrowded (but fairly busy) night. Several big shots (executives, chefs) from Trader Vic's came in! They must have liked it because they stayed a while. Plenty of German was spoken. Prost!



Verrry Interrresting! A couple of us were talking the othe night wondering if FI is on Trader Vics radar--apparently it is! I hope the powers that can be will encourage the new (like Vegas) Trader Vics to keep up the tiki decor!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 12, 2002
Posts: 7446
From: Huntikington Beach
Posted: 2006-05-01 8:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-01 12:18, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-05-01 10:44, thejab wrote:
Last night was a nice uncrowded (but fairly busy) night. Several big shots (executives, chefs) from Trader Vic's came in! They must have liked it because they stayed a while. Plenty of German was spoken. Prost!



Verrry Interrresting! A couple of us were talking the othe night wondering if FI is on Trader Vics radar--apparently it is! I hope the powers that can be will encourage the new (like Vegas) Trader Vics to keep up the tiki decor!



Or better yet, a Forbidden Island for Vegas too!!

More Tiki Bars!!!


 
View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 2986
From: Tradewinds Apartments, Alameda, CA
Posted: 2006-05-03 10:55 am   Permalink

4 more drinks to go!

Drink tally after last night:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (3)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo
Mystery Bowl (thanks tikicleen and drunkenhat!)
Royal Hawaiian
Island Mai Tai (pretty good as a pineapple tropical drink but I prefer the classic)
Fog Cutter
Chamborlada (need a visit to the dentist after this one, but it was delicious)
Spindrift
Mango Dacquiri
Leilani Volcano


 
View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 77
From: Alameda Island, CA
Posted: 2006-05-04 12:27 am   Permalink

Aloha from the FI,
Congratulations to "The Jab" aka Dean,local Island Boy, for being the first to complete the tour through the menu of thirty eight drinks at the newly opened Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge. It took "The Jab" ten days to complete this regime of libations. His last task was to drink the infamous Scorpion Bowl, which as most of us have experienced, has a wicked sting and is usually shared with others as a communal drink. Okole Maluna to "The Jab" for his auspicious endeavor.

A warning to travelers to Forbidden Island......The Alameda Tube(tunnel) will be closed on May 8th(Monday),9th(Tuesday),and 10th(Wednesday) from 10 PM until 4AM. To leave the Island after 10 PM, proceed from FI, turn right down Lincoln Avenue to Park Street and turn left. Cross over the Park Street Bridge into Oakland and follow the signs to 880.

This epistle was written with the aid of one Monkeypod, one Sidewinder Fang and one Coconut Kalaloo. Much thanks to Jungle Jim, Mixecologist extraordinaire.
Nitey night,
Tikiboy
_________________
HO'OMANAWANUI


 
View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 2986
From: Tradewinds Apartments, Alameda, CA
Posted: 2006-05-04 09:22 am   Permalink

Final tally:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (3)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo
Mystery Bowl (thanks tikicleen and drunkenhat!)
Royal Hawaiian
Island Mai Tai (pretty good as a pineapple tropical drink but I prefer the classic)
Fog Cutter
Chamborlada (need a visit to the dentist after this one, but it was delicious)
Spindrift
Mango Dacquiri
Leilani Volcano
Dacquiri
Fugu (for 2 - me and myself)
Guava Dacquiri
Scorpion Bowl (shared w/almost everyone)

Done!

Favorites: all of 'em! I don't like narrowing it down like that because sometimes I'm in the mood for a strong drink, sometimes for a tart drink, sometimes for a sweeter drink. But, I really loved the China Clipper, Monkeypod, Sidewinder's Fang, Combover, Captain's Grog, Krakatoa, Painkiller, Mango Dacquiri, Zombie, and Royal Hawaiian.

Now I need to taste all the rums. I already started last night with the Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum (a great rum).

Thanks Martiki, Conga Mike, Mano, Sonya, Thayer, and Jungle Jim, and all the folks at Forbidden Island that I've met and drank with! See you in a couple of weeks as I'm off to Memphis for the Ponderosa Stomp!


 
View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3172
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2006-05-04 12:17 pm   Permalink

The Jab's scorpion bowl!


See more images of the bar here;
http://www.yelp.com/biz/A0n5zp4aNFrIQ3rdjkxxLA

 View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3172
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2006-05-09 2:12 pm   Permalink

I now know why Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays-it has NOTHING to do with giving Martiki and the employees a break, the real reason is to give us local customers (and our livers) a break!
_________________
I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S, Vintage, Vegas & more on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!


 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 2986
From: Tradewinds Apartments, Alameda, CA
Posted: 2006-05-10 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-09 14:12, mrsmiley wrote:
I now know why Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays-it has NOTHING to do with giving Martiki and the employees a break, the real reason is to give us local customers (and our livers) a break!




i'm having a great time here in memphis. the music has been phenomenal - pedal steel master from the texas playboys herb remington made me cry last night - and there's the barbeque, ooowee! but i miss forbidden island like the dickens! i would love to live here in memphis but without forbidden island? fergettit! my liver would be getting a rest but george dickel won't give me a break!

golly i love you forbidden island!


 
View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 3058
From: http://www.smugglerscovesf.com
Posted: 2006-05-10 11:29 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the kind words, el jabbo!


I'd like everyone to join me in welcoming the newest member of Team Forbidden, our new bartender Chris! Chris has a lot of excellent years of bartending experience and comes to us with a true passion for mixology. Chris will be lending a hand on Sundays and Tuesdays, and will eventually cover Wednesdays and TC night so ol' Jim can finally get a break. Come on by and say hello!

Here's my only picture of Chris so far, which is, I suppose, appropriate:



 
View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 3058
From: http://www.smugglerscovesf.com
Posted: 2006-05-10 11:39 am   Permalink

While I'm here, I'll throw up a couple of random pix I've got:


Big trouble












Check out Kahaka's sweet ride!


Dig the stick!


People you're VERY likely to meet at FI.


The big night- #38!


Just the one straw, then.


Victory tastes so sweet.


 
View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 07, 2005
Posts: 2272
From: The Polynesian Port of NOLA
Posted: 2006-05-11 10:00 am   Permalink

I protest! There just aren't enough photos of me!!



~T


 
View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKini
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Jul 24, 2002
Posts: 34
From: SF Bay Area
Posted: 2006-05-18 9:44 pm   Permalink

Tomorrow is my birthday and we're going to celebrate by going to FI, but I have two questions -- my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him? We're planning to go late afternoon/early evening, just for an hour or so. He's really cute... Also, as I am breastfeeding, are there good low/no alcohol drinks? BTW, I grew up in Alameda and I am really looking forward to seeing the change from Lincoln's Address!

 
View Profile of TikiKini Send a personal message to TikiKini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 24, 2002
Posts: 1800
From: Ocean Beach, San Francisco
Posted: 2006-05-18 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-18 21:44, TikiKini wrote:
my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him?



Yes, but not until he's 21.


_________________


 
View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Joined: Mar 29, 2002
Posts: 3058
From: http://www.smugglerscovesf.com
Posted: 2006-05-19 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-18 21:44, TikiKini wrote:
Tomorrow is my birthday and we're going to celebrate by going to FI, but I have two questions -- my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him? We're planning to go late afternoon/early evening, just for an hour or so. He's really cute... Also, as I am breastfeeding, are there good low/no alcohol drinks? BTW, I grew up in Alameda and I am really looking forward to seeing the change from Lincoln's Address!



Thanks for you interest! Unfortunately, the ABC is quite strict on this- as many mai tais as I'm sure your son was planning on drinking, he won't be able to come, I'm afraid.

We've got lots of non-alcoholic options- ask our great bartenders for some suggestions!


 
View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 3172
From: Las Vegas, NV
Posted: 2006-05-19 11:22 am   Permalink

Although Forbidden Island has tasty snacks to eat, it does not have a full kitchen and it is not a restaurant. Since it is classified as a bar, no one under 21 is allowed. I do hope your birthday is a blast. --smiley

Quote:

On 2006-05-19 11:15, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-05-18 21:44, TikiKini wrote:
Tomorrow is my birthday and we're going to celebrate by going to FI, but I have two questions -- my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him? We're planning to go late afternoon/early evening, just for an hour or so. He's really cute... Also, as I am breastfeeding, are there good low/no alcohol drinks? BTW, I grew up in Alameda and I am really looking forward to seeing the change from Lincoln's Address!



Thanks for you interest! Unfortunately, the ABC is quite strict on this- as many mai tais as I'm sure your son was planning on drinking, he won't be able to come, I'm afraid.

We've got lots of non-alcoholic options- ask our great bartenders for some suggestions!




 
View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation