FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Maui_Matt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-24 5:32 pm   Permalink

Was there at one time a "Tiki" restaurant at Sea World? I seem to remember a restaurant that had a lagoon with aligators that you crossed, and then into the long-house style restaurant. Its been so long, that I can't remember too well.

I was shocked to see how different sea world looks now vs 10 years ago. Amazing that they ripped out so much.

View Profile of Maui_Matt Send a personal message to Maui_Matt  Email Maui_Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

That was originally The Hawaiian Punch Pavilion. I think it changed when Anheiser Bush took over. I remember the gators from when I was a kid. I think inside it was more tropical (Hawaiian)than Tiki.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-25 07:18 am   Permalink

Here's a picture from Sea World in Orlando. Unfortunately, I have no other information.

[ This Message was edited by: SoBeTiki on 2002-11-25 07:20 ]

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-25 10:38 am   Permalink

I have some fairly good pictures of this - I will try & post them tomorrow!
It is very sad to see how much SeaWorld San Diego has ripped out - there was some stunning architecture there in the late 60s- early 70s...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2002-11-25 10:43 am   Permalink

Wow. Thanks for posting that, SoBe

I had no idea that there was a Hawaiian Punch Village at the Orlando Sea World. Here's a picture of the one at the San Diego Sea World:

They both look similar. The San Diego one definitely had some tikis as poles in the front, but I don't remember what it was like on the inside. I wish I had paid closer attention when I was a kid.

Now all we need is for Maui_Matt to tell us which one he was remembering. Thanks again for the info, SoBe.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-05-17 02:14 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-25 1:21 pm   Permalink

I think he was after San Diego.... There was also a cute Hawaiian Punch animatronic show on the interior foyer - like I said I'll bring some other pix to upload tomorrow....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-25 1:56 pm   Permalink

ho, dat place rocks! I neva knew of da kine??! I have choke pictures of me on those floating killer whale rides when I was a kid.
Cool pictures!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-26 11:40 am   Permalink

Believe it or not:

There was once a Sea World in Cleveland, of all places, which has since been absorbed by new Six Flags developments in the area. They had a Hawaiian Punch Village too. Long gone, or course. sigh...

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-26 3:46 pm   Permalink

OK - so I thought I'd post some pictures from my collection & give a little info on the few Tikis that could be found at Sea World San Diego....

Sea World was the brainchild of George Millay (along with some frat brothers at UCLA), and opened in 1964 with many unique attractions.

Like most amusement parks that design on a grand scale, the early years found many of the shows & attractions subsidized by corporate sponsorship. The Murata Pearl Japanese Village, Richfield Hydrofoil & Theater Of The Sea (Starkist) were all examples of this.

STARKIST THEATER OF THE SEA

To the best of my knowledge, the Hawaiian Punch Village opened along with the others in 1964. It was housed in a polynesian styled A-frame, with 2 kiosk-like huts out in front.

THE VILLAGE IN 1964

Located directly in front of the Village was a "Dolphin and Whale School" - ostensibly used to train the mammals - but it's size seems to indicate that it was more for show....

The first year, the environment was sparse - but I believe the tikis shown in Sabu's postcard were added around the same time as the Hawaiian Punch band...

Crossing the bridge to the A-frame, you would pass over an alligator pool. The interior of the restaurant featured table service (with the usual fast food items), Hawaiian Punch (naturally), and travel films projected in several locations...

Inside the left kiosk/hut was a unique attraction - the "Hawaiian Punch Village Band" - a animatronic display featuring HP mascot Punchy, Opie (or Oaf), and the various Sea World animals (like Shamu, etc..) all singing a Hawaiian Punch song...

I spoke with designer Wes Cook who created several features of the park in 1997 about the design of the figures. He recalled that (like most projects at Sea World) they had very little money for the figures - so he designed the display, and a young artist was called in to do the sculpting very quickly... This display probably went in around 1966-67.

PUNCHY

OPIE

Of course, the restaurant had many suggestions for mixed drinks featuring Hawaiian Punch!

BACK OF POSTCARD (NOTE TIKI IN BACKGROUND!)

The restaurant portion of the Village remained in operation at least until 1994 (the time of my last visit) - but the Hawaiian Punch & Tiki elements were removed at some point in the early 1980s. As usual, no one I've talked to can tell me what has happened to the props or animatronic figures....

If you guys want, I can do a part two on the adjacent Lagoon Show which featured a tropical theme & one lonely Tiki....

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-09 10:33 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-26 8:23 pm   Permalink

Anyone who wants to see the 1960s Sea World San Diego on film go and rent Jerry Lewis' "The Big Mouth". Lots of exteriors in there, and the Hotel scenes were all shot at the nearby Mission Bay Hilton, which back then was DEL WEBB'S OCEAN HOUSE, and had lots of Tikis on the grounds, plus a huge Polynesian scene mural at the beach. It's restaurant was the Jolly Roger Lounge, which ended in a ship's prow.

Yet the interior Tiki restaurant scene in the movie looks like a set, with the same fiber glass Tiki that showed up in the Buffy episode (courtesy of Oceanic Arts).

But what I am fascinated with is the exterior sequence where Jerry climbs up on this outrigger wall divider that is decorated with masks and shields clearly designed by the same artist who did the Kon Tiki Hotel Phoenix sign and wall plaques. Yet I have seen another picture of that wall that does not have the masks on it. Were they just film decor? Or added later? Who was that artist who did those unforgetable Kon Tiki Hotel masks? Will I ever find out? HELP!

"The Big Mouth" is great fun, but then I am European, we LIKE Jerry Lewis movies!

Del Webb was Bugsy Siegel's contractor for the Flamingo in Vegas, then he build himself THE MINT, my favourite pink neon googie palace in old Vegas. I got to photograph my dad in front of it before it quietly was dismantled.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui_Matt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-26 11:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Now all we need is for Maui_Matt to tell us which one he was remembering. Thanks again for the info, SoBe.

Sabu

Thanks Sabu! That was the Sea World I was thinking about. I've never been to the one in Orlando. Amazing how I remembered that. Last time I was at Sea World, I was told the restaurant is now for private functions. Oh well.....

There was another restaurant that used to be at the other end of the skyway ride. I think it was called Atlantis. I seem to remember some sort of Polynesian art inside, but I could be confused. It was very long ago.

Mahalo

View Profile of Maui_Matt Send a personal message to Maui_Matt  Email Maui_Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-27 09:45 am   Permalink

I believe Atlantis was opened in 1965 - On my last trip there, the restaurant was closed & had been turned iinto offices for Sea World staff...

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-27 10:12 am   Permalink

Thank you so much for that awesome pictorial, Tangaroa. There's so much knowledge out there in Tiki Central Land.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2002-11-27 3:10 pm   Permalink

My Thanks as well, Tangaroa!

That's some great info. And great pictures. How did you become so intimately involved/knowledgeable about all things Sea World? (And I vote for some pictures of the Lagoon Show - if you've got time).

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-28 6:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-27 10:12, floratina wrote:
Thank you so much for that awesome pictorial, Tangaroa. There's so much knowledge out there in Tiki Central Land.

Quote:

That's some great info. And great pictures. How did you become so intimately involved/knowledgeable about all things Sea World? (And I vote for some pictures of the Lagoon Show - if you've got time).

Sabu

No problem! I've always been involved & interested in Theme Park/Amusement Park history - of particular interest to me are the parks I went to as a kid growing up in So Cal in the 1970s - so I've gone out of my way to collect info on Sea World & Marineland, POP, Disneyland, Knott's etc....
Actually, Sea World & Marineland items are remarkably cheap on E-bay - so that's where most of my knowledge comes from. Although, I used to work with Wes Cook at Imagineering, so he shared a bunch of info & copies of his concept art for Sea World (as well as other parks - in addition he was a designer on H.R. Puf-n-stuf & the original McDonaldland characters were his too) - but I digress.... Also did some interviews with some of the original employees hired in the 1960s last year (one of whom was the sister of the girl on your Hawaiian Punch postcard, Sabu) - that was set up by the PR dept at Sea World - so it was a little weird, even though I got some good info out of it...
I'll post more pix of the "stranded on a tropical island" dolphin lagoon show next week - I'm here in Oakland with the in-laws for Thanksgiving right now!
Thanks for the thanks!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation