FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-29 12:54 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa sez"I'm here in Oakland with the in-laws for
Thanksgiving right now"

Mr Smiley sez--I hope you ar egoing to Trader Vics for at least drinks!!!

Also I will be selling some stuff at the Alameda Point antiques Faire this Sunday (Dec. 1). I think you can get info by calling this number-510-522-7500.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-29 7:57 pm   Permalink

No - we are going to try & beat the traffic back to LA by leaving Sat. night.....
I need to go to Trader Vics up here - I've only been to the one in Bangkok!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-04 9:59 pm   Permalink

Looking through my postcards last night, I found this card of the dolphin show. Closer inspection of the card shows an interesting tiki out in the lagoon and the entrance to the Hawaiian Punch Village is visible behind the lagoon.

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2003-12-04 22:02 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 09:49 am   Permalink

Tangaroa,

This is the exact kind of post that brought me to Tiki Central. Informative, Historic, very relevant and extremely cool. Great images.

I have lived in San Diego for most of my life and recall going to Sea World and the Zoo almost every year on school field trips. I have many fond memories of Sea World as it WAS. My absolute favorite part as a kid was the Japanese Pearl Divers and the Hawaiian Punch pavillion. I remember eating at the pavillion with my Grandma.

There is still a little bit of Tiki influence in one of the Gift Shops.

Thanks again for a great post.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I can't compete with some of the Tiki experts on this board, but I do have a lot of theme park history info (my former occupation, still my obsession!)... You may also enjoy this post about George Millay, founder of Sea World:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6060&forum=1
Unfortunately, he wouldn't (or just got tired of my questions) give me info about the Hawaiian Punch Village - I'd really like more info on that (and better pix of the "Punchy" band - and the holy grail - audio & or video of the interiors!)....

-Tangaroa

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-25 13:56, GECKO wrote:
ho, dat place rocks! I neva knew of da kine??! I have choke pictures of me on those floating killer whale rides when I was a kid.
Cool pictures!

Hey Gecko -
are you describing the "kiddie" killer whale ride, that had little whales as ride vehicles? If so - any chance you can post those pictures? I have no documentation of that, other than a map & vague childhood memories....
- Tangaroa

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-26 20:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Anyone who wants to see the 1960s Sea World San Diego on film go and rent Jerry Lewis' "The Big Mouth".
But what I am fascinated with is the exterior sequence where Jerry climbs up on this outrigger wall divider that is decorated with masks and shields clearly designed by the same artist who did the Kon Tiki Hotel Phoenix sign and wall plaques. Yet I have seen another picture of that wall that does not have the masks on it. Were they just film decor? Or added later? Who was that artist who did those unforgetable Kon Tiki Hotel masks? Will I ever find out? HELP!

Sven -
Is the wall you are describing? (I still haven't seen the picture yet!)

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2005-08-18 17:00 ]

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 9:26 pm   Permalink

I have some vague recollections now about the Hawaiian Punch Village in Orlando. The little AA figures were there to, in a window display.

I remember attending a luau show in an outdoor theater there that featured lots of audience participation. This probably would have been back around 1984-1986.

If I remember correctly, the land started to lose it's theme when the restaurant switched to an "Al E. Gator's" which was a popular eatery at "Florida Festival," a sort of ersatz Lake Buena Vista under large inflatable tents, located across the street from the park. When Florida Festival closed, the restaurant moved into Sea World and it was sayonara Hawaiian Punch Village, along with the Japanese pearl divers.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-08 9:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the memories!

I was just thinking about Sea World, San Diego the other day and here you’ve been talking about it! I really like the photos from Tangaroa; they remind me of my childhood.

The other day I was talking with my 5th grade students about the Japanese pearl divers there in the ‘70s and memories of the whole park came back. I not only remember the divers, but the dolphin show in the lagoon, the dancing water attraction, and especially the Hawaiian Punch Pavilion. I remember ordering kid cocktails there and I even remember getting a souvenir mug, which may have been a tiki. But, alas, it vanished many years ago and my memory of it is vague.

Mahalo for all the great memories, and keep the pics coming if you have anymore!

TikiSteve

View Profile of TikiSteve Send a personal message to TikiSteve  Email TikiSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 2:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I have a pretty good collection - I may write an article on it one of these days....

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 12:35 am   Permalink

A few pics from a guide book dated 1976

These type of fountain shows must have been popular in the late 70's. The Disneyland Hotel had their own version called "Dancing Waters'. It was a FREE (imagine that from Disney today) nightly show outdoors behind the SeaPorts of the Pacific pavillion.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 6:17 pm   Permalink

(UPDATED 8/18/05 - fixed dead links & added some more photos...)

Great aerial shots ZuluMagoo! I think I have that guidebook - but I don't remember that shot... Anyway - you've inspired me to upload some more pics...

The entrance - designed by Victor Gruen & Associates - had this awesome A frame...

This aerial shot shows what a nice mix of polynesian & modern Sea World originally was...

Here's a few more of the Dolphin Lagoon Show in the opening years - they had a polynesian theme, with thatched huts for the dolphins - but it was pretty sparse....

Later they added an erupting volcano & this fella....

The amazing Theatre Of The Sea building originally housed this show, hosted by an animatronic Charlie The Tuna. I wonder where those figures ended up? (There were 4 indentical rooms for the show.) It was torn out to build the Shipwreck Rapids ride a few years back.... Thanks Busch.

The strollers were even Shamu & dolphin themed... There used to be a little kiddie ride where the vehicles were made out of the same stroller body - anybody remember this? Or better yet, have any pictures?

UPDATE 8/18/2005: I posted this last year when I went through my Grandfather's old negatives.... Thanks Grandpa!

Lastly - here's a recent find my friend Dan Goodsell turned up - another shot of the Hawaiian Punch pavilion animatronics... I wish I had better photos - even, dare I wish for it - audio of the show?

Yes - I need serious help.

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2005-08-18 16:57 ]

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-19 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all who posted these amazing photos. They brought back memories of growing up in San Diego. In high school I took Oceanography and we went to Sea World every week! This was in the late 70s so much of the good stuff was still there. I can't remember much of what I saw in high school, but I do remember some of the stuff in the pictures from when I was a younger kid. I guess we're so engrossed in ourselves as teenagers we don't really notice a lot of things.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 7:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the memories!

I was an employee at Sea World of San Diego from 1988 thru 1996. It was only supposed to be a "summer job" but I ended up working their 8 years. It was a great job. Fun place to work, nice people, great benefits, and the company treats you well.

When I first started HBJ publishing owned the park along with having the Japanese Village still intact and the Sparklettes Water show. The employees of the Japanese Village were pretty much their own little group. Most of them were veterans that had been working their for 10+ years and had no intention of leaving.

When Anheuser Busch bought Sea World in 1990, quite a few changes took place. The company really cleaned up the park and added new attractions and updated the older ones. Unfortunately the Japanese Village was taken away, along with the employees, because it seemed to be a bit outdated for it's time. Personally, I like what the park has done with the landscaping after the conversion.

When I left the park in 1996, the Sparklettes water show was still running. No, it wasn't a blockbuster show however it was a nice escape on a hot California summer day! I believe the show has now closed....

Thanks for sharing the picture. Sea World is a wonderful place to work, especially if you are young, because the company is flexible with hours and takes good care of you. Many employees started working their (like me) thinking this was just a summer job and end up staying 20 years and making a career out of it.

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 09:21 am   Permalink

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!

I remember seeing that Sparkletts water show back in the early 70's, and it was one of the most beautiful things I ever saw. But I had only a memory of the image, I forgot where it was and the fact that it was Sparkletts-sponsored. Wow! Some incredible things happen here.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation