FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-18 03:23 am   Permalink

This thread brought back a lot of memories- of the Sea World at Geauga Lake/Aurora in Ohio. I believe they also had an Hawai'ian themed area with Tikis and a Hula show- my visits would have been back in the early 70's.

We also had the Pearl divers, a japanese pavillion of some kind, and an outstanding waterski show- but hey, I was small back then...maybe it wasn't as amazing as I remember.

In any case- this may also be another root of Ohio Tiki heritage. After all- Hula and Cleveland- two words you cewrtainly don't automaticly associate.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 1:36 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I remember seeing the pearl diving show in San Diego, too--it burned some kind of image into my mind, seeing those divers go under the water, viewing them THROUGH the water...

I never thought I'd see a picture of that water fountain show. This is totally startling to me! It's a "wow" kind of moment.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 06:03 am   Permalink

The artifacts that still existed at Sea World San Diego were walled off from the public eye. A buddy of mine who works there told me that they actually auction off the items in "lots". I have been riding him for more info. The last time I went it looked as though it was all gone(the restaraunt). If I get any more info I'll be sure to post it.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 10:45 am   Permalink

Ironic!

I spent the day at Sea World yesterday (which I DO NOT recommend doing with a newborn, by the way...)

Sadly - the Hawaiian Punch A frame was completely raized. Just gone - as if it was never there.....

Can you tell me a little more about the auctions youare talking about? If there is anything from the Hawaiian Punch Village - I'd like to know about it....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:25 pm   Permalink

I still need to talk to my friend. I think he meant they would take groupings of various items and auction them off in some parking lot somewhere. It was not an advertised auction but one held by invitation only. I will try to get ahold of him as soon as I can.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:48 pm   Permalink

Wow! Living in San Diego all my life I can vividly recall the Sparkletts Water Show, Charlie the Tuna, Atlantis, the pearl divers ( neatest thing I ever saw as a kid) and the Hawaiian Punch drinks made just for kids! I think Hawaiian Punch used to make some sort of orange flavor at one time. My drink was always some orange/banana blended thingie with lots of cherries. OMG now I need to get out my blender.

I also recall the Hydrofoil Boats. Anyone else? They were such a blast to ride on. I found a link but wasn't sure if I should put it on here. (?)

I miss the Sea World of those times. Really made you feel closer to the sea, if that makes any sense. Now it's a bit touristy for my taste.

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 1:21 pm   Permalink

Yes - I was hoping to encounter a little bit of the buildings that were there in my childhood... but they all seem to be gone! With the exception of the Japanese Pearl Diver Village (now the Morey Eel caverns & Ray exhibit) - there's not much left....

Even the old fashioned aquarium walk throughs seem diminished. I was hopein at least to post pictures of the old A frame Hawaiian Punch building to show a "Then & Now" comparison - but it's gone gone gone....

What a bummer!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 12:30 pm   Permalink

O.K. I got ahold of my friend and he told me that all the restaraunt items got hauled off and sold. He wasn't sure exactly when. He also wasn't sure if they were auctioned or not. I only hope whoever got them will keep them in good shape. Who knows? We might discover a new TC'er who has a recreation Sea World Tiki bar one day.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 1:32 pm   Permalink

Arrrrrgh!
So frustrating. Probably went in the trash.... (A lot of Knott's & Disneyland artifacts have ended up that way as well...)

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 2:08 pm   Permalink

God I hope not. I'll ask my friend to dig a little deeper. Maybe somebody there knows something. At least the souvenir coffee mugs are still floating around.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-18 08:13 am   Permalink

These photos were developed in July, 1972. . I believe they were taken by my sister on a visit with Mom and the Step-Father as I can see the back of his balding head in one shot. I don't see any Tikis and it looks like maybe they removed one where the Volcano was installed. Sorry for the poor quality of the floor show photos, but I think they were shot on a Kodak Insta-matic. That cube flash rivals the digital crap-cam I have.......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures. I always like pictures of Sea World. I didn't even know there was a Polynesian show until I read about it in this forum. Any chance of getting larger scans of those photos you posted?

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 1:57 pm   Permalink

Bongo -
Those last pix of the "Polynesian Revue" are interesting! Are they from the Hawaiian Punch pavillion? If so, it would be great to see them at a higher resolution (if possible)... I have some nice interiors from Oceanic Arts, but I gotta save them for an upcoming Tiki Magazine article!

Ruka

Posted: 2006-03-12 10:06 pm   Permalink

I wanted to drop in and say thank you so much for posting all these photos! I mean wow, it's not everyday you see these kind of pictures of SWC! I was wondering if anyone knew where in the park was the wnderwater dolphin show was?

View Profile of Ruka Send a personal message to Ruka  Email Ruka Goto the website of Ruka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 07:17 am   Permalink

The "underwater" dolphin show? Perhaps you mean the Theater of the Sea:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation