FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 06:09 am   Permalink

Mods and carvers,
After my near pinky loss i have been thinking about the need for a safety thread. I think if we all started compiling our lists of safety procedures and equipment we could pool them together on one master post, lock it and sticky it at the top for all to read easily and often in the creating Tiki forum.

So I will start with some ideas:

After my close encounter and after i became aware that i was OK, my wife who witnessed it, said to me, " you know, i would not have known where to take you if you had been hurt." I looked at her and told her that i wouldn't have known where to tell her to take me. Scary thought. We talked about it for a while and now we know.
So, when using power tools try and have someone else around in case you need help, and know how and which place to go in the event you need emergency care . Of course 911 is always a first option, but when you know you don't need an ambulance ride, knowing the easiest route will help.

Make sure there is a phone around to use. We try and keep a phone in our working area and cell phones make that a little easier. The last thing you want to do is fumble around for a phone when your hand is bleeding.

Read the instructions to your new power tool. If your like me, the first thing you do, it tear the new tool out of the box, plug it in and try it out...often the tools come from the factory with loose blades, and fasteners not tight. I save all my manuals in a file ans keep them in the shop for quick reference if i need them, and have started using a high-liter pen as i read the manuals to highlight the more important features. It forces me to read the manual now.

These are just a few things to get us started. Please add anything you see fit. Lets keep us safe.

A big Mahalo to all for this.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-06-09 05:09 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 06:26 am   Permalink

A First Aid kit is a must!
Betadine is a great antiseptic
I recently cut my finger with a chisel and it came in very useful.
At first I jokingly asked my partner Anjy to pass me the surgical needle and thread so i could sew it up myself, she nearly passed out at the thought.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 06:51 am   Permalink

I think this thread is a great idea.

One of things my company does is when there is an accident or "near miss" they send an email out telling what happened, why it happened, and what could have been done to prevent it. We could use this thread to do the same sort of thing. There are a lot of people out there trying carving for the first time. Some of the tools are very dangerous and this thread would be very helpful in preventing accidents. I know I did some very wrong and unsafe actions when I started (probably still do only I don't know better).

I'm sure we have all done something stupid and afterward thought "I was lucky, another quarter inch and..." We can all reflect on and learn from each others near misses.

We could also share ideas on how to make the carving area safe, such as how to keep electric cords from getting wrapped around your feet and potentially causing a trip hazard.

Just my thoughts
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 06:57 am   Permalink

Wow! I swear to God I was just thinking about a thread like this on Saturday (when I almost caught a piece of 2x8 in the head via the table saw). Of course, I don't know what to say. I was wearing my goggles anyway. Always wear your goggles!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:22 am   Permalink

JP, great idea about making the working area safer...i am always tripping on power cords...any easy, good ideas on how to mount them out of the way?

More on the goggles...AlohaStation mentioned he was sanding this weekend and got an incredible ammount of dust in his eyes...Even thought he was wearing safety glasses. The difference is glasses only protect the front, goggles wrap around the side.

This is great feedback already...keep it up.....

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:36 am   Permalink

#1 on everyone's list has got to be EYE PROTECTION. I need bifocals (which I don't yet have) and I'm guilty of removing my glasses for close-in carving work. BIG MISTAKE. If you find that safety goggles don't give you a clean/clear enough picture, consider wrap-around shooting glasses available at sports stores. Although they cost more, they have optical-quality plastic lenses and are easy to keep clean.

That's my $.02

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-18 08:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: makutiki 2006-04-13 15:13 ]

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 08:41 am   Permalink

I've been using a flip-down clear plastic full face mask made by ..I think the company is AOP.
It not only saves the eyes, but limits the dust getting into my other orifices even when I'm also using a respirator. I've previously ruined 2 pairs of glasses, now with pitted lenses, because of flying wood chips.
Oh, and don't chain saw in your slippahs.

[ This Message was edited by: HelloTiki 2006-01-18 08:42 ]

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-18 08:41, HelloTiki wrote:
I've been using a flip-down clear plastic full face mask made by ..I think the company is AOP.

I was just going to suggest this. Goggles don't work very well if you wear glasses.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-18 08:59 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 09:38 am   Permalink

I agree with everything so far. Also don't forget to at the very least get a box of the cheap foam throw away ear plugs. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing that you just don't notice until it creeps up on ya. I work around loud machinery at my work and wear em all the time. Some home power tools can be pretty darn loud. Save the ol' ears too.

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 09:39 am   Permalink

Best thing that works for me are two things:
1. concetrate on what you are doing at ALL times.
2. If you are tired,STOP working or your work and more importantly you will suffer.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 09:47 am   Permalink

wear a cartridge respirator if you are sanding or cutting and creating particulates. paper masks don't work. you can get them at Home Depot for about 12 bucks.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 10:16 am   Permalink

Hey guys,

I think this thread is a great idea. Over the years I have taken some major hits and had some serious surgical reconstruction, although most were non-carving related. Anyway, I need all my parts so I try to protect them every way I can. The folks who saw me carve at the Tiki Jam saw that I am very serious about my safety.

When I carve with the chainsaw I wear tall steel toe boots, jeans, Kevlar wrap around chaps, heavy leather gloves with chain stop material, a long sleeve shirt, safety glasses, ear protection, and a face screen/shield.

When I'm using a grinder or other rotating nasties, I always wear a cartridge respirator in addition to much of the safety gear above. I also wear the respirator when using power sanders.

It's a good idea to keep a first aid kit out in the garage or workshop so that if you do take a hit, you don't have to go find it inside...somewhere. Plus, your spouse would probably get real pissed if you squirted blood all over everything inside.

Last but not least, I always make sure my wife or a neighbor knows that I am chainsaw carving and either they stop by or I check in with them periodically.

I also recommend marrying an Emergency Room Doctor like I did. Having a trauma doc at home is a big plus for a chainsaw carver!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 10:31 am   Permalink

Be aware of, not only the tools you are using, but also what you are carving. Wood and sawdust burn - make sure you electric cords are in good shape. Plus sawdust has a reputation of self cumbustion, so make sure you dispose of sawdust quickly and elfficiently.

The type of wood you are carving has an effect on many aspects of health. Eye protection is only cause for concern. Breathing sawdust is another - always wear a mask! Certain woods can cause serious damage to lungs and sinuses. Also many exotic species can also cause rashes from direct skin contact - learned that the hard way.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-19 08:00 am   Permalink

From the book of "Dum and Dummer", chapter: Learning The Hard Way While Not Paying Attention:

Do not check the temp of your hot melt glue gun by squeezing it out onto your fingers.

Do not test aerosol foam insulation's cure rate by sticking your fingers in it.

LavaLounger
slow on the uptake

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation