FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-09 05:08 am   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-09 05:52 am   Permalink

How could I forget this!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-09 06:07 am   Permalink

And don't put chisels point side up in your pockets. Right danny?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-09 06:58 am   Permalink

Heh Heh!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-16 12:09 pm   Permalink

Kaga,

If your respirator has just HEPA filters you should replace them when you notice that it is more work for you to breathe. HEPA filters actually perform better the dirtier they are, it's just more work. If it is a combo filter (HEPA and usually organic vapor) you should replace it when you notice that the smell of the organic is penetrating the cartridge (assuming that it was filtering it to begin with).

Important note: Make sure that you are wearing the respirator correctly and that you have it adjusted right. There should not be anything, such as hair, between the respirator and your skin. When adjusting it, fit it so that when you cover the cartidge inlets and breathe in it draws a vacuum on your face and holds it (it does not need to super tight to do this). Store it in a ziplock bag to prevent it from being damaged and to keep critters (like spiders) out of it.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-18 01:20 am   Permalink

Wow, this is a really great thread. Glad to hear wisdom from the sage, lucky and formerly wounded.

The stories here make my own old wounds ache just thinking about it. None from from carving or the college building scenery days.

To share a story about long hair, a friend of mine learned the hard way that even loose longish strands in close proximity to tools is bad, if not embarrasing, idea. Yes, he had his long hair pulled back BUT some strand from the forehead area had come loose. Somehow, he was using a screw gun and his loose strands got wrapped up in the drill bit. Well, I don't know the uglyness of the initial injury. However, anyone could tell something happened from the rectangular bald patch in the center of his front hair line. Yes, he was the "head" butt of jokes for a while.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 12:07 pm   Permalink

Bump

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 05:44 am   Permalink

I have never been injured while chainsaw carving in FlipFlopps and I have the scars to prove it!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 8:22 pm   Permalink

bump...

[ This Message was edited by: loki 2006-08-28 04:58 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 10:30 pm   Permalink

After reading through this thread I found it scary that the in all the talk about respirators, the only thing mentioned was this: There should not be anything, such as hair, between the respirator and your skin.
That should be a given! I've seen too many people with beards trying to use a dust mask or respirator, only to end up getting the finest of particulates leaving a trail where they got through to the sinuses. As silly as it sounds, I know a painter that puts a thick layer of vaseline on his beard line where the respirator makes contact. He is the only painter I have ever seen not have an entire face full of paint from spraying all day. He also replaces the respirator every two months. Not just the cartridges, the whole thing.
Another point that was never mentioned is when you see someone using a power tool, do NOTHING to distract them! Even if you know what they're doing is wrong, wait until they're done and then say something. This point is near and dear to my heart and I have the scars to prove it. Power tool safety is a very big deal to me, my friends will attest to that. While I may not always do the safest of things, I do know my limits.
Sorry to ramble, I'll get down from the soap-box.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 02:33 am   Permalink

Seeing as one of my mistakes prompted this bump, I'll add one of my golden rules which I stupidly ignored today in through impatience and not taking the time to think though my process.
When using burrs of any type in your dremel/foredom/rotary handpiece of choice, avoid the temptation to overextend the burr to get deeper into a piece. Make sure at least half if not 3/4 of the shank is pushed down into the collet. If not, the burr will almost certainly bend where it meets the collet, and you will have a miniature flail spinning at tens of thousands of RPM that will make you lose control of the handpiece and smash anything it comes in contact with. Luckily for me it was a piece of stone today and not my fingers (I've done it before and should know better).

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 7:15 pm   Permalink

Heath,

Read through the entire thread, there is considerably more info about respirators. The problem is that I am not going to post a 20 page message to regurgitate the ANSI respirator standard. I cannot make specific recommendations for individuals without some considerable background info on what they are doing. I do occupational safety for a living and I find it laudable that there is even any info on safety for something that is a hobby. I wish more small companies would take the same amount of time Loki has put into this thread to educate their people.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 8:37 pm   Permalink

Another point of interest may be what to do in specific situations. I follow the MSDS sheets for all the chemicals at my job. The basic deal working with chemicals such as stains or adhesives is pretty much the same.
1. If a chemical gets in your eyes - flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists get medical attention.
2. If it gets on your skin - wash with a gentle soap and water.
3. If it is an inhalation issue - Remove to fresh air, give artificial respiration if needed seek medical assistance.
4. This one is a little different depending on the chemical but
If ingested - drink one to two glasses of water or milk. DO NOT induce vomiting seek medical attention. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.(best to check labels for first aid on the specific stains or whatever being used.)

I know a lot of this is common sense but common sense can vanish real quick in a panic type situation.
Great thread.
Cheers.
Matt

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

Surf tiki,
I'm sorry if I seemed kind of pissy in my post, I really didn't mean to. The point I was trying to make is that if you have facial hair (i.e. moustache, goatee, beard...), be very particular when choosing a respirator. I've seen too many people rely upon the advice of their "local do-it-yourself professional". I too, am very happy to see that "common sense" is not so much an oxymoron here at TC as it seems to be becoming in the rest of the world.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 06:36 am   Permalink

Figured I'd bump this since we seem to have had a few injuries lately. I guess Loki and I forgot to mention a few other safety tips such as:

Don't set yourself on fire
Don't do dishes (BTW Lake, that is, unfortuantely, not all that uncommon an injury)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation