FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 07:26 am   Permalink

Surf Tiki = Industrial Hygenist....lol

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 11:13 am   Permalink

Set yourself on fire??

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 2:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Yeah Yeah, I KNOW Better but I'm just lazy. I use the chisels for an hour with NO Sawdust and pick up the grinder for 2 minutes then back to chisels, then the sander and so on and so forth. Don't you love my excuses? I break all the rules but no more.. Mask foever for me, PERIOD!!
Thanks for bumping this up

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 3:35 pm   Permalink

I don't think this has been discussed. If you use propane or any gas to burn carvings make sure all fittings are tight and you have a fire extinguisher around. Cause it sucks when you here a small gas leak while your burning, shut off the valve on the hoses to tighten things up and it back flashes into itself behind the shutoff valve. Causing a minor explosion that takes some of your hair off including a lot of nose hair and eyebrows. If you panic like I did you throw the torch and hoses that are spewing flames into the corner of your shop where there is about 6 inches of saw dust and a bunch of tools laying, run for the door of your shop because you don't know how bad you are burned. When you make it to the door you realize it does not matter how bad you are burned cause a corner of your shop and some expensive tools are now in flames. So you run back in grab the fire extinguisher( pure luck I had one of those laying around )and put out the blaze. All worked out ok it just added a little character to a few tools and my face for a few months.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 06:32 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-02-08 07:26, McTiki wrote:
Surf Tiki = Industrial Hygenist....lol

Ding , ding , ding! Stop calling folks we have a winner (or at least close enough to be one).

Let me add again, Don't set yourself on fire.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 11:25 am   Permalink

keigs, Thanks I needed a good laugh today. The mental picture I got of that was fricking HEE-LARRY-US

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 11:39 am   Permalink

Ok, Basic safety measures broken down by tool:

Chainsaw: (GMAN, fill in where I leave a blank) Face shield, Heavy gloves, leg gaurds, and shoes that preferably offer at least .5 seconds of protection before the skin is touched by the teeth.

Lancelot: Face Shield, respirator, Heavy gloves, hair tucked way away from this machine, Leg gaurds (optional) shoes that offer the aforementioned protection.

Cutzalls (1/4") : Same as Lancelot

Dremels: Goggles, respirator type mask.

Chisels/Gouges: gloved hand and possibly Goggles depending on how fast and furious you are.

Burning: If you are using a propane line like Kiegs, use soapy water over all fittings prior to igniting. Otherwise, use the can and single fitting/nozzle.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 12:47 pm   Permalink

McTiki,

I also use a chicken foot on a string.

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 12:51 pm   Permalink

Yu Da Man! Sprinkle some voodoo on this already dificult art.....

Nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 1:27 pm   Permalink

should gloves be worn with the lancelot? couldn't they bind up and cause further damage?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 4:23 pm   Permalink

I wear rough leather gardener's gloves that are tight fitting. It will not prevent the Lancelot from hurting you, but it will reduce the amount of damage caused without doubt. It will not get caught up in the blade unless intentionally placed in the mouth of the Lancy! (which we all know....you just won't do) The gloves are worn more for the particulates that are produced at such high speeds (32,000 RPM).

Mahalo

McTiki

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-09 5:15 pm   Permalink

Wow...some pretty scary stories here and really great safety guidelines. This thread should be a MUST-READ for all new carvers or people even thinking about carving. Power tools and even hand hald can cause serious irrepairable damage. Great thread!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 06:46 am   Permalink

Does anyone have any info on how toxic bone dust may be for your lungs? I haven't read this whole thread yet, but could someone recommend a respirator that works for a guy with a beard and is still affordable? Thanks.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 1:16 pm   Permalink

I'll check into the toxicity question when I get to work and have access to references. I suspect that it is more of a hazard to due being a respirable particle than from any chemical toxicity.

As far as the respirator, that is a tricky question. In industry the only respirators that work effectively with beards are "hood-type" ones. These are not all that readily available and they use a powered pump to supply air. If you have a thick beard you may be able to get away with wearing a N95 surgical type mask as your beard will actually act as a filter. If the toxicity of the bone is low (which is what I would suspect) this is probably adequate. You can also set up a system to pull the dust away from you using a fan (or big shop vac) with some sort of enclosure to work in.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 1:50 pm   Permalink

i don't know about bone, what about ivory? is it the same? i usually wear a respirator when sanding, but not grinding. the particulate is so much larger it doesn't suspend in the air. i wear it to just keep the smell out if for nothing else.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation